I just lost 26 hours of my life playing New Vegas, just to have my saves get corrupted...

Violetta

My Fallout: New Vegas save files are corrupt and crash my Xbox 360. I was putting a frag grenade in some guy's pocket. Then nothing happened to I loaded it back up to right before I put the grenade in his pocket in Novac and it said something like "you need DLC to continue, certain items will be removed from your inventory now, will you comply" with "yes" and "no" options. I clicked something like "no" and immediately hit my Xbox button and went to dashboard. Then tried to load it back up, but it crashes. I tried again several times, same result. I even tried loading different save files. Which were also corrupt. Well there goes 26 hours of my life that I'll never get back. Oh and it's not just my game that crashes, my entire 360 freezes indefinitely at the loading screen.

My Fallout: New Vegas save files are corrupt and crash my Xbox 360. I was putting a frag grenade in some guy's pocket. Then nothing happened to I loaded it back up to right before I put the grenade in his pocket in Novac and it said something like "you need DLC to continue, certain items will be removed from your inventory now, will you comply" with "yes" and "no" options. I clicked something like "no" and immediately hit my Xbox button and went to dashboard. Then tried to load it back up, but it crashes. I tried again several times, same result. I even tried loading different save files. Which were also corrupt. Well there goes 26 hours of my life that I'll never get back. Oh and it's not just my game that crashes, my entire 360 freezes indefinitely at the loading screen.

Oh man, that stinks.

What do you want; a refund? Get back to playing.

Yeah, but I rented it at Blockbuster, and it's due back tomorrow.

Then can you guess what to do? Buy the game if you like it or don't. But please don't assume that we care about corrupted files as if they were a tragedy. :lol:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Then can you guess what to do? Buy the game if you like it or don't. But please don't assume that we care about corrupted files as if they were a tragedy. :)

Well if they patch it, will my save work, or would I still have to start over?

Then can you guess what to do? Buy the game if you like it or don't. But please don't assume that we care about corrupted files as if they were a tragedy. :)

Well if they patch it, will my save work, or would I still have to start over?

I don't know. I DO know that they are currently aware of the problem and seem to be working on it. Whether their patch (when it comes out) makes it so you can play from the save, or if the save is irretrievable at this point is completely unknown to me.

Edited by greylord

What, the 360 version uses Steamworks as well?

(Ohohoho)

Seriously though it probably wasn't a good idea to drop to the dashboard if there is any chance its writing stuff to HD (or whatever an Arcade uses) as even though an HD is more reliable you can stuff things up that way. It may be fixable by something basic like clearing the cache and or reinstalling to the HD.

[Realistically though the save games are probably stuffed and it probably isn't due to non save game file corruption, sadly. Having said that I had much the same thing happen to me in Oblivion once, albeit on PC, and the save games did end up working again after a reinstall]

Edited by Zoraptor

I had similar issues with Fable 2 on the 360.

edit: I hate to say it, but I have a little less sympathy for you since you rented it. You are really only out a few bucks, and since you got 26 hours of entertainment, I'd say you came out pretty well.

Edited by Hurlshot

When I used my X-box, I always rented the game before I bought it. I think it all evens out in the end. There were games I rented but never bought because I disliked them. There were also games I rented that I would never have bought if I hadn't rented them first.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

"The words 'console' and 'patch' should never be uttered in the same sentence. "

Why? Consoles are basically computers anyways so to expect them to be bug free while hinting that it'sm somehgow okay for PC games to be buggy is silly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why? Consoles are basically computers anyways so to expect them to be bug free while hinting that it'sm somehgow okay for PC games to be buggy is silly.

It is okay for PC games to be buggy because developing a game for PC is developing for dozens of different systems. Developing for a console is developing for a single system. That's why console games have always been less buggy than PC games.

Consoles are basically computers, but part of the draw of a console is that you don't have to deal with all the crap PC gaming gives you. You don't have to worry about your hardware, operating system, drivers, or that the e-mail with the cute pictures you looked at has a virus. Ease of use has always been one of the strengths of the console, and transforming them in mini-PCs or 'home entertainment centers' annoys me.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It is okay for PC games to be buggy because developing a game for PC is developing for dozens of different systems. Developing for a console is developing for a single system. That's why console games have always been less buggy than PC games.

