Dungeon Siege 3 at New York Comic Con

A Polish guy named Sebastian Skuza kindly gave a summary of CD-Action's DS3 preview but it didn't have any new info.

Hi there.

In a nutshell:

A lot of text about Obsidian's facility and people plus a little of history and overall characterisation

- history takes place after the last invasion of the dark forces on Ehb. The won peace was just a calm before the storm

- game begins with the veterans of 10th Legion summoned before Montbarrons

- story was told by one of the veterans, Lucas (one of a few playable characters/professions)

- DSIII is definitely different than its predecessors; different perspective (over the top and just somewhere over the shoulder camera)

- Camera centers around the player

- keyboard plus mouse or pad navigation - both intuitive and responsive

- one click actions, you click to attack/perform action and the PC tries to execute the possible combinations. But not that automatic, it depends on timing, distance, sense of direction and mobility (tumble and evasion)

- no group, just one hero - being defeated means death, not just a break in the action

- a little more complicated figting and leveling system "under the hood". Hero is the key, potential companions are only background

- cooperation mode is said to be FANTASTIC; seamless joining and leaving the game by other players

- seamless world, no loading screens

- maybe linear but "story driven" said by creators

- dialogue a'la Mass Effect

So here you go.

At least it's good to just hear mention of the keyboard+mouse control scheme and that he felt it was intuitive. And I guess I hope that the linearity mentioned is mainly due to the areas demoed. I don't need an open-world game but I hope there's room for exploration and all that.

Also, I kinda wonder how the coop mode will work on the PC. It's incredibly rare that I play multiplayer but it might be fun to try out in this.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think it sounds great! But then again.. I didn't like neither of the two earlier Dungeon Siege's and this seems very different. Good for me, but I assume not so good for Dungeon Siege fans.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So, here are some details from the Gamestar preview

-Mouse/Keyboard controls not implemented yet; plays very well with gamepad

-Gamestar thinks the game looks a bit dated (I disagree)

-You choose premade heroes, each with a different background

-Different endings

-Voice actors are great

-Gamestar could only play with a warrior in the preview build (3 stances: One-handed, Two-handed, Defensive)

-DS3 is not close to completion yet, GS thinks it will be released in the second half of 2011

Well, overall a very short preview, with only one new screenshot.

Edited by Morgoth

I'm currently looking at the Pc Games article. 4 pages. There are 5 new pics including a new enemy type.

Write a summery soon.

Edit: Also a picture with Matt (MacLean). His beard is awesome as ever.

Edited by C2B

So,

-PVP modes are apperently planned

-Looks great on consoles. Even better on PC. (Better Shadows/Textures)

-The Looks give a great atmosphere

-The Dialog system isn't laid out in good vs. evil but rather in tradition vs. progressive thinking. (Which leads probably in how the new legion will be structured? My guess)

-Companions can leave you if they are unhappy. If they are happy you get boni.

-Classes are balanced to each other in their use to ensure quality teamwork in co-op.

-There is no information on how many classes.

-Talents aren't many per class but they are deeply upgradable.

-The game begins in a burning castle.

Edited by C2B

Info on the dialogue system sounds interesting.

Pretty sure they initially said there would be no PvP.. weird.

Sad to hear about the talents, but depending on how upgradeable/customizable they are it still could be cool.

EDIT: Any chance you could describe the pictures, C2B?

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I don't think they are, to be honest. Better if you ask a moderator, but it's likely that they're going to say "no".

Argh so then: The screenshots aren't particulary good to describe, two are already in the polish mag and the last one is atop the bridge fighting spiders and humanoid enemys.

No scans allowed.

One picture in the GS preview shows a dude with his summoned skeletons fighting a bunch of archers. It also says below the picture that you can stun enemies with your shield.

Another picture snipped shows an old white bearded dude in a red robe.

The special FX look really great, but characters seem to be too low-poly for my taste.

Question? Are pictures from mag scans allowed here?

To answer your question...

Advertisement: This forum is not to be used to advertise or distribute products, services or copyrighted material. Please do not post scans of magazine articles about our games

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Gamestar also mentioned that DS3 is to 60% complete.

So I guess this is a summer/fall release.

Away from Witcher 2, Dragon Age 2, Torchlight 2 and every MMO to be released. If it gets released mid-summer, it would be great timing for the game, I think. A lot of games benefit from such release dates.

Today i finally got CD-ACTION.

A few facts I didn't saw here.

-Previewer is super-excited, after playing the demo he can't wait to play more of the game. (He was pessimistic before he saw it in action)

-The only bug in 3 hour-long alfa build was one small blinking texture. The animations are smooth, the engine is beautiful.

-There was only one playable character for the demo, there are more however - with different starting locations and different prologues.

A little bit unrelated to DS3, but:

- There are three teams at Obsidian at the moment:

The 1st. is making Dungeon Siege

2nd is working on Fallout:NV addons

and finally the 3rd is super secret, the author writes that Chris Avellone is working on it.