Goodbye GOG.com

taviow

Why the hell did you buy a product you knew was virtual in the first place?

You fail reading comprehension so I'll repeat... I said impulse lets your back up/install your games off line and thats the service I use. However civ5 REQUIRES you to install and use steam. Never said I use the service for anything else. Which I don't. Does not keep me from pointing out the flaw I see in it however.

Speaking of reading comprehension, maybe you should read the requirements a little more thoroughly before you buy games.

You fail reading comprehension so I'll repeat... I said impulse lets your back up/install your games off line and thats the service I use. However civ5 REQUIRES you to install and use steam. Never said I use the service for anything else. Which I don't. Does not keep me from pointing out the flaw I see in it however.

Speaking of reading comprehension, maybe you should read the requirements a little more thoroughly before you buy games.

Perhaps you need a class on remedial reading as well... When did I say 'OMFG I got home and i need to install steam?!?!?'

I was well aware of steam requirement... however does not mean I have to be happy about it.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Perhaps you need a class on remedial reading as well... When did I say 'OMFG I got home and i need to install steam?!?!?'

I was well aware of steam requirement... however does not mean I have to be happy about it.

I suggest you write an angry email to Sid Meier.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Kidnap a family member, it'll get his attention better.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hopefully, the GOG version will include support for higher resolutions.

It doesn't. It's just the vanilla game without the need for a CD. Still need tutu.

Tutu ruins the experience.

640x480 ruins the experience more. I know that's the way I played it a dozen years ago, but I just can't do it anymore. The field of view being smaller than the area my characters can see has me unconsciously rolling the mousewheel back every 20 seconds trying to zoom out.

640x480 ruins the experience more.

Agreed. I just bought and downloaded the game from GoG and it looks terrible. I made it past character creation and buying a few things at the inn in the beginning before I had to turn it off lest it destroy all fond memories I have of the game.

Agreed. I just bought and downloaded the game from GoG and it looks terrible. I made it past character creation and buying a few things at the inn in the beginning before I had to turn it off lest it destroy all fond memories I have of the game.

Can't you circumvent the rez with just the wide screen patch (and some gui hack), or is my memory really that faulty?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Can't you circumvent the rez with just the wide screen patch (and some gui hack), or is my memory really that faulty?

I gather from the previous posts that TuTu seems to work.

When I last tried to get BG1 up and running, the G3 widescreen patch was working only with the 6-CD original version of BG1+TOTSC. If you had the 3-CD "The Original Saga" publication (as I do), your only options were the BG2-conversion mods.

However, the newest update to the patch claims to have fixed this issue, making it compatible with the GOG version. Try it out and see. (explanation).

Edited by Enoch

It's isn't the small resolution that bothers me so much, it's the fact LCD screens can't display 'non-native' resolutions without turning them into blurry mush. I originally played BG1 on a 17 or 19" CRT monitor (can't remember which) and it looked just fine. In theory playing it on a bigger monitor (in 4:3 w/the black bars) might turn it a little more blurry, but probably wouldn't make it look that much more terrible, since 4:3 on widescreen 23" is only around 16-17" diagonally. But LCD's...bah.

I wish I'd kept one of the old CRT's. Maybe I can find one in a computer resale junk shop somewhere. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's isn't the small resolution that bothers me so much, it's the fact LCD screens can't display 'non-native' resolutions without turning them into blurry mush. I originally played BG1 on a 17 or 19" CRT monitor (can't remember which) and it looked just fine. In theory playing it on a bigger monitor (in 4:3 w/the black bars) might turn it a little more blurry, but probably wouldn't make it look that much more terrible, since 4:3 on widescreen 23" is only around 16-17" diagonally. But LCD's...bah.

I wish I'd kept one of the old CRT's. Maybe I can find one in a computer resale junk shop somewhere. :lol:

Believe it or not it looked just fine on my 20'' widescreen LCD.

I opened it and I was like "wtf this actually looks pretty damn fine!"

When I last tried to get BG1 up and running, the G3 widescreen patch was working only with the 6-CD original version of BG1+TOTSC. If you had the 3-CD "The Original Saga" publication (as I do), your only options were the BG2-conversion mods.

However, the newest update to the patch claims to have fixed this issue, making it compatible with the GOG version. Try it out and see. (explanation).

I actually have a DVD version of BG1. (And the original 6cd version... for Mac OS 9 :lol: )

That was more academic, as in my recollection being that tutu is not required for widescreen/higher resolutions. Don't need the extra time sink now so no plans for reinstalling at the moment. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

@taviow

Yeah, it does depend on the game & I guess the tech used vs. how cards deal with it? The sprite stuff often looks less fuzzy than older 3D, not sure why. Dungeon Keeper1 actually looks pretty decent, Diablo1 was ok in terms of blurriness but appeared grainy/pixelated...and Dungeon Siege1 (at 1024x768) was Vaseline-covered-lens blurry. I haven't actually tried BG on this monitor yet, hopefully I'll have the same luck as you. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Then disable flat panel scaling and play the little 640x480 window in the middle of the blackness. Full screen is boring anyway. I'd do this for all the games on my 24" LCD but my graphics cards just happens to be an old geforce8800 where scaling isn't supported and the workarounds don't always work. :lol:

Good thing i also have an asus eee 901, where i can play all the old games in native resolutions and they all look fine ( on a 8.9" monitor :D).

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I've tried playing a few games in a window so they're "natural" size, & that'd be ok for something like Myst, but some of us have trouble reading lots of menu/text & frenetic mouse-clicking in a tiny little space from desk/chair distance. :huh: 4:3/13" screen size is about as small as I like to go.

Looks like they've added Planescape Torment to their store

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra