Feargus Urquhart audio interview

funcroc

His favorite game is Colonization so who cares.

Very nice interview. I think it's such a horrible situation really when they talk about managing features and all that. I mean, the reason I look towards Obsidian as a favorite game developer is because they do try different things and try to insert complex mechanics in their games. And I think that's something that's really missing in many RPGs today where they feel too much like standard "products". Nicely packaged and presented, sure, but nothing *really* interesting going on or explored in them.

That was also the reason why Troika is one of my fav developers.

So hey, I say bring on the bugs and lack of polish if it means more ambitious games. :thumbsup:

Sorta trolling here, obviously there is a "sweeter spot" for managing it all. But I'd really hate for the creativity to take a backseat for the sake of a very polished product.

But fun interview. Feargus is always so hyper and it's nice that he's such a "hands-on" dude despite being the CEO.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

When I read reviews of Alpha Protocol, I wondered if the decision makers of Obsidian kept their eyes on modern game-plays. I can understand their views since I myself know older CRPG but they didn't seem to have analyzed why Vampire: Masquerade: Bloodlines was not accepted by the main stream. Especially they were releasing the game on consoles after something like Oblivion, I thought they could have made some analysis on the current main-stream game-play. For, if they fail to keep the players spend hours and hours on their games, the players won't be able to notice what shines in Obsidian games, which is definitely a shame. To make the world feel deeper with more traditional methods, I think Obsidian has upper-hands on other game companies and I'd like others to recognize them. Now, although I haven't touched FONV yet, I'm quite happy with the user reviews on that game. In fact, I could congratulate the team if Gamespot had given a better score since their reviews seem to be still important to some people.

I'll play FONV probably after I buy a new comp...I'm away from gaming in general and am terribly bad at throwing things while they are still capable as daily tools. Now I'm just in carefully avoiding spoiler mode... :(

I don't agree with Feargus's comments in regards to how much more we can push modern consoles, there is still pleanty left, developers really need to think in parrallel when it comes to systems, and generally speaking if you can crack the core architecture early enough, then there is pleanty that can be done.

Just my opinion naturally.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

But I'd really hate for the creativity to take a backseat for the sake of a very polished product.

This is what happened from Gothic 3 to Risen. Risen is perhaps 1/5 the size and ambition compared to Gothic 3. On the other hand it's a very polished game. I vastly preferred Gothic 3 despite the litany of bugs.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!