Dungeon Siege 3 at New York Comic Con

Half of these sound more like assumptions than actual facts. For example first they say that mouse/tast combo isn't calibrated enough and then they say that there will be no hotkey system. Or that you can not upset your partner enough to leave you which I assume was based on the demo they played.

I think the hotkey system is pretty easy to understand : since the game's combat seems to encourage the player to mix stances and attacks, I think it simply means that the keyboard mapping will follow the console mapping : one or multiple keys to switch stances, and three keys to activate the abilities linked to that stance. The player won't need more, it's not a hotkey-friendly system that was shoe-horned on a console controller, it's a system based from the ground up to only need a gamepad's buttons.

If there was more than three skills by stance, but that the player was still limited at three skills by stance in 'direct access', hotkeys could have been useful for switching between configurations of skills. But here, it's not useful.

Hotkeys to directly switch from one ability to the other doesn't seem necessary for that game. Heck, I think it's designed in such a way that having hotkeys would go against the design goals! It's not like Fallout 3's system where there is a potentially unlimited amount of weapons and consumables that you can use, and it justifies the use of hotkeys that the player can map at his leisure.

We don't really know what the partner thing is based upon, but if its true, I'm nonetheless expecting something in the vein of AP, with reputation with your followers bringing some kind of bonuses depending on its level.

Edited by Sannom

Hi!

Been super duper busy so apologies for being absent. WUN asked if I could drop in and validate some of these claims. I can try but some have simply not been revealed or decided upon yet.

- Mouse and keyboard controls haven't been calibrated to the point where Obsidian/Square Enix are willing to let outsiders play on them - That's accurate. The guys at Obsidian and SE want the game to play and feel great on the PC.

- Game is still at pre-alpha - Not accurate but the build they saw / played may have been.

- The King's daughter (Jeyne Kassyndar blamed the 10th Legion for the fall of King - No comment on storyline yet.

- The King did fall at a time of warring factions

- The Legion was hunted down by Kassyndor's forces

- According to PC Gamer, there are no classes - Kind of true we have Heroes :lol:

- There is no class selection screen - This sentence is not complete.... Hmmm.

- Lucas Montbarren can distribute his skill points into three stances (One-handed, two-handed weapons and healing defensive stance) - No comment

- You can select three powers for Lucas at early levels, with six more powers opening at higher levels - No comment

- According to PC Gamer, DSIII does not have the strategic depth or character development of Diablo - Based on what they played I'd agree but they didn't play the entire game.

- Loot is only gently randomized - 'gently' randomized? What does that mean?

- Each stance has its own set of three special attacks - No comment

- Nine skills, each of them has two branches - No comment

- You get an extra bonus for maxing out a particular talent - No comment

- There are combos (automatic animations) that trigger on the third attack - Lots of combos.

- The game is a little more forgiving with the mouse aim - This is an opinion and should be taken that way.

- No one to nine hockey system. Hockey?

- Character relationship won't be as complicated as in Dragon Age - Is that a good or bad thing? Based on what they played I don't see how they can make this claim.

- You can not upset the NPC enough to leave your party - no comment

- You can define your character as forgiving, vengeful, loyal or practical and party members will react to that - More than party members will react to that ....

- No classes, but different heroes (Most fantasy archetypes will be represented) - sounds about right

- "The levellin-up screen isn't as daunting - or as compelling - as a big, lovely skill tree." - Another opinion...

Hope this is what you were looking for. We are gearing up for another press tour so expect more soon!

Thanks for your support and I hope you enjoy the title when it's released!

SquareEnixDave

Same than WUNE, thanks for taking the time to answer those questions :lol: .

I would like to express a request : could you hold off the PR stuff until you can show more of the other classes and more details about the skills and passive abilities?

- Character relationship won't be as complicated as in Dragon Age

What do they mean with this? All it took to having a good relationship with party members was showering them with gifts, even if one acted contrary to their desires during quests.

NWN 2's & KOTOR 2's influence system had DA beaten.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

- Character relationship won't be as complicated as in Dragon Age

What do they mean with this? All it took to having a good relationship with party members was showering them with gifts, even if one acted contrary to their desires during quests.

NWN 2's & KOTOR 2's influence system had DA beaten.

Now you lost at least -15 reputation with Volourn.

But it's okay, just give him a golden statue of the Doctors at Bioware and you'll gain at least +30 reputation.

Oh and thanks Dave for the answers.

And any idea when we might have a preview in a finnish gaming magazine (preferrably Pelit, since the others aren't very good)? :lol:

Hate the living, love the dead.

Yeah, it was just a typo. I was a little bit in a hurry yesterday. :lol: Gently was the word they used ("Loot, explains Davis, is only gently randomized. Some stats will be different from game to game, but not names, and many of the items - particularly rare ones - are hand-placed.") As for the mouse being more forgiving, that's actually how they quoted Feargus: "When you're playing an action RPG on the PC, when you don't exactly hit the creature that you attack, you then walk to where you clicked. So what we're playing around with right now is that the game is a little more forgiving with the mouse aim, and does that for you. If you're near a creature, it'll swing the sword for you." I don't know what they mean with the Character releationship ("You'll have relationship with other non-hero characters, but it won't be as complicated as, say, Dragon Age, and you'll never upset anyone enough to leave your party.").

Edited by Bendu

Much appreaciated.

This comment

- According to PC Gamer, DSIII does not have the strategic depth or character development of Diablo - Based on what they played I'd agree but they didn't play the entire game.

Makes me hopeful. I didn't expect that to be in the first place but I interpret this as the game getting more complex with time. Though I really don't know if such a system will work well for co-op.

Hi!

Been super duper busy so apologies for being absent. WUN asked if I could drop in and validate some of these claims. I can try but some have simply not been revealed or decided upon yet.

SNIPPED

- No classes, but different heroes (Most fantasy archetypes will be represented) - sounds about right

- "The levellin-up screen isn't as daunting - or as compelling - as a big, lovely skill tree." - Another opinion...

Hope this is what you were looking for. We are gearing up for another press tour so expect more soon!

Thanks for your support and I hope you enjoy the title when it's released!

SquareEnixDave

Any word on on what the difference between classes and heroes is? I'm guessing you select a class at the beginning of the game and can't change. Is this correct? This is opposed to say NWN2 where you can select a new class each time you level up, to the maximum of 4 different classes, or DS1 where you can max out all classes.

I'm sure it will be very differerent from NWN2. Outside of D&D systems you don't really see such a complicated character development system, outside 'prestige classes' (like DA brought in from D&D).

Tweet by SquareEnixLiz

SquareEnixLiz Up early! Pumped to show off Dungeon Siege III today in LA :-D #LoveMyJob

I just hope I don't anger the funcroc by doing this

Hopefully there will be more concrete material coming soon so that we have some facts.

Edited by C2B

Hi!

- There is no class selection screen - This sentence is not complete.... Hmmm.

What?

I thought this was going to be like a Diablo game: pick a class and go for the loot... my dreams are crushed now :lol:

Edited by yoomazir

http://twitter.com/SquareEnixLiz

"San Francisco is beautiful today! Headed over to GameSpot with @ACPSpiffer to show off Dungeon Siege III #LoveMyJob"

"Btw @ign has amazing new office space (new to me, anyway) and Dungeon Siege III looks incredible on the big screen in their demo room"

"Long day of press demos done! Though now I want to go home and play Dungeon Siege :-D"

I thought this was going to be like a Diablo game: pick a class and go for the loot... my dreams are crushed now :)

DS has always been "you be the class of the weapon you pick".

You want to be a mage, use spells, you'll be a mage. No silly character screen that locks you in place.

Of course DS3 is wanting to be a bit different, so who knows what happens here...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Italian preview.

Doesn't seem to be based on a hands-on and there's very little new information (and I'm not sure if that information is correct, considering they mention the Guardian class as capable of using hammer and maces and I've yet to see anything that leads to that conclusion). Also, they seem convinced that the release date is March 25th, which seems a little bit too early for me and IIRC it's just the placeholder date for some retailers.

W-was that a Google translation? :thumbsup:

Is it the italian preview? Because... WOW.

No, no, it wasn't. I was just asking because the grammar and wording are really really weird and not something I'd expect from a native English speaker.. no, let me rephrase it, it's not something I'd expect from someone who speaks English at all, not even a beginner.