Deus Ex 3

Pidesco

Or perhaps the return of Deus Ex 2.

Actually, I'm willing to bet it will be like the first Deus Ex, except all the locations are "cleverly" disguised corridors.

End of last thread.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Or perhaps the return of Deus Ex 2.

Don't you go jinxing it, you damn cat!

Actually, I'm willing to bet it will be like the first Deus Ex, except all the locations are "cleverly" disguised corridors.

What Hongkong was if not "cleverly" disguised corridors? If I recall correctly, only Liberty Island was little more like a open area.

Edit: Oh and Battery Park.

Edited by Slinky

I don't recall the airport area being a corridor. Or Hell's Kitchen. Or other areas I can't remember, right now.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That area where you start on top of the roof of a huge building, with lots of robots patrolling the yard underneath is definitely not a corridor (but a sniper's heaven). Paris wasn't a corridor either.

Damn, that is a great game. Wish it worked on my Win 7 machine.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Nah, doubt it'll be as bad as DX2. Will probably come close to the original game, but with "cool ****" like cinematic takedowns, kill cams, slow motion when you use some special aug, etc.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It doesnt look all that much like cyberpunk... or perhaps cyberpunk just doesn't look and feel as novel as before...hmm

I think it looks a lot more like cyberpunk than DX:IW did - which, I'll say, didn't look like Cyberpunk at all. :p

Of course, here I could be snide and say that when somebody tries to push the boundaries a little, adopt elements of Cyberpunk but try to be creative, he'll get slammed for his product "not looking all that much like cyberpunk"... And if he copied it verbatim, it'd be a case of "not being innovative"... :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I haven't played DX:IW...

I realized what bothers me in the new DX, its the somewhat antiseptic appearance.. I was used to thinking of cyberpunk as really grimy, Blade Runner style.

Yeah, that'll explain it. DX:IW managed to botch even that.

I think DXHR is going more for a "postcyberpunk" approach... if we look at the old rpg.net description of cyberpunk "transhumanism is about how technology will solve all mankind's problems. Cyberpunk is about how it won't." even Deus Ex 1 was more aligned with the transhumanism ethos (hence the name).

Also, we were seeing a luxury penthouse and a lab in the gameplay vid. I'm pretty thankful that they didn't go all Fallout on us and make even those a filthy mess. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yes, that's it. Its more transhuman than cyberpunk. Doesn't mean its necessarily bad, except for the fact that all those "transhuman" visuals look similar (Mass Effect like, streamlined shiny shapes and surfaces).

I hope this game can be played sneaky style. I'd like to do a playthrough with minimum casualties.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

True. I really liked that Drakensang 1 had no full VO so they could get nice text in without caring about voice-actor cost.

So imagine how saddened I was when they announced for Drakensang 2 they now had full-VO and the "walls of text" had been downsized to the "essentials" because "no one likes to read all that stuff".

Yeah, right behind you. So irritating. We "hardcore" (how ever you want to put it) gamers are a profitable niche industry and some developers have realised that (especially indie developers, and also seemingly Eidos Montreal). I guess in future the free market will ensure we are catered to but right now gaming is a nascent teenage industry still trying to discover itself, and that means the unwashed masses get catered to first. :lol:

I'm not being elitist. I'm simply stating facts: there's a lot of people like me out there who enjoy this certain type of game and our tastes are under-represented in the industry right now.

Edited by Krezack

Basically I'm hoping to play a human being - not a superhero, though the gameplay videos are really throwing the spotlight on some of the ultra violent over the top stuff.

On the other hand, it looks set to be the first sci fi game in years with an interesting plot that is not epic fantasy in a sci fi dress.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Sneaky gameplay doesn't always have the visual pizazz that cinematic ultra-violence does... So it's not exactly surprising that gameplay vids are going to push one style more then the other to attract attention to the game.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That area where you start on top of the roof of a huge building, with lots of robots patrolling the yard underneath is definitely not a corridor (but a sniper's heaven). Paris wasn't a corridor either.

Damn, that is a great game. Wish it worked on my Win 7 machine.

I remember accidentally falling off that roof and obliterating myself :p

If you're arguing that text is bad to the modern consumer gamer, that's a load of tripe and my entire bloody point is that the market for things like text-dense games has never disappeared - developers just stopped making text-dense games because they had lots of shiney new graphical tools to play with to tell stories and develop novel mechanics and generally experiment with, instead of being constrained by their engines. But it doesn't mean people desire text-dense games any less than they did 10 years ago.

I'm arguing that simply describing a scene today is insufficient, now that so many game engines have the ability to explicitly show it. I would love it if PST didn't have to rely on describing the visual images in Grace's "brothel." I would consider it value added if the NPCs also had full VO since I loved their partial VO.

I would bet that a text heavy game today would be as successful as a text heavy game back then. That is, profitable, but it'll take a while to get there (which is exactly what Planescape Torment was). Except, if you're doing it with an engine from 3-4 years ago instead of the infinity engine, your cost of development goes up creating the art assets.

looking at all this stuff about deus ex 3 makes me think/hope that the developers realized all they really need to do to get the masses to buy a game is present shiny graphics and cool action trailers, but they can actually make a game with all the detail and depth they want and the masses will buy it anyway for its looks.

"man this game is complicated yo"

"sure is ma broheim"

"but daaaaamn was it cool when i shot that dude from behind this wall"

"ya bro, shootin lazers is boss!"

"lets go shoot some more fools then drink a mountain dew!"

"xtreeeeeeeem!"

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.