Dungeon Siege III Q1 2011?

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/21/squar...ca-in-pictures/

This web page is claiming a Q1 release for DS3. I was wondering how truthful this information is? All the other games seem to be legit Q1. What stage of development is DS3 in right now? I just don't see this as being a reasonable date for release.

Some questions I also have.

1. What are the classes?

2. When will skill trees be released?

3. What is the max level?

4. How will the trading of loot between players be handled?

5. Is there a personal stash or bank for items? Most importantly, is this bank shared between your characters?

There was no word of it on Squenix's financial report and the official word is still 2011. I guess a lot will ultimately depend on when Diablo III is going to come out.

Definitely not Q1 2011. Blizzard is releasing the WoW: Cataclysm expac in February and there's the added competition of Bio's ToR, which - regardless if it will be a WoW killer or not - has a lot of momentum. Releasing Diablo III at said point would not be a good marketing move for Blizzard. Diablo 3 should be out, if Blizzard decides to release it within 2011, at least 6 months after Cataclysm's release. Even so, the closest thing to competition DS3 has, is Dragon Age 2, which is the only other big name multiplatform RPG. The Witcher 2 is still PC only, right?

There was no word of it on Squenix's financial report and the official word is still 2011. I guess a lot will ultimately depend on when Diablo III is going to come out.

Definitely not Q1 2011. Blizzard is releasing the WoW: Cataclysm expac in February and there's the added competition of Bio's ToR, which - regardless if it will be a WoW killer or not - has a lot of momentum. Releasing Diablo III at said point would not be a good marketing move for Blizzard. Diablo 3 should be out, if Blizzard decides to release it within 2011, at least 6 months after Cataclysm's release. Even so, the closest thing to competition DS3 has, is Dragon Age 2, which is the only other big name multiplatform RPG. The Witcher 2 is still PC only, right?

Isn't Cataclysm coming out in December?

Hate the living, love the dead.

Cataclysm is released this year, yeah. Also, not sure what that and TOR have to do with Diablo III.

Well, Blizzard has a dedicated fanbase and they will of course want to leech that fanbase dry. Now, those people will most certainly get Cataclysm. A Q1 release for Diablo 3 would still be too close to the WoW expac's release, which goes against Blizzard's current marketing policy of spreading their releases across a certain period of time to maximize long term sales. It's why they're pushing Heart of the Zerg, or whatever the next StarCraft II installment is called, to mid 2012, and it's a long time for Blizzard NOT to release anything for a year and a half. Of course they would release Diablo III somewhere in between, closer to HotZ but still a ways away.

However, you're right that ToR has little to do with it. I was pretty sure Cataclysm was due out in February as well and that would divide the potential Cataclysm audience and a close Diablo III release would further divide sales on both of their franchises. Blizzard would not make such a mistake. They would release it closer to another seemingly dead period, like they did with Wings of Liberty's June '10 release.

Am I seeing too much into this marketing stuff? And why am I analyzing fraking Blizzard for Pete's sake! I shouldn't have to be doing this here!!!

Cataclysm is released this year, yeah. Also, not sure what that and TOR have to do with Diablo III.

Well, Blizzard has a dedicated fanbase and they will of course want to leech that fanbase dry. Now, those people will most certainly get Cataclysm. A Q1 release for Diablo 3 would still be too close to the WoW expac's release, which goes against Blizzard's current marketing policy of spreading their releases across a certain period of time to maximize long term sales. It's why they're pushing Heart of the Zerg, or whatever the next StarCraft II installment is called, to mid 2012, and it's a long time for Blizzard NOT to release anything for a year and a half. Of course they would release Diablo III somewhere in between, closer to HotZ but still a ways away.

However, you're right that ToR has little to do with it. I was pretty sure Cataclysm was due out in February as well and that would divide the potential Cataclysm audience and a close Diablo III release would further divide sales on both of their franchises. Blizzard would not make such a mistake. They would release it closer to another seemingly dead period, like they did with Wings of Liberty's June '10 release.

Am I seeing too much into this marketing stuff? And why am I analyzing fraking Blizzard for Pete's sake! I shouldn't have to be doing this here!!!

I'd say it's relevant in this instance. Obsidian's not going to want to release DS3 at the same time as Diablo 3 comes out - all the game stores will be fawning over the 300 pound gorilla product. So if you can work out when it's due for release then say pick a point 3 months before or after that then it might be a credible date, assuming it's not rushing Obsidian too much. For myself I'm hoping for no delays and a 1st quarter release (for DS3). If Blizzard release Diablo 3 in June, and I've read they always go overtime on their estimates, then if Obsidian fail with an 'early' release it'll not be 'til spring or even Christmas 2011 before DS3 is scheduled for release. I'd really rather not wait that long! :)

• 3 weeks later...
ign has it listed as being released on march 22nd 2011. ign

Why hasn't Obsidian posted this or any other game related information on the official website or on the forums?

4 months from the projected "release date" and yet we really know nothing about this game other than what we saw at the Comic Con.

I want to be excited about this game but it's turning into Final Fantasy 13 Versus the way they don't release anything.

When I posted some questions that Alvin Nelson responded to, he said the game was in pre-alpha, so a March release seems unlikely. I'm thinking August-November would be most likely.

Not really, he meant the version they showed was pre-alpha. Yet, this was the same demo that journalists saw in August. Furthermore a build shown to the public is usually a tested older one.

So, we can assume they are quite a bit further with the game.

Edited by C2B

When I posted some questions that Alvin Nelson responded to, he said the game was in pre-alpha, so a March release seems unlikely. I'm thinking August-November would be most likely.

Not really, he meant the version they showed was pre-alpha. Yet, this was the same demo that journalists saw in August. Furthermore a build shown to the public is usually a tested older one.

Ofcourse they are. It isn't a big deal for me, because I have already decided to buy the game. But I really do not think they will be releasing the game in March. I don't mind if they prove me wrong.

Ofcourse they are. It isn't a big deal for me, because I have already decided to buy the game. But I really do not think they will be releasing the game in March. I don't mind if they prove me wrong.

If they can't release the game by Autumn then they'll have to hold off for many more months. Isn't Diablo 3, the 300lb possible rival, scheduled for release during winter? It's not definite that it'll be June, and it's not Blizzard saying it is, but if they do ... maybe D3 released for Christmas 2011?

I don't know really. It is all speculation at this point. But considering we haven't seen very much from the game I daresay the game is a Q3-Q4 2011 title. Again, this is wild speculation from me.

I know just as much about this game as I do about Dragon Age 2, which is a Q1 release.

Edited by DarkLord RuKen

I don't know really. It is all speculation at this point. But considering we haven't seen very much from the game I daresay the game is a Q3-Q4 2011 title. Again, this is wild speculation from me.

I know just as much about this game as I do about Dragon Age 2, which is a Q1 release.

I know more about Diablo 3 than I do about Dragon Age 2, and it doesn't even have a firm release date. Knowledge doesn't really have much to do with it.

It doesn't matter, there will always be competition around. DX3 comes out around the same week as Crysis 2, and DS3 probably within DA2's range.

Yeh, but at least it's competition from outside, not having two of their own titles battling each other :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...