Minecraft

Hurlshort

Anyone else playing Minecraft? The game is super addictive. I haven't touched the multiplayer element and I'm curious as to how it works. Does someone need to host the game and then let others join it with an IP address?

Anyone interested in setting up an Obsidian world?

I have a fairly slow DSL setup, I'm out in the boonies, but I'm not sure how important it is to have high speed for this game. I'd host the game if I can without everyone having a ton of latency.

I tried it, but I didn't get it. I hammered a few stones, built a small island, got killed by a grey.. thing who shot arrows at me. Read a short online manual, hammered a tree, built a pickaxe, hammered more stone, built a table.. didn't see the point after that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I am playing it on a private server with two friends. The world just can become so huge... I've made myself like three houses already and inbetween are many miles of hills and water and stuff. It's hard to find the one and the other, heh.

But imo it's not possible to play this on a public server. Too many griefers and people who want to **** up everything for everyone else. Just like in every multiplayer game.

Beside this, I hope that the multiplayer part will be improved 'soon'. More stuff to do, more to craft, working 100% survival mode, etc.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Playing on a private server with some other people. So far it's just fun building incredibly tall towers and then adding other bits to it.

If enough people are playing we could always have an Obsidianite server.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Multiplayer is still little too undeveloped for me currently, players are invincible and no monster spawn during nights. But when those things change I would happily jump in if someone is willing to put a server up.

Monsterspawn works, but they are invulnerable, like the players (well, except with tnt, you can blast them away).

But yeah, hope that this stuff will be fixed in close future. It makes the game much more interesting.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that's something all right, along with planet earth and a friggin computer. Where do these people find the time to do mega buildings like those? I have managed to build only a measly mansion and a little mine.

• 1 month later...
I just bought this yesterday and I'm regretting it as I don't think I have the time needed to invest in this. You need to play this a lot to get good at it I take it?

Heh, yes and no.

You really can't be "bad" player in Minecraft, your imagination is the limit in this game. But to get anything done, well, that IS going to take time and then some :facepalm:

I just bought this yesterday and I'm regretting it as I don't think I have the time needed to invest in this. You need to play this a lot to get good at it I take it?

You can lower the difficulty of the baddies, or turn them off completely to get your bearings if you need to. It's easy to turn them back on when you've built up a bit.

I got killed in a spider spawning chamber and lost a bunch of resources early in one of my games, so I did that because I didn't relish re-doing so much.