pc games disc capacity

johnboy

ps3 have some blu-ray games discs at 100 gb a disc pc games must have more storage capacity than the standard 4.7gb.

what are pc games discs going to be since they dont use blu-ray discs for pc games what are they going to do they will have to do something because it is the way games evolve ever since spectrum and sega mastersystem new games are becoming bigger so what are pc games doing?

PC games are doing compression and multiple discs.

And no, Blu-Ray games on the PS3 do not do 100GB. A double layer disc goes up to 50GB and there's been almost no games that used that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

They will do it when they need to, but there's no indication they need to anytime soon. They're still using 25GB discs, which is about 3 DVD9 dual layers.

Media size is not a limit for the PC. We don't even need bigger discs. They use more discs. Or better compression. Or digital distribution.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Uhkay. Standard blu-ray is 25 single layer, 50 for dual. Not aware of any quad layer game discs, in fact not aware of any in the wild whatsoever. Best wishes back to the totally random deparment!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

eventually pc games are going to need bigger discs and i want it to happen soon so that the games are bigger.

By the time it happens, it's much more likely that bigger textures, models, etc., etc., mean that games won't actually be any bigger or longer. It'll just take more gigabytes to deliver the same length/size with... better graphics.

what are these "discs" you all talking about? :o If I need a game, I log on to Steam and download the whole 30 GB package.

actually, I had a good laugh when I bough Left 4 Dead on a CD when it came out. came home, put the CD into my PC, browse the content and... turned out it was a Steam installation + a sticker with a serial number to activate the game :o never buy CDs anymore

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Most PC games come on dual-layer DVD9's nowadays, which hold 8.5gb of data.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I kind of wish some developers issued blu-ray versions of games that are on multiple DVDs because obviously there are some who do have blu-ray readers, even writers, in their rigs, myself included. Unfortunately, DVDs seem to be the standard (although it wasn't until a couple of years ago that the biggest PC developers finally shifted to DVD only releases).

Could always go double sided dual layer. :sorcerer:

Games took dozens of floppies before CD-ROM came along. Games took a dozen CD-ROMs before DVD came along.

Actually would be neat if gaming came full circle and went back to cartridges once flash prices crash. Ship games on fast SSDs, plug them in using eSATA. Play straight off the media! Hell, make it bootable and then we've arrived at PC + console convergence.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G