That's the last game I buy from Obsidian...

I recently got this game - I had been waiting for it for quite some time because the concept is absolutely brilliant. I was hesitant, because Obsidian's track record isn't exactly amazing... but I thought a company would get better and better. Also, there really aren't many companies so dedicated to RPG's for PC... so I wanted to support Obsidian. I never blamed Obsidian for the shortcomings of KOTOR II and still found the game brilliant.

Alpha Protocol is one of the most poorly executed games I've ever owned. Aside from the RPG elements, it's a complete FLOP as a 'shooter' experience.

I'm so severely let down by this title - it feels like it got rushed out the door half-baked which is so incredibly sad because I think it could have been phenomenal.

Either way, that's the last game I buy from Obsidian. It's no surprise the game sold so terribly and there won't be a sequel. Really a shame... but I'd be a fool to purchase another game developed by this company.

Edited by Agent X
  • Like 1

I recently got this game - I had been waiting for it for quite some time because the concept is absolutely brilliant. I was hesitant, because Obsidian's track record isn't exactly amazing... but I thought a company would get better and better. Also, there really aren't many companies so dedicated to RPG's for PC... so I wanted to support Obsidian. I never blamed Obsidian for the shortcomings of KOTOR II and still found the game brilliant.

Alpha Protocol is one of the most poorly executed games I've ever owned. Aside from the RPG elements, it's a complete FLOP as a 'shooter' experience.

I'm so severely let down by this title - it feels like it got rushed out the door half-baked which is so incredibly sad because I think it could have been phenomenal.

I think the problem is the pistols are too weak; misses should not be calculated in a game w/ literal usage of actual aiming down the sights; and some skills are too powerful (i.e. Shadow Operative and Chain Shot).

I think some re-balancing would go A LONG way w/ this game, more so than anything else.

Either way, that's the last game I buy from Obsidian. It's no surprise the game sold so terribly and there won't be a sequel. Really a shame... but I'd be a fool to purchase another game developed by this company.

Sega said they don't wanna be involved in a sequel.

Obsidian, AFAIK, still own the AP license.

So, it looks like it is Obsidian's call, if there's a sequel or not, according to Mills.

It was really douchey of sega to announce that there wouldn't be a sequel to AP since the rights don't belong to them.

EDIT: First and last neg I'm gonna drop on the publisher. Still unprofessional but I'm comfortable with this one considering how unprofessional that press release was of them.

Edited by MysterD

So, it looks like it is Obsidian's call, if there's a sequel or not, according to Mills.

Well, they would have to find a publisher first. That can be hard. And whats not to say that SEGA doesn't take some sort of bizzare legal action.

Agree with the whole rebalance thing though. Playing Alpha Protocol is kinda like playing Planescape Torment in gameplay again. Except here combat is mandatory over the entire game.

I think the problem is the pistols are too weak

You mean overpowered, right?

SMG's and Shotguns could potential fall into your "weak" category.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Shotgun + Stomp are a pretty viable way to clear a room.

This.

I didn't enjoy playing a shotgun-wielding Thorton because Critical+Stomp counts as a takedown rather than a kill. I figured if I'm knocking a guy down (usually while setting him on fire), then stomping his head in, it should count as a kill.

Not to mention it felt incredibly repetitive by the time I finished Saudi.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Either way, that's the last game I buy from Obsidian. It's no surprise the game sold so terribly and there won't be a sequel. Really a shame... but I'd be a fool to purchase another game developed by this company.[/b]

Cathartic isn't it? Bear in mind Fallout: New Vegas is just around the corner which promises all the super mutants, gambling, showgirls and ,err, cybernetic dogs (poor Dogmeat) you ever wanted in any game.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

• 2 weeks later...
Either way, that's the last game I buy from Obsidian. It's no surprise the game sold so terribly and there won't be a sequel. Really a shame... but I'd be a fool to purchase another game developed by this company.[/b]

Cathartic isn't it? Bear in mind Fallout: New Vegas is just around the corner which promises all the super mutants, gambling, showgirls and ,err, cybernetic dogs (poor Dogmeat) you ever wanted in any game.

I think Alpha Protocol was amazing. Everyone is so caught up with guns! I hope when FNV comes out people will check this title out too. I seriously don't get why people don't like AP.

I think Alpha Protocol was amazing. Everyone is so caught up with guns! I hope when FNV comes out people will check this title out too. I seriously don't get why people don't like AP.

Because it stubbornly refuses to run on some peoples's rigs. I'd love to be able to praise/complain about actual gameplay. Trouble is, the game doesn't let me play it. SEGA and Obsidian don't do anything about that problem and as far as I know haven't even acknowledged that there is a problem. Ergo, I don't even have a way of knowing if I like the game. Judging from the one time I was actually able to start the game, though, I was underwhelmed.

System Specs:

Processor Manufacturer: AMD

Processor Name / Type: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs)

Processor Core Speed: 2.5GHz

Operating System / Service Pack: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2

System RAM: 4094MB RAM

Video (GPU) Manufacturer: ATI

Video Card Model: Radeon HD 4890

Video Card Driver Version: Catalyst 10.6

Video Card onboard RAM: 1024 MB

Sound Card Manufacturer: Creative

Sound Card Model: SB X-Fi

I truly wish I could understand the disappointment with this game but alas.. I'm enjoying AP so much I'm on my third playthrough already. :brows:

For me Obsidian is one of those rare (and underappreciated) game developers that know how to create something with actual *replay value*. Even KOTOR 2, in all its bugginess, had way more replay value than the 1st KOTOR.

Can't wait to see what they did with the upcoming Fallout New Vegas! :)

it's a complete FLOP as a 'shooter' experience.

I think that part right there tells you that you were expecting the wrong thing from AP. Deus Ex is even worse as 'a shooter experience' yet look at how well the game was received by critics/fans and how well it is remembered today.

"Deus Ex (abbreviated DX[2] and pronounced /ˌdeɪ.əs ˈɛks/, DAY-əs-eks) is a cyberpunk-themed action role-playing game developed by Ion Storm Inc. and published by Eidos Interactive in 2000"

:lol:

The main reason this game isn't that great, imo, is because of the way missions work. There are NO sidequests, and most of the game takes place running down linear corridors.

I think that part right there tells you that you were expecting the wrong thing from AP. Deus Ex is even worse as 'a shooter experience' yet look at how well the game was received by critics/fans and how well it is remembered today.

"Deus Ex (abbreviated DX[2] and pronounced /ˌdeɪ.əs ˈɛks/, DAY-əs-eks) is a cyberpunk-themed action role-playing game developed by Ion Storm Inc. and published by Eidos Interactive in 2000"

:lol:

The main reason this game isn't that great, imo, is because of the way missions work. There are NO sidequests, and most of the game takes place running down linear corridors.

Does that matter? There are many gameplay elements that didn't really evolve since that time. ESPECIALLY in rpgs. I don't really see the significance.

On the second I agree but I didn't found it to be the main focus of the game.

Besides while there aren't any traditional sidequests. There are many little seprate objectives you could do though they were little. Not to mention there were some optional missions. Examples are the G22 bugs and Brayko/Surkov.

Edited by C2B

:shifty:

Does that matter? There are many gameplay elements that didn't really evolve since that time. ESPECIALLY in rpgs. I don't really see the significance.

I'd say shooting mechanics have evolved since 2000.

Evolved into what? "Point and click" into "Point, click and run"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUOpXXl_hs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w1CHff8bxM

:shifty:

Totally, the same type of game. (Though, Shooters evolved in the form of better/more realistical physics/weapons) and naturally the upcoming of third person and cover.

Anyway, in terms of rpg/Deus Ex kind of mechanics much didn't change. And AP wasn't an evolution of it sadly (which I give you right. Should have made it better). To name a better example Bloodlines was pretty much inbetween of AP and DX and uses a similiar system and shooting mechanics were just as ****ty.

Edited by C2B

Do I hear "ME2" here?

What do you think of that game game? And if you like it, why do you like it THERE.

ME1 had wide planet exploration with the MAKO, and apparently people (not me) hated that, so it got "fine-tuned" into corridor shooting, and everyone praises the crap out of it now. :shifty:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Do I hear "ME2" here?

What do you think of that game game? And if you like it, why do you like it THERE.

ME1 had wide planet exploration with the MAKO, and apparently people (not me) hated that, so it got "fine-tuned" into corridor shooting, and everyone praises the crap out of it now. :ermm:

Wide planetary exploration with almost nothing to find in it, apart from some good-looking skies. More like BG in that respect. And it wasn't the exploration part that drove me nuts, it was driving the MAKO over mountains, etc. Bleh. ME2 had a fair number of side-quests, if you went looking for them.

I would have loved more missions in AP. But for me, linear or not, what we were given worked. It was the first time in these types of games that I tried to successfully stealth my way through, and use the cover provided. I thought Obsidz did a pretty good job on levels like the airfield in Saudi, or the hotel in Taipei.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Do I hear "ME2" here?

ME1 had wide planet exploration with the MAKO, and apparently people (not me) hated that, so it got "fine-tuned" into corridor shooting, and everyone praises the crap out of it now. :ermm:

I don't like ME2.

Edited by Cogar66

I don't think that is a problem. Not every RPG has to be a free roaming role playing game like Oblivion. AP is tight, strictly storydriven action-rpg.

Edited by Zack Fair

J_C from Codexia

I truly wish I could understand the disappointment with this game but alas.. I'm enjoying AP so much I'm on my third playthrough already. >_<

For me Obsidian is one of those rare (and underappreciated) game developers that know how to create something with actual *replay value*. Even KOTOR 2, in all its bugginess, had way more replay value than the 1st KOTOR.

Can't wait to see what they did with the upcoming Fallout New Vegas! :x

Thanks for recalling that Obsidian is also behind Fallout New Vegas - I just canceled my pre-order for it