Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

The LIves of Others

Film about the Stasi, and one couple in particular. Kind of reminds me of being a mod. Five stars.

Great film.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Tron Legacy. Was not disappointed. Great stuff. Huge fan of the first movie and now the same with the second.

Yeah, saw it yesterday and I quite liked it as well (bad ass soundtrack).. What keeps it from being great imho is the very Christian theme, the lead character's bad acting and the transparent plot. Although I did found the subtle endorsement of piracy quite interesting.

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah, saw it yesterday and I quite liked it as well (bad ass soundtrack).. What keeps it from being great imho is the very Christian theme, the lead character's bad acting and the transparent plot. Although I did found the subtle endorsement of piracy quite interesting.

I didn't see any Christian theme in it. If anything it was buddhism but more in line with spirituality in general with all the books Flynn had on his bookcase. The religious subtext is even more so in the first movie such as when the old guy says to Dillinger that their (the programmers) spirits are in every program they create. And Dillinger says he doesn't want to have religious discussions with him. There are numerous examples. There was always a religious subtext to the original Tron in how the Programmers were regarded with respect to the Programs. It doesn't change that there is a creator & creation angle in both movies. I felt Tron Legacy deflected the spritiual side of things better than the first movie given the post modern times we live in.

The A-Team.

The critics slated it, the fans went meh but I loved it. It was more fun than a sack of kittens.

Also, finally the A-Team developed some weapon-handling skillz and actually shot someone, which made some people completely crazy but seemed right for the movie. The guy who plays Howlin' Mad Murdoch captured the part brilliantly, he was always my favourite character.

Anyhow, with dialogue like this you know you're onto a winner:

MP in control room: "What are they trying to do with that tank?"

Ridiculously hot Jessica Biel: "Fly it."

sonsofgygax.JPG

I didn't see any Christian theme in it. If anything it was buddhism but more in line with spirituality in general with all the books Flynn had on his bookcase. The religious subtext is even more so in the first movie such as when the old guy says to Dillinger that their (the programmers) spirits are in every program they create. And Dillinger says he doesn't want to have religious discussions with him. There are numerous examples. There was always a religious subtext to the original Tron in how the Programmers were regarded with respect to the Programs. It doesn't change that there is a creator & creation angle in both movies. I felt Tron Legacy deflected the spritiual side of things better than the first movie given the post modern times we live in.

Well yeah, there were quite a few "Zen" moments - but the whole "Father the creator, Son the liberator" felt very Christian.

I've yet to see the original, in light of that the overall Zen of it was probably lost to me I guess.

Fortune favors the bald.

On that note of old films, one of the small "arty" cinemas near here did a Kurosawa festival awhile back... I have to say, watching Yojimbo and the Seven Samurai on the big screen was an experience.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have to say, watching Yojimbo and the Seven Samurai on the big screen was an experience.

I envy you. Two of my favourite movies.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Inception. Really enjoyed it especially considering I'm facinated with dreams. I've had lucid dreams in the past and they were amazing experiences. I've also experienced real world stimuli affecting my dream. Maybe it was all the shooters I played but I remember dreaming that I was in some sort of gun fight and the crack of every gun coincided with me hearing a thunder clap in reality, the dream ending as a particularly loud one woke me up, which in the dream was a final gunshot at me.

The Jacket- Been a while since I've enjoyed a hardcore sci-fi film, plus it has Adrien Brody that's a major +

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Get Him to the Greek - It wasn't quite what I expected, as in it was a bit more serious in tone. The guy has a serious drug problem and although they do use it humorously, it gets a bit heavy in parts. It was decent, I suppose. Sean 'P Diddy' Combs was a revelation as an intense music producer. Not much of a stretch for him, but he pulled it off with gusto.

I also was uncomfortable about the lead actor's weight. He looks very unhealthy, like John Candy at the end unhealthy.

Naqoyqatsi. Decided to re-watch it (saw it in theaters). Decent music, but I must be too dumb to grok it

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ultramarines - computer animated film, based on a rookie squad of Ultramarines on their first actual combat drop when an Imperial Shrine World sends out a distress call.

Throw in the usual Warhammer 40k gothic horror, a host of Imperial Iron Fists protecting a sacred relic on a dustbowl planet, Black Legion Chaos Marines, and a Demon...

Oh, and a batch of UK names doing the voices.. Terence Stamp, Sean Pertwee, John Hurt...

All in all, the 40K world details, the lore..that's in there, the voice acting is as expected from such generally superb, the story isn't exactly original.. and the animation around the battle sequences is a touch sucky. And yeah, it doesn't feel like genetically engineered supersoldiers. They come across as pretty much religious indoctrinated "normals" wearing armour with big shoulderpads....

But if you like 40k, it's probably worth the 70-80 minutes to watch it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oh I forgot about that movie. Will have to give it a look (although it'd have been cooler if it were Dark Angels :ermm: )

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh I forgot about that movie. Will have to give it a look (although it'd have been cooler if it were Dark Angels :ermm: )

Can't have 40k without Rowboat Girlyman's smurfs ruining it, can we?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Fifth Element. I don't think I ever watched the full movie when it first came out. Good stuff.

The Fighter. Despite not having a whole lot of fighting, it was good. I usually dislike Wahlberg but this was good for him, he does well in those rough Boston type roles like the departed tho obviously this was no where near as good. Not a huge boxing fan and the story is simple but I was very pleased with how it turned out. Nice cast of characters and some great redemption.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (whatever the second one in series is)

Its Swedish but with English language track, pretty good.

The Girl who played with Fire.

Saw Going the Distance, good cutesy romantic comedy. Got quite a few laughs.

Edited by Orogun01

village_idiot.gif

Law Abiding Citizen

God, I'm tired of these stupid movies where the entire plot revolves around one guy guessing what everyone else in the entire world is going to do.. and who guesses perfectly right 100% of the time. If anyone as much as goes to the toilet unexpectedly, his plans would be ruined, but nooo, it's all like clockwork. So stupid it hurts.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Law Abiding Citizen

God, I'm tired of these stupid movies where the entire plot revolves around one guy guessing what everyone else in the entire world is going to do.. and who guesses perfectly right 100% of the time. If anyone as much as goes to the toilet unexpectedly, his plans would be ruined, but nooo, it's all like clockwork. So stupid it hurts.

Yeah, I remember sitting there afterwards laughing about how completly "mastermind"ish he was presented and how stupid his plan actually was - I mean, with that kind of foresight, he could've taken down the entire country :)

Fortune favors the bald.