KotOR MMO epic fail?

TheHarlequin

On blues news a blog by a soon to be released EA employee posts that bioware had burned though over 300mil on the star wars mmo and aside from the voice over work there isn't much to be proud of. While one can say its a soon to be laid off employee lashing out its all emotion and no facts that's just as bad as blindly swallowing everything s/he says as well. Like most things in life the truth in a shade of gray. So even if only 50% true that does imply the mmo is in trouble. Interesting to say the least.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/115064/ea-bashing

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

First it's not a Kotor MMO. Second, it's an employee about to be laid off. I would take everything he/she says with more than a grain of salt, especially when it seems that he/she basically wants to criticize everything EA did. It sounds a lot like he/she wants to put the burden of failure on someone else's shoulder and not admit that maybe he/she was fired for doing a bad job. :ermm:

First it's not a Kotor MMO. Second, it's an employee about to be laid off. I would take everything he/she says with more than a grain of salt, especially when it seems that he/she basically wants to criticize everything EA did. It sounds a lot like he/she wants to put the burden of failure on someone else's shoulder and not admit that maybe he/she was fired for doing a bad job. :ermm:

1. Split hairs you know what I meant... Im not following it nor couldn't care about it less. However I know others here are hence why I posted it.

2. I know.. I said it was a 'soon to be laid off employee'. How about read what I posted? Try that for a plan, generally works better :)

3. Like I said, the truth is generally in the middle somewhere in these cases. I HIGHLY doubt he made up all of this with no grains of truth of it. Exaggerated? Perhaps. But I'd put any amount of money there is SOME truth to his comments.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

LOL at the Avatar comparison.

I sure hope he's right.

You hope he's right? What exactly have we to gain from Bioware and Mythic falling hard? :ermm:

I get to say: "I told you so."*

:)

(this applies to Bioware, I'm not familiar with Mythic or particularly interested in it)

*lemme elaborate. IMO the only way for Bioware games I liked to play to reappear is for Bioware to collapse and split into smaller teams that can work with more artistic freedom. Back to the drawing board so to speak. I'm interested in the talent Bioware owns, but I couldn't care less for the company itself. In fact, I think its impeding creativity.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Bioware said that KotOR Online would have something like 9-10 KotORs worth of content so it's about 30 miilion per "episode". Certainly a lot of money, but definately not huge budget per episode nowadays. Obviously 300 million would be most expensive computer game ever and it has a huge bomba probability. They try to go after WoW kinda cash and none other then WoW has so far been successful in that.

On topic of Mythic that guy is full of crap. EA nor Bioware had anything to do with Warhammer Online sucking. It was Mark Jacobs and his posse that just didn't know how to reach the modern MMOG segment and their creative compass was almost always pointing to magnetic "wrong". Massive ad campaign wouldn't have done anything good as game was very front loaded and almost million players tried it. And game just wasn't good enough to keep 'em. Mythic got what they deserved.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

1. Split hairs you know what I meant... Im not following it nor couldn't care about it less. However I know others here are hence why I posted it.

2. I know.. I said it was a 'soon to be laid off employee'. How about read what I posted? Try that for a plan, generally works better :ermm:

3. Like I said, the truth is generally in the middle somewhere in these cases. I HIGHLY doubt he made up all of this with no grains of truth of it. Exaggerated? Perhaps. But I'd put any amount of money there is SOME truth to his comments.

1. So now being accurate is splitting hairs?

2. I know what you said. How about you reading what I say? I used that to introduce my point.

3. Nope. That's a logical fallacy. The truth isn't automatically always in the middle, and quite frankly, I would never trust someone that acts so unprofessionally and spreads gossip without proof to back it up. And quite honestly, what's so bad in Bioware being proud about having made the first MMO with full voice-acting? He's acting like that's not an achievement.

I'll reserve comment on the whinging for now, but there's good news in there in as much as they acknowledge some employee/s are still interested in Ultima!

