Yahtzee reviews

Pidesco

I'm sorry but hating on the Witcher for having "Kill X for Y" is ridiculous. That's what Witchers do; they kill things, that guy puts too much effort on hating something rather than being funny about it. The world doesn't need another angry nerd.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, I often find his critiques to be accurate, if just a tad exaggerated. But I find his reviews to be refreshing as the norm is often overly flabbergasted critics without a sense of proportion.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm sorry but hating on the Witcher for having "Kill X for Y" is ridiculous. That's what Witchers do; they kill things, that guy puts too much effort on hating something rather than being funny about it. The world doesn't need another angry nerd.

Sure, monster-bounty quests make sense in the gameworld as constructed. But that doesn't necessarily make them a fun way to spend an afternoon. It's lazy quest design. The fact that they had a narrative excuse for their lazy quest design makes it a little more tolerable, but it certainly doesn't make it unfair for a reviewer to point out that the design was lazy and the execution was un-fun.

Edited by Enoch

Think his criticism of it was just "it's like a mmorpugher" or something, nothing as high as lazy design. Didn't bother me that much playing it though, often you'd kill the stuff on the way to do other things so wasn't that grindy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think he hit the nerve with some of the design choices of The Witcher 2. Modern gamers (in general), can't handle the simple things like reading the manual, inventory management, difficulty curve, length, non-standard pacing... CD Projekt know this but still they chose to release The Witcher 2 as it is. Hopefully the sales of The Witcher 2 are at least 1,5 million units so that it'll send a clear signal to the developers that there are still enough niche for this kind of game. It won't be the game for everyone but hopefully it'll be a good game for target segment.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

the Witcher has always been a project for the hardcore RPG crowd, and some things in the game seem out of place, QTEs and whatnot. it looks like CDPR was aiming at a broader audience, but didn't really know how to achieve the needed effect. I'm still not sure if I even want to play it :ermm:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

With the option toggle, QTEs are about 5 minutes of a 30 hour total game. Seriously, it's ludicrous how much talk we give to it.

I think Yahtzee has run his course by now, really. he was never about reviewing things seriously, just a refreshingly up front biased comical skit thing. But the longer it goes on, the more it takes the guise of a 'real' review, and once subject to the requirements of a review, Yahtzee talks a lot of ****.

his reviews never were "real" (he states this in one of them), he just plays game and points out their weaknesses in a humorous fashion

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That's exactly what I mean - and thats why it needed to be a skit thing that ended after a short while. The longer it goes on, the more it gets treated seriously, and as serious reviews his are just as rubbish as the bland ol' IGN reviews, just in different ways.

With the option toggle, QTEs are about 5 minutes of a 30 hour total game. Seriously, it's ludicrous how much talk we give to it.

I think Yahtzee has run his course by now, really. he was never about reviewing things seriously, just a refreshingly up front biased comical skit thing. But the longer it goes on, the more it takes the guise of a 'real' review, and once subject to the requirements of a review, Yahtzee talks a lot of ****.

He gives his opinion, like any other reviewer.

Its why the latest Devlop 100 is considered an absolute joke, in the same respect as metacritic is considered to be a joke by alot of people.

You cannot base "goodness" on review scores.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Finally watched that review. Other than the trolling of the phantom PC elitists, seemed like too much whining and exaggeration - the bit about the signs' names was a bit of a head scratcher.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yahtzee doesn't like that kind of games and he's in no capacity an official "reviewer" for anyone. What you get is his opinion heavily spiked with humor.

If you don't agree, tough.

Edited by Purkake

"the Witcher has always been a project for the hardcore RPG crowd,"

The Witcher isn't hardcore. Nor is it a RPG. It's an ACTION RPG. Like ME, BL, or JE.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

nevertheless, part 2 was made with hardcore RPG scenesters in mind

Walsingham said:

ooh, this is going to be interesting

edit: he should've picked the archer lady

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since yahtzee actually reviewed something relevant for you old people, I hereby resurrect this thread from the dark oblivion of pages that no one bothers to click through:

Deus Ex(the first one, not the one with the guy who didn't ask for this and the people with the weird clothes)

the Witcher has always been a project for the hardcore RPG crowd, and some things in the game seem out of place, QTEs and whatnot. it looks like CDPR was aiming at a broader audience, but didn't really know how to achieve the needed effect. I'm still not sure if I even want to play it :(

Hardcore RPG? The game has 3 stats: damage, damage reduction and persuasion/intimidation.

it's not. it was made with you in mind though

Walsingham said: