DirectX and copy protection

Hello community,

I got 2 questions, but I'm not sure, if these can already be answered.

1. DirectX

Will the PC version support DX9 (as the console versions) or will there be DX10/11 available?

2. copy protection

There are several methods like "online activation", "Steam", "permanently being online and connected to server xy" or a "key activation".

Which one does Square/Obsidian prefer/choose?

Might be strange but the copy protection is very important to me, because I dislike Steam.

Thanks for your time and have a nice weekend,

KO771

I'm afraid it wont matter much what Obsidian prefers in these cases, as DRM is usually something that is implemented at the sole discretion of the publisher. Might want to look at recent Square Enix releases to "test the waters" regarding what direction they are heading.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There isn't any huge difference between DX9 and DX10/11 anyways. Only on paper.

I would very much disagree with that.

There isn't any huge difference in what you see because devs don't really do much with it most of the time. But the quality difference is still readily apparent.

Unfortunately, noone seems willing to put forth the effort to use it for anything...but now that a large portion of gamers use a DX10 OS and card I'm hoping to see a lot more.

( http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey )

Edited by randomevent

There isn't any huge difference in what you see because devs don't really do much with it most of the time. But the quality difference is still readily apparent.

Unfortunately, noone seems willing to put forth the effort to use it for anything...but now that a large portion of gamers use a DX10 OS and card I'm hoping to see a lot more.

Interesting. I find the number of mono-core cpus surprising, as well as the low number of quad-core's in circulation (among steams survey group).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There is a huge difference behind the scenes, on the programmers side. DX10/11 is better/more structured, but it doesn't automatically mean games using it will get better graphics. That is still up to the artists.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Interesting. I find the number of mono-core cpus surprising, as well as the low number of quad-core's in circulation (among steams survey group).

The CPU thing might be because even the crappiest single-CPU setups like Atom do hyperthreading, which might show up as 2 CPUs. Not sure, though.

There is a huge difference behind the scenes, on the programmers side. DX10/11 is better/more structured, but it doesn't automatically mean games using it will get better graphics. That is still up to the artists.

The shader effects tend to be more accurate as well from what I've noticed (usually it's easiest to see in fog)

Which may or may not be a side effect of DX10 capable cards being of significantly more power than your average DX9 card of course, but I wouldn't know that offhand.

Anyway, Steam detects actual cores, not HT 'cores.' I wouldn't think too many people would be gaming on an Atom anyway.