Oh yeah, and he needed Paul Barnett. You know him as the crazy British dude that appears in random videos at EA to promote his latest bull****tery. We know him as the crazy British dude who we have no idea of how he still has a job. This man was supposed to be the savior of Warhammer’s vision and design. Now all he can do is promote his strange ideas about his little secret project web Ultima game that’s been almost universally criticized by all of us and focus groups. What’s that? You didn”t know Paul loves one of those old Ultima games sooooo much he’s making a literal copy of it for Facebook? Well, the cats outta the bag. Too bad it sucks ass.

Oh, it's that guy campaigning for Wing Commander - http://twitter.com/thatbarnettblok/status/25778878033

EDIT: Incidentally, Wikipedia tells me that WC4's budget was $12m. You could get 25 of them for SWMMO's $300m!

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

If the rest of the game is designed like the "make it seem like an accident" mission implies, he may be on to something. :ermm:

And game just wasn't good enough to keep 'em. Mythic got what they deserved.
Apparently most players (as in, almost all of them) played Disorder, so Order had no players = no faction balance = not fun etc. Edited by Oner

2. I know.. I said it was a 'soon to be laid off employee'. How about read what I posted? Try that for a plan, generally works better :ermm:

1. So now being accurate is splitting hairs?

2. I know what you said. How about you reading what I say? I used that to introduce my point.

3. Nope. That's a logical fallacy. The truth isn't automatically always in the middle, and quite frankly, I would never trust someone that acts so unprofessionally and spreads gossip without proof to back it up. And quite honestly, what's so bad in Bioware being proud about having made the first MMO with full voice-acting? He's acting like that's not an achievement.

1. Did you not understand what I was referring too? Clearly you did. Again I am not following it and not sure what else to call it except that. And since you didn't correct me simply said 'you are wrong' in essence not sure what you want me to take away from it except you nit picking to boost your own ego.

2. Fair enough.

3. I disagree. Generally with that many complaints its based on something. Not completely made up for the hell of it, in my life experience at least. Do I think there may be some exaggerations and truth bending going on even perhaps some out right lies? I'd put money on it. However past the surface I think s/he has been exposed to things you and I have not seen and there is some nuggets of facts and truth. Again I would be HIGHLY surprised to find it it is ALL inaccurate 100%. I have seen people do these kind of things MANY times in my life and while they may push a POV or a agenda there is ALWAYS some amount of fact and truth its based off of. Skewed perhaps but still based in fact. And IMO RARELY is life all about 100% black and white. Its almost always a shade of gray. Little in this world is 100% one extreme, black/white, or the other. If you disagree I am envious of your life being so clear cut as it is all the time.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

SW:TOR is going to be crap. This has been overwhelmingly obvious for a very long period of time.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

SW:TOR is going to be crap. This has been overwhelmingly obvious for a very long period of time.

It has? How?

The design goal is flawed. They want a single-player RPG that they can charge a monthly subscription for, so they inevitably ended up with something that looks like a clunky half-cRPG half-MMO monstrosity.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Even if everything he says is the truth, it doesn't mean it's necessarilly correct. He could just be spouting out rumors. I find the possibility of them having spent $300 million to be ludicrous. Even as a Mythic employee, it doesn't mean he has access to all the facts.

So I guess I'm in grain of salt territory. While I'm not particularly optimistic for TOR (I still feel too little is known about the game for where they should be in development), the man's claims deserve to be questioned.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm going nowhere near SW:TOR, purely on principle (I'm disgusted at how they shat all over KotOR2's cliffhanger ending and removed all the complexity it had added to the character of Revan). The fact that the game is going to be crap is just extra justification.

Also, fully voicing an MMO is gimmicky and unnecessary. The resources could be better spent improving the actual game - I find that text aids immersion, to be honest.

Edited by Oblarg

It has? How?

The design goal is flawed. They want a single-player RPG that they can charge a monthly subscription for, so they inevitably ended up with something that looks like a clunky half-cRPG half-MMO monstrosity.

Color me stupid but I don't see what you're proposing the problem is. MMO's share many features of single player RPGs?

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life