FO: NV (General Discussion)

Cons

- Voice acting is still pretty boring.

- Dialogue/story telling isn't that great.

... here we go again.

I don't think there's been a SINGLE game in this forum without somebody claiming these two. What the hell are you looking for? You want Al Pacino reading Kafka out loud?!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

No..I'd just prefer something that didn't immediatly scream "STILTED CHARACTER/DIALOGUE". A good voice actor pushes the story on their own. I find myself clicking through most of the New Vegas dialogue. It's just poorly done. Maybe this is an unfair comparison since Obsidian had more to handle since NV is such a big game, but look at Bloodlines, that's how it's done.

Though its not fair that a lot of the special versions are hidden away in pointless places where you wouldnt expect to find anything more than the odd stimpak or scrap parts.

Well, if they were in plain sight, some other adventurer would already have found them and walked away with them :sorcerer:

Im just saying an extra cool gun should be found in a special golden crate in the very heart of a hazardous maze, not in a shoebox in a cleaning closet. Because non-obsessivecompulsive players tend to just overlook those everyday boxes of crap and go shoot radscorpions in the tail :sweat:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Some people just dont know that there is such a thing as too much bloom.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm thinking about starting a mod. Which, as usual, means I'll write some stuff down, mess around in the toolset, and abandon it in a couple of weeks.

But the question is, what project should I abandon a week from now? An area 51 inspired Vault thing or a Seven Samurai knockoff?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

that's a no-brainer: 7 samurai. and I'm also thinking about starting a mod, so any tips on where to begin really appreciated

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

What weapon and armor, if any, can Lily wear?

I tried the unique Super Sledge and Chainsaw but neither of those worked.

She's running around with a minigun in my game. Since melee companions tend to get exploded.

No..I'd just prefer something that didn't immediatly scream "STILTED CHARACTER/DIALOGUE". A good voice actor pushes the story on their own. I find myself clicking through most of the New Vegas dialogue. It's just poorly done. Maybe this is an unfair comparison since Obsidian had more to handle since NV is such a big game, but look at Bloodlines, that's how it's done.

Eh. Overall, I've been unimpressed with the VO and dialogue writing, but I wouldn't say it's bad. It's really really hard to have a dialogue not sound stilted when one character is voiced and the PC isn't, and when the conversation always cycles back to "so, what else do you want to talk about."

Some of it is worse than others, though. I just had my first long chat with Veronica (I had somehow missed her the first time I passed through the location where she hangs out), and I couldn't wait to kick her out and go get Boone again. Although that just may be my general dislike of her particular nerd-culture character archetype (i.e., the aggressively peppy sarcastic chick).

I liked most of the dialogue. can't say it's worse than DA:O for example

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

OK, I can't figure out how to play Caravan.

It tells me first card determines suit, second card determines direction. So if I put down 3 of Clubs for first card, shouldn't I be able to put down 5 of Clubs for second card, for instance? But I haven't been able to EVER place two numerical cards in one pile. It'd be nice if "illegal move" tooltip/popups were ingame :wub:

It's finicky and I found an online tutorial about it.

The weird thing is that you're probably trying to put the card BESIDE the original, rather than next in sequence. The game is not clear about this at all. Try moving the card down when you're trying to place it in sequence.

It's kind of a fun game actually :)

Cons

- Voice acting is still pretty boring.

- Dialogue/story telling isn't that great.

... here we go again.

I don't think there's been a SINGLE game in this forum without somebody claiming these two. What the hell are you looking for? You want Al Pacino reading Kafka out loud?!

While it's true that claims like 'the dialogue and story aren't that great' are utterly specious without some benchmark or basis of comparison, I'm inclined to agree that the voice acting does leave a lot to be desired, and their cast is really uneven. For one, the talent is watered down by marketing decisions: I doubt that the flat performances of Felicia Day or Michael Dorn would have made it past a casting director if their names weren't fan service to dorks. And Matthew Perry is... well, I'm not sure what Perry is doing here, but there's no question that Benny is reading all of his lines from a cue card somewhere just behind the player's right shoulder.

And okay Obsidian, I too love The Wire; we all agree that we all love The Wire. But John Doman's Caeser makes no goddamned sense. Where's the charisma? Where's the galldanged gravitas? He sounds like he's a sergeant in his own army. And he sounds like he's from Philadelphia (which he is).

Reliable character actors like Kristoferson and Sadler provide great performances that attain that exact half-notch of hamminess that's perfect for voice acting, and Rene Auberjonois gives Mr. House this spot-on 40's no-nonsense inflection that could never in a million years be better. Wayne Newton is Wayne Newton, which is exactly who he needs to be, always. These and many performances by lesser-knowns are terrific. But it remains that many of the performances are kind of bad - though I'll grant that this judgment may have less to do with the actors' individual quality than the increasingly high bar and expectations for voice acting in games (and the nigh-OCD-level of finnickyness from ye beloved/maligned fanbase).

