Education Quandary

Hurlshort

I was watching my local news this morning, and apparently there are a few school districts in California that are unable to balance their budget. The State is saying that they will be taking over those districts. I suppose that would make sense if it weren't for the fact that:

A. California was unable to balance the state budget

B. The government has cut education funding in the billions, resulting in the budget problems that these districts face.

I really feel like I live in a bizarro world when I hear stuff like this.

I was watching my local news this morning, and apparently there are a few school districts in California that are unable to balance their budget. The State is saying that they will be taking over those districts. I suppose that would make sense if it weren't for the fact that:

B. The government has cut education funding in the billions, resulting in the budget problems that these districts face.

Well they can't balance their budget because they are spending trillions more than they can possibly make. CA already has the highest state taxes in the country and businesses and taxpayers are leaving the state by the tens of thousands. How many congressional seats did you guys lose? One? More? That is leaving behind the people who depended on those taxpayers for their "benefits" but who don't pay taxes thelselves, and a handful of billionares and millionares whos own tax bills could not possibly balance the budget for one year if you confiscated their entire net worth. And rather than fix the problem you guys vote in a governor who's plan is to tax more and spend even more... if thats possible, But what does he care, once he bankrupts the state the federal government will step in and bail it out and all of America will get to pay for CAs insanity.

Sorry Hurlie, I don't find that surprising at all. How about cutting the pay for State Legislators and officers 30% accross the baord. I bet they never considered that. How about cutting property taxes and business taxes to entice people to come back? That will never happen under Brown. If I were you I'd be better than half way to Arizona or Nevada by now! They need good teachers there too and likely treat them better!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Am I the only person who can see that the answer for those schools is to form pirate tribes and prey on the lucrative west coast shipping routes? A cross between Swallows and Amazons and Blackhawk Down.

[note: I was going to do a quote mashup at this point, but I can't find my copy of either book.]

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Am I the only person who can see that the answer for those schools is to form pirate tribes and prey on the lucrative west coast shipping routes? A cross between Swallows and Amazons and Blackhawk Down.

[note: I was going to do a quote mashup at this point, but I can't find my copy of either book.]

What, change Talk like a Pirate Day from "crap, I don't know any somalian" to a cross californian surfer dude meets valley speak?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well they can't balance their budget because they are spending trillions more than they can possibly make. CA already has the highest state taxes in the country and businesses and taxpayers are leaving the state by the tens of thousands. How many congressional seats did you guys lose? One? More? That is leaving behind the people who depended on those taxpayers for their "benefits" but who don't pay taxes thelselves, and a handful of billionares and millionares whos own tax bills could not possibly balance the budget for one year if you confiscated their entire net worth. And rather than fix the problem you guys vote in a governor who's plan is to tax more and spend even more... if thats possible, But what does he care, once he bankrupts the state the federal government will step in and bail it out and all of America will get to pay for CAs insanity.

Sorry Hurlie, I don't find that surprising at all. How about cutting the pay for State Legislators and officers 30% accross the baord. I bet they never considered that. How about cutting property taxes and business taxes to entice people to come back? That will never happen under Brown. If I were you I'd be better than half way to Arizona or Nevada by now! They need good teachers there too and likely treat them better!

Well, we're bailing out Greece and Ireland, probably soon Portugal, Spain, Italy and Belgium, so it would only be fair for you guys to feel royally reamed, too.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I know we have the whole.. "global economy" and ripple effects.. but it still strikes me as odd to have a government tell the public that they're in trouble , that there have to be budget cuts, that all sorts of things have to get slashed to "make do".. and then the next day they cheerfully announce they happen to be giving x billions to another country to help bail them out of similar troubles.

Along with the theory "if their economy tanks, they'll have massive unemployment, they'll all come over here and steal your jobs, and you'll be unemployed. So we give them money to keep their economy working so they won't come over here."

From a limited understanding it just seems so counter-intuitive.

Or is it just turning into a giant shell-game where they keep passing the money from country to country so every government can slash public spending? :lol:

Paranoia must know!

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Country bailouts are a disturbing notion. Not necessarily because they are the wrong thing to do (the alternative seems worse), but because the government was so incompetent it let it get that far in the first place. Basically it screams "we declare bankruptcy!" except they never have to actually mention the politically and economically loaded word 'bankruptcy'.

I still think the government woul d have got away with any amount of bailout if they'd randomly selected one in ten bankers and crucified them. The best bit being I bet the bankers would go for it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.