what's missing

hungry

Hi Obsids peeps.

Let me get straight to the question, how come you haven't been able to replicate Planescape Torment? (I realize that was Black Isle but I think Obsidian is the spiritual successor to Black Isle and shares some of the same staff)

I assume this question has been asked more than a few times before, but I was just thinking about the game the other day and thinking I haven't really played a game that comes close. I was thinking about tormented heroes I think. What I liked most about the game is how deeply it made you feel real emotions. I felt deep sadness at points during the game for the characters and also great affection for companions and characters. This is really what I want from games, from movies, from music, from art. Experience emotions more deeply and I guess learn to think in new ways and experience the world in new ways...

I feel like everything in the game worked together in concert to make the experience deeper and more immersive. The art, music, dialogue, story all were amazing and made the game.

So back to my question, how come you guys haven't come close since then? I've felt most of your games were trying to go in a similar direction but none have seemed to had that gestalt thing where everything is working together to make the game something more than just a game. And it seems to me maybe your games are getting progressively further from this goal rather than closer. Is this a matter of what sells? What the public wants? Is it a case of working on well established licenses draining a little enthusiasm and imagination? Maybe focusing more on "game" type things taking the attention away from getting excited about creating a story/setting? (what i mean here is i guess similar to the concept of meta-gaming - which i think is being very (over?) aware that you're playing a game and not letting your imagination run wild)

Anyhow I used to buy Obsidian games without reading reviews - I felt like the Obsidian people wanted what I wanted in games. We had a deal! I thought. But I think I now want some time apart Obsidian. I feel like our aims are diverging.

But seriously, I hope you guys return to striving to make something truly great.

A publisher?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Different aspects of PS:T's brilliance HAVE been replicated in Obsidian's games, but I guess not all in the same game.

I've heard the closest to a spiritual successor to PS:T is MotB, did you try that?

EDIT: But I agree with you. My new computer just arrived so I'm now going to go play all the Obsid games that wouldn't run on my Mac Mini. I have a feeling I'm not going to be enjoying Obsid's games but find little replay value in them. Hopefully I am wrong.

But, you know, things change. It would not be surprising if Obsidian never managed to rekindle its old glory. But if that's the case, some other developers will pick up the slack (and indeed they already do - Obsidian isn't the only RPG developer, and Black Isle wasn't the only good RPG developer either)

That said, Fallout:NV and DS3 sound extremely promising.

Edited by Krezack

Hi Obsids peeps.

Let me get straight to the question, how come you haven't been able to replicate Planescape Torment? (I realize that was Black Isle but I think Obsidian is the spiritual successor to Black Isle and shares some of the same staff)

People found out about books?

/troll

Also Mask of the Betrayer.

Torment would probably sell 28 copies max if released today, even with updated graphics.

As Krezzie says, the best you can hope for now is aspects of PS:T showing up in contemporary games.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

To be honest I actually enjoy Obsidian games just as much as BS games

For a Planescape there is a MOTB and KOTOR2 (Well, naturally what was finished of it)

For a Fallout 2 (I don't really count the first a BS game as much as a Troika one) there is a Fallout New Vegas now

Actually there is not a equivlant to the Icewind Dale Series yet. Tactical rpg combat hasn't been the strong suit of Obsidian yet.

Even for DA2 (where still several now Obsidian members worked on) and Champions: ROE (where Avellone helped on though a Snowblind game) there is DS3 coming and it seems to have a chance to surpass both.

And I'd arguee that all of these games are at least comparable to the Black Isle ones.

Edited by C2B

I've been putting off Planescape Torment till I get diagnosed with cancer and am in need of a pick me up, however I too look back fondly on a "golden age" of gaming when I would play Fallout 2 and Freespace in a state of quasi-religious awe.

It's a lie though.

As the masters of the Old School learned that their Wu-Tang style was no match for peasants armed with gunpowder, so too did the craftsmen of the past find that in order to compete in the global gaming industry their products had to be accessable. This is not a bad thing. Greater interest and investment in gaming will take it in new directions and encourage new approaches to game design.

I think we can all agree that it is far better to shoot a bear with a rifle than to punch it in the face.

Anyhow I used to buy Obsidian games without reading reviews - I felt like the Obsidian people wanted what I wanted in games. We had a deal! I thought. But I think I now want some time apart Obsidian. I feel like our aims are diverging.

But seriously, I hope you guys return to striving to make something truly great.

Ae you breaking up with me?

Torment would probably sell 28 copies max if released today, even with updated graphics.

As Krezzie says, the best you can hope for now is aspects of PS:T showing up in contemporary games.

I dunno about that. I actually think the industry is craving a title like it, but it's a very risky proposition, so most publishers won't go for it. I think it's very likely for the PS:T lightning to strike again before long.

I've been putting off Planescape Torment till I get diagnosed with cancer and am in need of a pick me up, however I too look back fondly on a "golden age" of gaming when I would play Fallout 2 and Freespace in a state of quasi-religious awe.

It's a lie though.

As the masters of the Old School learned that their Wu-Tang style was no match for peasants armed with gunpowder, so too did the craftsmen of the past find that in order to compete in the global gaming industry their products had to be accessable. This is not a bad thing. Greater interest and investment in gaming will take it in new directions and encourage new approaches to game design.

I think we can all agree that it is far better to shoot a bear with a rifle than to punch it in the face.

Hmm? This is a bad attempt at misdirection, the creator of this topic wants games of PS:T's quality to be created again regardless of circumstances.

Also, making a games content more accessible has nothing to do with how good it is(Assuming accessibility means ability to play)

A wider audience does not mean higher quality(assuming that games have recieved more interest and investment since PS:T) If it did, this topic would not exist.

I think the reason why games like this are not made anymore is because those who would enjoy them are not the target audience of big developers and publishers.

That and nobody is taking advantage of how versatile PC gaming can be(I think World of Warcraft has shown that it doesnt matter if your game doesnt take advantage of all the latest technology as long as your content appeals to your target audience)

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

It's a lie though.

Hmm? This is a bad attempt at misdirection, the creator of this topic wants games of PS:T's quality to be created again regardless of circumstances.

Also, making a games content more accessible has nothing to do with how good it is(Assuming accessibility means ability to play)

A wider audience does not mean higher quality(assuming that games have recieved more interest and investment since PS:T) If it did, this topic would not exist.

I think the reason why games like this are not made anymore is because those who would enjoy them are not the target audience of big developers and publishers.That and nobody is taking advantage of how versatile PC gaming can be(I think World of Warcraft has shown that it doesnt matter if your game doesnt take advantage of all the latest technology as long as your content appeals to your target audience)

I do believe that is the answer right there. The audience today is more the casual gamer and not the hard core gamer. I believe PS:T was a hard core gamer type of game.

I do believe that is the answer right there. The audience today is more the casual gamer and not the hard core gamer. I believe PS:T was a hard core gamer type of game.

Really? For me, a game has to be actually 'hard' to be harcore. And PS:T was not hard, it was actually quite easy, if long.

Really? For me, a game has to be actually 'hard' to be harcore. And PS:T was not hard, it was actually quite easy, if long.

Why would it need to be hard? Tetris and Pacman are hard, does that make them hardcore games? I'd say the term hardcore more refers to appealing to a niche audience, or requiring something outlandish like a pint of blood to play.

I'm fairly sure it already has... and then some. :o

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it has more to do with the kind of play, and kind of player than the graphics ~which IMO are still great.

(but then I prefer FO1's dialog heads to any I saw in FO3 :p)

Edited by Gizmo