A dull boy.

man, a lot of famous actors can't read their lines in a movie, it's because they're used to doing a half-ass job.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

Eh. Overall, I've been unimpressed with the VO and dialogue writing, but I wouldn't say it's bad. It's really really hard to have a dialogue not sound stilted when one character is voiced and the PC isn't, and when the conversation always cycles back to "so, what else do you want to talk about."

Some of it is worse than others, though. I just had my first long chat with Veronica (I had somehow missed her the first time I passed through the location where she hangs out), and I couldn't wait to kick her out and go get Boone again. Although that just may be my general dislike of her particular nerd-culture character archetype (i.e., the aggressively peppy sarcastic chick).

Well, the PC wasn't voiced in Bloodlines and many people that have played it consider the VA to be top-notch. But you have a point on the cycling thing. I think part of it is getting the right person for the role.

I mean, yeah, NV is better than F3 in the story/VA department but that isn't saying much.

Edited by Mirage

Funny fact: FNV wasn't even released a week and all this "better xy" mods started to pop up on nexus. I just can't stand it... if they would at least don't use "better" in their names... most of the mods just look ugly.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Some people just aren't satisfied until they put their watercooling to good use. Even if it looks terrible. Have you seen those old Half-Life 2 packs? Like Fakefactory's. They did stuff like turn Alyx into a stripper and Eli into a 30 year old rapper. But people used them because they had more polygons.

Funny fact: FNV wasn't even released a week and all this "better xy" mods started to pop up on nexus. I just can't stand it... if they would at least don't use "better" in their names... most of the mods just look ugly.

Don't forget "Realistic". It's a pity because, ironically, the better modders are usually pretty humble.

matthew perry's voice acting was awful, and john dorman for caesar was a bad choice. kris kristofferson and william sadler more than made up for it though, along with the people who did cass, veronica, yes man, mr. house, and a few others.

i was not crazy about the voice of vulpes inculta.

i still havent found raul the ghoul, but I figure i'll track him down on my 3rd playthrough...

huge game is huge

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think Raul's one of the worst

Walsingham said:

I actually liked Vulpes Inculta's voice acting. Androgynous and ominous without sounding overdone. Raul was a bit meh, mostly because, for some reason, Danny Trejo limited his range a lot. It works though, and it's actually more convincing as a ghoul's voice than the default ones.

Matthew Perry was a mixed bag, he nailed the intro, ****ed up completely the lines he speaks when he meets the Courier again but also pulls off some of Benny's dialogue with him with surprising subtlety. Overall he wasn't completely awful but I honestly excepted more out of him. I've got no problems with Veronica and Caesar (it was a weird choice but a good one imho, gave him a lot of character without making him sound clich

Heh, I personally don't like Veronica, because she is somewhat... I don't know... quirly? But Matthew Perry was great. Maybe it's because english is not my main language, so I get the tone a lot different.

Another example: Cooper, the NCR soldier sounded - to me personally - much better with the voice from the early videos than how he is now in the game.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Matthew Perry was a mixed bag, he nailed the intro, ****ed up completely the lines he speaks when he meets the Courier again but also pulls off some of Benny's dialogue with him with surprising subtlety. Overall he wasn't completely awful but I honestly excepted more out of him.

yeah i guess this is pretty much how i feel as well, I had high hopes and was let down for sure.

I did not notice too many repeating voices ala oblivion though, a few here and there but not like the horrors of oblivion's world populated by 4 people and boromir.

overall i feel like the voice acting and amount of actors is 5x better than fallout 3, which was 10x better than oblivion.

I would really like to see obsidian take a crack at an elder scrolls game after seeing them knock new vegas out of the park. It would be really cool to see them alternating fallout and elder scrolls spinoff games while making enough money to also produce an original obsidian-owned IP every couple of years as well.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

What weapon and armor, if any, can Lily wear?

I tried the unique Super Sledge and Chainsaw but neither of those worked.

My impression has been that companions can/will wear anything that they consider to be 'better' than their default weapons. If something isn't, they won't equip it. I'm not sure if for weapons it's damage or DPS based but I have the feeling it's more the DPS, since Boone preferred higher dps rifle to a high dmg. one. Other than I don't think there are any specific limits.

On the companions & voices:

ED-E has music for a voice, which he uses constantly for warnings...it's cute for a while but...he's NOT silent. :lol:

Another thing I'm finding disconcerting about him is that far-sight perk. I'm undecided whether I like being able to see red lines sooooo long before I can see them.

I haven't found any VO that I truly dislike yet. Some better than others of course. But considering how difficult it must be to read short lines like "No" "Yeah" and "All right" that won't sound annoying when repeated in-game 100's of times, it's fine. The longer dialogues have all seemed to be ok too. Sometimes for me it's more a disconnect between ch. appearance and the voice. If I just listen to the voice, the VO is actually fine, but if I listen and look at the face, it's not what I'm expecting so it seems strange, if that makes sense. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts