Extra Credits thread

Calax

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...Kinect-and-Move

Kinect and Move.

Includes the Augustus Sutter brand (for those who don't know he basically made Sacramento what it is with the positioning of his fort that was used to start the cali-mexico war, and was part of the triggering of the gold rush).

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I just watched the enriching lives one and actually did the exact thing there as the guy. My problem with that bit was that the potential consequences for either choice will probably boil down to "you get 4 geth troops at the final battle" instead of anything big or meaningful, rendering the whole choice to nothing more than a superfluous sidequest.

Wow, humans are probably the only creatures who see the divine in a puddle of crap.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Meh, I liked that part of Mass Effect 2 a lot and wished that more games would do stuff like that.

My problem with that bit was that the potential consequences for either choice will probably boil down to "you get 4 geth troops at the final battle" instead of anything big or meaningful, rendering the whole choice to nothing more than a superfluous sidequest.

The one thing I dislike is the need to quantify the consequences as something tangible in game. I think there are merits with a choice like that, even if you never hear of the results of the decision. In fact, putting forth some sort of outcome runs the risk of indicating what is the "right" or "wrong" choice for that situation. Something that I think is best avoided.

I just watched the enriching lives one and actually did the exact thing there as the guy. My problem with that bit was that the potential consequences for either choice will probably boil down to "you get 4 geth troops at the final battle" instead of anything big or meaningful, rendering the whole choice to nothing more than a superfluous sidequest.

Wow, humans are probably the only creatures who see the divine in a puddle of crap.

Isn't that what art's about?

:p

Isn't that what art's about?

:p

Basically, that's why aesthetics were invented. To sort out the crap from the art.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

For me choices in games are never difficult because I'm roleplaying a character. Unless I'm roleplaying a character who struggles with every choice or something bizarre like that. Extra credits made newbie error - Because it's all about the "game" these days, they forgot that some of us don't reflect our own moral and values to the main character.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Yes, you are the awesomest, Ryu.

It's also nice that they color-coded the answers, so you don't even have to read the full text before choosing.

True. I wonder why don't all developers color code their answers. Then again, choices are usually so simple that even replicant failing their Voight-Kampff test would do just fine in CRPGs. :p

For me choices in games are never difficult because I'm roleplaying a character. Unless I'm roleplaying a character who struggles with every choice or something bizarre like that. Extra credits made newbie error - Because it's all about the "game" these days, they forgot that some of us don't reflect our own moral and values to the main character.

What on Earth does roleplaying the character have to do with it? Or are you just so poor at roleplaying characters with an actual character than none of your characters have issues with moral dilemmas?

Roleplaying a character that "struggles with every choice" has nothing to do with the fact that some characters, whether it be putting yourself in the game, or roleplaying a character, are going to have struggles with choices.

I'll just ignore the "newbie comment" since placing yourself in the character role is a valid and acceptable mechanic for a roleplaying game. There's no grand poomba rules against inferring yourself on a character you control in a roleplaying game. I'd argue it's impossible unless you are trying to roleplay a character in such a way that you're just making suppositions for how they should act without drawing upon any of your own personal experiences in the process (good luck with that).

Maybe you just roleplay uninteresting characters?

Maybe you just roleplay uninteresting characters?

Could be, but still I don't understand how character could have a dilemma. You created this character, you know everything about this character. You know what choice character would choose before NPCs speak their lines. You can select "what should I do" or "I don't know what I should be doing" type of lines if game allow it (for roleplaying purposes) but in the end, you already know what you'll ultimately choose.