FO: NV (General Discussion)

Pidesco

- "GetWellGamers" at SAF is Ryan Sharpe, the president of The Get-Well Gamers Foundation. He was former Obsidian QA tester on NWN2 and currently works as editor at Nippon Ichi Software America according to his LinkedIn profile.

- J.E. Sawyer's formspring Q&A

What would you say was the major lesson you took away after the development of FNV to apply (if possible) to future projects at Obsidian? Something you guys really got right, or wrong, for instance?

Use less complex scripting in quest scenarios and stage the development of quests in a more progressive fashion. I.e. start by implementing the A-priority, bare-bones, 100% solid scenario for everything first. Only after everything is in at A-priority does mad experimentation begin. The advantage to this is that if your mad experiments turn out to be completely idiotic experiments, you still have an A-priority path that, if arguably a little bland, still works as designed and isn't going to blow up in the player's face.

Starting with a scenario that is a complex Faberg

Major Nelson Show 381
Interview: Jason Bergman, Fallout New Vegas Dead Money (36:44 - 44:52)

- 4 to 6 hours gameplay

- It's a standalone DLC with it's own beginning, middle and end.

- (Have I got this right? It will have it's own slideshow at the end?)

- Recommended for high level characters, because it's very difficult

- Will unlock new dialoge with Veronica, after completing the DLC

From GB :

Major Nelson Podcast #381 features an interview with senior producer Jason Bergman in which he reveals a handful of details on the upcoming DLC for Fallout: New Vegas, Dead Money. NMA gives an overview of important points.

-Takes 4-6 hours to beat

-Each companion has their own perk, can only take 1 at a time

-Veronica has new dialogue options after you beat the DLC and can get 1 of 2 new perks depending on what you say.

-Ghost People apparently need to be decapitated or gibbed to be killed; Shooting them elsewhere stuns them.

-The Nightkin companion is schizophrenic and has two personalities, Dog and God. Both have their own perk.

-The human companion is named Christine, and is described as mute but intelligent.

-The ghoul companion is a lounge singer named Dean. You may have seen him on posters or load screens in the main game.

-New weapons include the Holo-Beam and the Beartrap Fist.

### Filthy advert ###

My first Fallout: New Vegas quest is open to public. Voice-over isn't done yet, but I still wanted to release it already, before I sit another one or two weeks over it.

It's my first quest for that engine and damn, I had to learn a lot... by now, I am a tad more skilled and my next quest is already work in progress (dialogues are left to write).

Doing quest-stuff for FNV feels nice. But god damn, debugging the **** is so painful, not even Fallout 2 modding is that painful... There you will at least get a log file out of a crash.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

.....you wanted to keep in line with the game's quest naming theme of horrible horrible puns, right Lexx? :shifty:

I'll probably check it out after I finish my energy weapons playthrough. Dammit if Mr. House isn't condescending to an extreme.

Also, since we were talking about mods, the guys that did FWE are working on this. I like the fact that it's modular, since I'm actually finding the balance of NV, while easy, enjoyable and we've yet to see how it'll play out when all the add-ons are out etc.

.....you wanted to keep in line with the game's quest naming theme of horrible horrible puns, right Lexx? :ermm:

Yes. Everything else would feel out of place to me, especially because it's just a very small quest. It would look bad in the questlog, if the title is much different.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I need to add my most important bit of feedback on NV. The ability you get with Rex to highlight all the valuable stuff when zoomed should be the default. It would make looting dungeons so much less tedious. Also something should really be done about maps and multi-level dungeons. I've wasted more time being lost in those mazes than I'd ever care to admit.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Please don't do voiceovers unless they will be really good quality recording & decent quality acting. Nothing is more annoying than fanmade VAs.

I'll try it for my next playthrough.

### Filthy advert ###

My first Fallout: New Vegas quest is open to public. Voice-over isn't done yet, but I still wanted to release it already, before I sit another one or two weeks over it.

It's my first quest for that engine and damn, I had to learn a lot... by now, I am a tad more skilled and my next quest is already work in progress (dialogues are left to write).

Doing quest-stuff for FNV feels nice. But god damn, debugging the **** is so painful, not even Fallout 2 modding is that painful... There you will at least get a log file out of a crash.

You should post this in the FNV Mods section at the Beth forums if you haven't already. Probably see more feedback that way. >_<

Agree w/Tig about the voice-overs too...unless you're talking about re-using/editing some of the recorded voices from the actual game files to fit your mod.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I need to add my most important bit of feedback on NV. The ability you get with Rex to highlight all the valuable stuff when zoomed should be the default. It would make looting dungeons so much less tedious.

I came to dislike his Perk because whenever I wanted to take a screenshot/vid while 'zoomed in', I had to make sure all the stuff was picked up/cleared or there would be all this glowing green stuff in the scene. >_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So I'm really hoping Dead Money comes out in fifteen minutes. Probably not but fingers crossed!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Still not out!

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

3:09 AM still not out!

Dead Money's out. Now stop whining and tell us if it's good, you console peasants. :shifty:

...honestly though, this exclusive DLC thing is grating, especially because, this time, despite the setting looking far removed from everything that comes to mind when I think "Fallout", the DLC seems interesting (compare that to Operation Anchorage..).

Dead Money's out. Now stop whining and tell us if it's good, you console peasants. :shifty:

Yeah, the people who use glorified typewriters for gaming want to know! ;)

Oh yeah, or overpriced dvd players! :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Finally beat the main game. Ignored almost all sidequests for fear of breaking the main quest I was on.

Sorta fun, but think I'll put it aside now.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You should post this in the FNV Mods section at the Beth forums if you haven't already. Probably see more feedback that way. :shifty:

Agree w/Tig about the voice-overs too...unless you're talking about re-using/editing some of the recorded voices from the actual game files to fit your mod.

I'm not much a fan of the Bethsoft board, because sadly, most of the time I read there, my brain dies a bit.

I also agree on the voice-overs, but hey, can't be that hard to find good voice actors, can't it? At least the german Gothic community managed it often to get pretty good voices done.. and that's mostly the germans stuff. So I'll guess it can't be that hard to find good english speaking people, as there should be a lot more. That's - by the way - also the reason why I've released my mini-quest already. Hopefully it will be easier than to find people for the voice over. Still got my doubts about it though.

Finally beat the main game. Ignored almost all sidequests for fear of breaking the main quest I was on.

Not a single one of all quests I have done broke for me.

Edited by Lexx

I also agree on the voice-overs, but hey, can't be that hard to find good voice actors, can't it?

I have tried a few fan made mods with VO and every single one of them except ONE had so bad voice acting I honestly couldn't play them. My recommendation, forget it.

Not a single one of all quests I have done broke for me.

That's great! For you, that is. For me I had to start over from my last game because as I was ready to start the endgame I went and found Victor dead, Lucky 38 hostile and I was unable to go for the end I wanted (siding with Mr. House). I restarted and ran a minimum number of missions to get through all the House quests just so I could see the end (I'd restarted 2 other times due to other issues with the games and frankly was ready to move on but wanted to at least see the end once).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You should post this in the FNV Mods section at the Beth forums if you haven't already. Probably see more feedback that way. :)

I'm not much a fan of the Bethsoft board, because sadly, most of the time I read there, my brain dies a bit.

You could still post the link to your mod there tho...you don't have to converse with/read the rest of the board. I've met a few very nice people there, which I PM with semi-frequently....but I do get your point, and 98% of the time it's true enough. :p

P.S. I've now progressed to altering rooms in the game via the editor. It's all coming back to me now, slowly. Scripting new stuff is still way beyond me, tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson