FO: NV (Spoilers)

"canon" was probably the wrong term, but I see Lexx's point. Personally, I think that Dog Town is a pretty bad idea for a DLC-focused location, and I always found it one of the weakest ideas of Van Buren in general, so I wouldn't be enthusiastic about a DLC set in it.

Funnily enough, that's the only one I'm interested in. I think it's an excellent idea, especially if it's anything how I imagine it (very void of people, with a dark, almost blueish gloom over the devastated city, with dogs howling in the distance). I think they could make a really great expansion from that idea, especially if they're using lateral thinking when designing it (flooded subways, mountains, skyscrapers, etc).

Did I mention that I loved the underwater sections of Fallout: New Vegas? Very few games allow me to explore under the sea.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"canon" was probably the wrong term, but I see Lexx's point. Personally, I think that Dog Town is a pretty bad idea for a DLC-focused location, and I always found it one of the weakest ideas of Van Buren in general, so I wouldn't be enthusiastic about a DLC set in it.

I'm wagering at this point that it's just a hat tip to VB freaks like myself. It's a huge location (it had its own overland map, if you'll recall), it's a fair ways away, much farther than NCR-> Vegas, though apparently the Legion has had successful raids as far east as New Jersey. But I think the only thing that really makes it a "weak" idea is that the vast majority of enemies are dogs. It was a really cool idea on paper, in that it was basically a zombie apocalypse movie with canines instead of zombies (Doggie Apocalypse? World War D?) with a hardy group of survivors barely holding their own in a city full of ravenous predators. But in actual implementation it would be a laughingstock for gamers who can't see past the endless pooches. The stuff with the Denver PD and getting the scav camp running were all good.

Like I said, Boulder Dome is a much stronger candidate. The only problem is that overall, most of the VB locations would be tonally off for NV. Let's face it, NV is fairly campy, with all the darkness in the setting coming from bitter ironies like Vault 11 or the tendency for NCR to reward and encourage blustery incompetence in positions of power, whereas VB was extra-light on the irony and camp and extra-heavy on existential dread, which NV is almost totally lacking in.

Edited by Pop

I think Obsidian could very easily pull off a starker, grittier game than New Vegas, although there was plenty of 'grit' mixed in with the 'camp' of New Vegas. The problem would be preparing the consumers for the different direction. Heaven knows that the Fallout universe draws out some pretty strong responses in folks. As far as the dog apocalypse, it sounds ridiculous on its face. *shrug* Make a fun game and players like me will enjoy it no matter how laughable it sounds in concept. Hell, look at M.U.L.E.

Yeah, mkreku, I think a harsher game would definitely be a lot of fun, but even Fallout 1 wasn't really that harsh. It was way too populated to be the wasteland survival sim some folks recall it to be. Sure, maybe folks can argue that the series took a turn to the zany with Fallout 2, but it frankly didn't have very far to go to get there. The very idea of 'pip boy' is campy enough to put Fallout 1 strait on the road to Fallout 2.

I say, pick over the bones of Van Buren for whatever will work in further expansions and try to get into survival horror in other titles.

When I first heard about Aliens, I thought it sounded like a bargain bin game at best. Once I got a few glimpses of it, I was stoked. That was a great concept for a survival horror roleplaying game that could have satisfied folks looking for real grit without the camp. I even considered seeing if I could play a little bit of it, but I never got around to asking. I think, in the back of my mind, I was afraid it would ruin some of the surprises for me. If I'd known it would be my only chance to play it at all, I would have definitely given it a shot. What's the worst the answer could have been? No?

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Since I can't get Cass with low Barter/Speech, I tried Veronica a while, with one of my now far-too-many characters/save games. ;) Those lines she says every single time I open her inventory drove me insane. The fact I can't play 'dress up the paper doll' with her like I could with Boone was disappointing. I mean, I can get Boone down to his skivvies since his Grunt Armor is removable from his inventory, unlike Veronica's robe thing. All companions should be able to get down to their skivvies, it's like a game law!

After an hour of her inventory lines, however, I ditched her. Even thought about killing her, especially when she said "Everyone always says that" when I told her we must part. But I left her alive....for now. Time to see if I can get Arcade w/out any skill checks...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't want her naked, I want her to wear non-armor. The idea of running around killing in dirty pre-war dresses...the wild female duo...would amuse me.

Besides, I imagine she'd look better in this hat than Boone does.

falloutNV-113.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think what you are experiencing is actually a symptom somewhere in my DSM-IV. I'll have to check.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's called I didn't play dress up or with dollies when I was a child, and now thanks to the power of computer games, I'm making up for it.

Finished my second playthrough, this time with the Legion (first time was the NCR).

I actually enjoyed the CL storyline more than I thought I would. Aside from stuff I don't like about the faction itself, the only complaint I'd make is that it would've been really beneficial for it to have more NPCs to talk to, especially who could maybe talk a bit about how life really is back in the Legion controlled territories. I quite liked Caesar as a character and liked his arguments (though you can certainly feel the history-nerd influence, haha). I just wish there was *more* rationalization throughout the various NPCs.

It feels rather thin when compared to the NCR.

The plus side is that I enjoyed the end-game a lot more with CL. The whole combat romp just feels much more fitting when you're with the Legion, easier to get caught up in the bloodthirst of it all. The NCR endgame had me feeling rather bored.

And again, I felt the ending slides were very well done. Aside from a few missing links, they feel quite comprehensive and seem to take into account a great many things. The consequences feel believable. Great job on that.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It's called I didn't play dress up or with dollies when I was a child, and now thanks to the power of computer games, I'm making up for it.

Barbie dress up is an essential part of the Fallout experience. I can't count the number of NPCs I have murdered simply because I absolutely needed to try on their gear.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Went back to my "main" character that was close to the endgame. She still had tons of sidequests left to do but gar, too much, maybe later. So I just barreled through the NCR main quests. Lvl 26, Very Hard. The stuff near the end became a bit tedious for me, at least on the NCR path. By that I mean, all the back & forth for quests...back and forth, back and forth...that NCR commander chick was annoying too. All business, no fun, get out of my face lady. heh If it wasn't for Boone I'd have whacked her a few times.

Since I was using Boone the whole time, I was pleased that whatever I'd done gave him the relatively good epilogue. Not a happy one so much, but at least he didn't commit suicide or turn into a bitter, evil mercenary or something! Made me feel like I'd "saved" him from himself...kind of. He'll always be damaged. Poor Boone. :sorcerer:

Great job Obsidian, and of course I have to thank Jason Marsden for what I think is his awesome voice work on Boone. :lol:

Now I can go back to mucking about. Fun stuff....fun game.

The stuff near the end became a bit tedious for me, at least on the NCR path. By that I mean, all the back & forth for quests...back and forth, back and forth...that NCR commander chick was annoying too. All business, no fun, get out of my face lady.

I was laughing a little to myself at this point because I had actually almost done everything she asked me to do beforehand (I had gone to the Khans and dealt with that, I had done the Boomer quests etc).

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah...after a point in the game I started only getting stuff on the map, and didn't really go in to do anything because I was afraid of "breaking" stuff. So I still had to a lot of it to do from scratch. I'd still broken Papa Khan's bit tho. :/

Barbie dress up is an essential part of the Fallout 3 / New Vegas experience. I can't count the number of NPCs I have murdered simply because I absolutely needed to try on their gear.

Fixed.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Barbie dress up is an essential part of the Fallout experience. I can't count the number of NPCs I have murdered simply because I absolutely needed to try on their gear.

Yeah I have to kill almost every Gambler I see because I want every suit variation there is, I wish they just let you like, buy gambler clothing or soemthing so I wouldn't have to kill everyone. Also I was really mad when I found out that the Grimy Pre-War Businesswear wasn't a black suit anymore and was just the same skin as Dirty Pre-War Businesswear.

Also has anyone tried using the Lucky 38's Penthouse as their safehouse? Like, are the containers ok to put stuff in or not?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

You can buy normal clothing. Mick and Ralph's really does have everything.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Wait they have the gambler's suits?

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Also has anyone tried using the Lucky 38's Penthouse as their safehouse? Like, are the containers ok to put stuff in or not?

That's where I stored all my stuff, including my companions I didn't bring along with me.

You can even buy more trunks and dressers.

It was weird coming home after a day of killing things to find Arcade and Boone asleep beside each other in my bed.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That's where I stored all my stuff, including my companions I didn't bring along with me.

You can even buy more trunks and dressers.

It was weird coming home after a day of killing things to find Arcade and Boone asleep beside each other in my bed.

That's the Presidential Suite, what I'm talking about is the Penthouse which is where the big computer screen with Mr. House on it is located.

Also haha yeah I've walking into a lot of wierd people sleeping in the same bed situations. And it's not just companions. In Camp Golf the NCR soldiers sleep together in some of the beds.