FO: NV (General Discussion)

Hey guys. Where can I find the menu screens as wallpapers?

On the PC, look in your installation folder under Game\Data\textures\interface\loading

They are all in .dds format so you will probably want to convert them.

Hey, thank you very much for responding, but [ ... ] Other than that, sounds like exactly what I'd want :shifty:

Hey Taviow, I got around to downloading a bsa converter and the dds converter and have all the loading screen files in jpg format now. One caveat is they all seem to be 1024x512 in size - but when viewed on my 1920x1080 desktop they still looked pretty ok. Depends on your video card I guess. Anyway, if you want them I can put them in a zipfile. Since I don't know which ones you want, and there's a lot of them, the file would be around 15MB or so if that matters to you.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The wip looks nice, but the other face is just urg..

Yeah, the other face is not good. I like the armor though, wish he'd just have used that and redo textures for the normal model (which I actually happen to like, even if it's just a slightly remodeled Fallout 3 super mutant).

I meant ambient music/sounds by music, btw. Even in Fo3 the radio got old pretty fast. I agree with mkreku that it's much better to hear the songs on the radios placed in the world. Anyway, time for more!

I'm greatly disappointed by Wayne Newton in the game. He doesn't even reach Three Dog's heels.

But in general, the radio in NV is sorely lacking. Enclave Radio never got old for me in FO3, and it even made sense that Eden's propaganda & "America the Beautiful" were on an endless loop. Same goes for Agatha's station.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I'm greatly disappointed by Wayne Newton in the game. He doesn't even reach Three Dog's heels.

But in general, the radio in NV is sorely lacking. Enclave Radio never got old for me in FO3, and it even made sense that Eden's propaganda & "America the Beautiful" were on an endless loop. Same goes for Agatha's station.

I can't really understand how someone could prefer Three Dawg. For me personally he was the worst thing about Fallout 3 (Yes the worst). Worst dialouge in the entire game, the voice actor triea to improsonate some 90/modern radio announcer who really sounds goofy and the most annoying thing was that he nearly only talked about YOU.

As soon as I meet him I shoot him. He has NOTHING to do with Fallout in every way and was in general horrible.

New Vegas on the other hand talks about several topics in the wasteland (including you but very limited), is (mostly) good written, has a deep charming voice and just speaks naturally. I only tuned into the radio for his dialouge.

Edited by C2B

Too bad they don't have the song "Maybe" in it. Doesn't seem right that song is not in, the previous Fallouts had it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I think the great advantage that Mr. New Vegas has over Three-Dog is that Mr. NV sounds like

what he is in the game-- a computer programmed to pass on some useful information, but mostly to generally soothe the listeners and make them think positively about New Vegas. Putting Three Dog's lines into the mouth of a real human being whose off-the-air personalitly is exactly the same as his on-the-air personality just doesn't make for an interesting or believable character (not least for all the repetition).

Edited by Enoch

How do you know about Mr. New Vegas?

I've read about it a few places, but he doesn't appear in the game. Where is this info?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

How do you know about Mr. New Vegas?

I've read about it a few places, but he doesn't appear in the game. Where is this info?

Huh. I remembered it mentioned in something I read pre-release and assumed that it was revealed at some in the game that I haven't reached yet. It would strike me as a little odd if it wasn't. I double-checked on the wiki, which confirms, but has a [citation needed].

Edited by Enoch

Too bad they don't have the song "Maybe" in it. Doesn't seem right that song is not in, the previous Fallouts had it.

Fallout 1 and 3 had it. That's it.

As for New Vegas, I don't really enjoy the radio all that much, but I liked the fact that the radio generally avoids mentioning you. Yeah, they mention a lot of events you're involved in, but it's never 'HEY GUYS! IT'S ME AGAIN TO BRING YOU THE NEWS ABOUT THE COURIER! HUZZAAAAH!' and more like 'an anonymous adventurer saved the people in ...'. Also, the interview to No-bark Noonan about the ghouls at REPCONN was precious. :sorcerer:

OK, I can't figure out how to play Caravan.

It tells me first card determines suit, second card determines direction. So if I put down 3 of Clubs for first card, shouldn't I be able to put down 5 of Clubs for second card, for instance? But I haven't been able to EVER place two numerical cards in one pile. It'd be nice if "illegal move" tooltip/popups were ingame :sorcerer:

My second playthrough (gave up on my first char upon coming to the Strip) feels much better. The more I play this game the more I'm hooked on it - stuff like exploring Vault 22 really makes it worthwhile.

Oddly my initial impression of the game has improved, which happens, like, never. The grade I give it now is 90%. Go, go Obsidian.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I finally got the game and it's been pretty fun. It feels like a better realized game than F3 so far.

Pros

- Environments have more identity and aren't all cut from the same cloth as F3.

- Exploring is better because of said environments.

- Sound design is improved.

- Less amounts of clutter, fewer items, fewer ammo(but more guns).

- Quests are more involved, and there's more of them.

- A better sense of importance(for lack of a better word), and at the same time the game doesn't take itself too seriously.

- Larger scope of choices through a bigger variety of factions.

- Pretty useful companions.

Cons

- Voice acting is still pretty boring.

- Dialogue/story telling isn't that great.

- Poor framerate.

- Inner corridors tend to resemble mazes and there's little payoff.

- Guns feel a bit underpowered.

- Pipboy light is too saturated and ugly.

- Still not a fan of Karma.

- Radio gets to be almost annoying.

- Slightly buggy, but that doesn't bother me.

Really? I'm one-shotting Deathclaws! And I haven't even found/bought the worst weapon yet!

I think the weapons is one of New Vegas greatest strengths. Powerful, imaginative, well-balanced, good looking, varied, weighty, fun.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I agree that the selection and balance of guns in FNV is brilliant. Though its not fair that a lot of the special versions are hidden away in pointless places where you wouldnt expect to find anything more than the odd stimpak or scrap parts.

OK, I can't figure out how to play Caravan.

It tells me first card determines suit, second card determines direction. So if I put down 3 of Clubs for first card, shouldn't I be able to put down 5 of Clubs for second card, for instance? But I haven't been able to EVER place two numerical cards in one pile. It'd be nice if "illegal move" tooltip/popups were ingame :sorcerer:

Caravan was completely broken for me until they patched the game. And its confusing that you have to use the arrow keys to select cards and stuff. But I dont understand the suits and values either, I just play by the numerical values. And the onoly special card I use are the kings who double the value of the card beneath them.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Though its not fair that a lot of the special versions are hidden away in pointless places where you wouldnt expect to find anything more than the odd stimpak or scrap parts.

Well, if they were in plain sight, some other adventurer would already have found them and walked away with them :sorcerer:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Really? I'm one-shotting Deathclaws! And I haven't even found/bought the worst weapon yet!

I think the weapons is one of New Vegas greatest strengths. Powerful, imaginative, well-balanced, good looking, varied, weighty, fun.

Well, in comparison to F3...I was murdering everything in sight from the beginning. My guns are a 90 right now and Deathclaws are f'n me in the A. I think my criticals/luck is average though and its what's keeping me down.