RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Maria Caliban

Contestant for worst name ever?

Not if it has a pic of Private Joker in classic pose on the cover.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Is the story in Two Worlds 2 any good?

judging by the intro and the first two areas, it's crap.

a wizard captures a powerful demon and somehow traps it in a human body (some girl) and with this new ally usurps all power in the land. you play the girl's brother, who's instrumental to wizard's plans. a group of orcs storms the palace and helps you escape. you get told that there's a prophecy (wow, what a surprise) and you're a big part of it.

so this faction sends you on a quest to figure out how the wizard became so powerful, and you naturally want to save your sister.

I think it's a very poor story, for a first chapter, that is. maybe it gets better.

the game itself is beautiful, though. a very good engine. the only problem is character animation. the hero look like a cripple when running :ermm:

So its like a changed up Fable? :x:x:nuke:

So its like a changed up Fable? :x:x:ermm:

ugh, never beat Fable :nuke: that game was just too bad no matter how I looked at it.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That's a great name you Belgian nutter.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The Problem With Sex As A Video Game Goal

While I never really identified sex as the goal as a problem, I see the reasoning behind considering it one. And also thought that Red Dead Redemption's "romance" was done well.

And a commenter mentioned The Darkness. Another good one.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Not exactly news. I'm reading a 2004 reposting of a 1989 article Ron Gilbert wrote. http://grumpygamer.com/2152210

In it he denounces

The other source for the name Interactive Movie is what I call ?Hollywood Envy.? A great number of people in this business secretly (and not so secretly) wish they were making movies, not writing video games. Knock it off! If you really want to make movies, then go to film school and leave the game designing to people who want to make games.

Have things changed much in the past 21 years?

I ended up there while reading topics on trial and error gameplay. It's something he discusses later in the article.

Edited by Tale

Sex is always an easy target.

It also seems to miss a huge whopping point that games aren't currently capable of reflecting (and arguably shouldn't reflect) real life.

Real life isn't about running around and gunning everything that moves (or at least shows up as a red tic on the compass). Even adventure games abstract the experience of real life.

A lot of real life is boring. I don't think we want boring in games.

If games want to compete with other narrative media,
- movies are just as bad about including pointless sex scenes as any other media - television and video games closely behind.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The issue wasn't "pointless sex scenes" it was "sex as the goal." Movies are much better about that than games. I think the last movie I saw where the relationship culminated in sex was 40 Year Old Virgin. Lots of times they have sex much earlier and then spend the rest of the narrative getting to know each other or dealing with conflict, if sex itself appears at all.

Edited by Tale

A lot of real life is boring. I don't think we want boring in games.

that's what I think too, but people who play Sims keep proving otherwise.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The issue wasn't "pointless sex scenes" it was "sex as the goal." Movies are much better about that than games. I think the last movie I saw where the relationship culminated in sex was 40 Year Old Virgin. Lots of times they have sex much earlier and then spend the rest of the narrative getting to know each other or dealing with conflict, if sex itself appears at all.

I can't think of any game that has a sex scene and then rolls the credits either.

Both ME1 & ME2 have sex scenes that culminate the relationship around the 2/3rds mark; this isn't dissimilar to, oh, say Avatar which has a relationship culminate in a sex scene about 2/3rds of the way through.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I can't think of any game that has a sex scene and then rolls the credits either.
Because credits roll isn't the issue, the relationship itself stops developing entirely. The relationship plot of the game stops at sex. This is completely aside from whether all plot stops at sex.

Both ME1 & ME2 have sex scenes that culminate the relationship around the 2/3rds mark; this isn't dissimilar to, oh, say Avatar which has a relationship culminate in a sex scene about 2/3rds of the way through.
In both ME1 and ME2 there is no further relationship plot after the sex scene. Unless you count the after game cuddling. Or it's Jack, who is treated as a deviant.

I don't recall enough of Avatar to comment on its particulars by comparison.

Edited by Tale

Should just do away with them completely.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Edit: NM, don't want to get involved in this

You know you want to.

Anyway, it's kind of a narrow discussion. It's basically Persona (3/4) and Mass Effect/Dragon Age. Persona's only implied and Dragon Age wasn't entirely consistent (Morrigan is a partial aversion). So, it comes down to "The Problem with CONCEPT is SOMETHING PRESENT IN ONE FRANCHISE." Maybe KOTOR had it that way, too.

Edited by Tale