Consoles are basically computers, but part of the draw of a console is that you don't have to deal with all the crap PC gaming gives you. You don't have to worry about your hardware, operating system, drivers, or that the e-mail with the cute pictures you looked at has a virus. Ease of use has always been one of the strengths of the console, and transforming them in mini-PCs or 'home entertainment centers' annoys me.

as a pc gamer, we much prefer playing games like fo:nv on the pc. however, to avoid the beta-quality o' the typical pc release we has stopped buying pc games on day 1 of release. the main reason we bought fo:nv for the xbox 360 were to avoid being an unpaid beta-tester for bethesda and obsidian. so imagine our surprise when we discovered that the initial release of fo:nv has been plagued by glitches, freezes and bugs.

it seems that some lessons gotta be learned the hard way... no more day 1 purchases o' xbox 360 for Gromnir.

*sigh*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The words 'console' and 'patch' should never be uttered in the same sentence.

it's an X-box...it happens these days. This isn't the first time, and it's happened many times previously. X-box games get patched these days...it's an MS thing. Don't like it...buy a Wii...of course then you wouldn't be playing F:NV on it either. I don't like the idea either...anymore than I like Steam...but that's how things happen. Live with it.

The words 'console' and 'patch' should never be uttered in the same sentence.

it's an X-box...it happens these days. This isn't the first time, and it's happened many times previously. X-box games get patched these days...it's an MS thing. Don't like it...buy a Wii...of course then you wouldn't be playing F:NV on it either. I don't like the idea either...anymore than I like Steam...but that's how things happen. Live with it.

I don't own an X-Box 360 or a Wii. :)

Yes, I know it's happened before.

You failed to comply.

Sorry to hear that btw.

the main reason we bought fo:nv for the xbox 360 were to avoid being an unpaid beta-tester for bethesda and obsidian. so imagine our surprise when we discovered that the initial release of fo:nv has been plagued by glitches, freezes and bugs.

Good luck patching that.

I don't own an X-Box 360 or a Wii. :(

Clever girl.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Consoles and games aren't like they used to be. This generation of consoles is basically a computer, fraught with plenty of hardware issues, and console games are infinitely more complex than they were in the 8-bit days.

every generation o' consoles has basically been computers... no new insight. what sets consoles apart is that they got a single hardware configuration and the qa folks not have to account for the vagaries created by the individual pc owners software and driver problems. now it is true that today's consoles ain't as uniform as they once was, but the fact that an xbox is a computer is hardly a noteworthy observation.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

they weren't always like ths. consoles didn't have a harddrive, y'know. there was no sucj thing as a "patch". if the game was buggy - tough luck, play something else. there *were* times, when the same game would get re-releaed with some fixes, but it was a rare occurence, as you can probably tell.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Bugs are not news on the consoles, but are much more prominent this generation, yeah. Developers have taken the 'we can patch the games now' as a license to release unfinished products, which is unacceptable. That said, it's incredible how different the game experience seems to be between various people with the same console. I've heard people saying that the PS3 version sucks and other gushing about it, same with the PS3. You'd expect it to be more consistent. :( Note: I do not intend to discount Gromnir's experience with that comment. People should not have that type of experience with a console (and PC, for that matter, but the problems there are more understandable) game. Under no circumstances.

Like already said, consoles are like PC nowadays and with OS and hardware failures (chipset, board,...), one can't expect to have bug free softwares on consoles.

The only thing that consoles avoid are hardware incompatibilities and the advantage of console is that testing a soft on a console is closer to all other consoles of the same type.

I don't really understand though why people still use Xbox360 and PS3 which are really outdated and not cheaper than a PC of the same power. But it's everyone's choice after all.

Edited by Orchomene

They're aware of some people getting that error & are looking into it. Whether any solution will actually mean the saves will be accessible I have no idea. Also, it won't help w/the rented game issue. :( I don't know if others have your 360 crash along with the non-accessible saves. Like someone else said, maybe the quick xbox button hit caused another problem. Dunno.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100172-ano...h-released.html

On consoles, we are aware that a small group of 360 users are seeing a DLC warning which is preventing you from loading save games. We are absolutely looking into this bug now, along with other reports of save game corruption. It is our highest priority right now that we find out what is causing it.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts