Goodbye GOG.com

taviow

Maybe the 'publicity stunt' is a cover for something else.

Off the top of my head, they could be in a cash crunch. Taking everything down for a couple weeks probably saves them a pretty penny on their bandwidth/hosting costs. It is near the end of the fiscal quarter; it could very well be that they're waiting for some anticipated funding to kick in on Oct. 1.

As much as how frustrating of a tease this is, I'd have to say that this marketing stunt, whatever it might hold, has been incredibly effective. It's made everyone jump up and take notice... exactly what PR campaigns are designed to do. Granted, it's quite a jarring thing to do, but nonetheless effective.

Imagine if Steam had done this. The world would have ended. HAHA

Yeah, I don't really like this stunt. Or at least, I don't like the fact they're drawing it out so long. But I assume there's still a lot of people who've never even heard of the GoG site, so as potential marketing, it's very effective. It may alienate some customers, but then again...it may make some customers more appreciative of the site/buy more as well. Assuming, of course, that it'll still be DRM free. If it's going towards a "sometimes DRM free" model instead, that (may) change the attraction for many.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not convinced it's just a publicity stunt. I don't think they are gone for good, but I do think they are restructuring how it is done.

The twitter indicated that remaining DRM free is a complicated thing.

The Twitter said: "Sometimes it's really hard being DRM-free... hard to keep things the way they are and keep management and publishers happy :sorcerer: "

Which could be interpreted in a several ways, I think, including just a complaint that yup, it's hard & we're tired. :)

I definitely think the site interface is probably going to be different in some way...but I'm not quite convinced it means no-DRM is defunct.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As much as how frustrating of a tease this is, I'd have to say that this marketing stunt, whatever it might hold, has been incredibly effective. It's made everyone jump up and take notice... exactly what PR campaigns are designed to do. Granted, it's quite a jarring thing to do, but nonetheless effective.

Actually this is a valid concern of mine... if Value or Stardock pulls a DNF and ends up in chapter 8 (lets just say for the sake of the discussion it happens, not debating the odds of such) what happens to those of us that have bought games on the service? With impulse at least I can archive the installed games and reinstall them locally as long as I got a copy of impulse still to manage such. Steam from my understanding if the service goes down the games stop working... While I bought many games via impulse and I had to install steam for civ5 (don't get me started on that) I am very apprehensive of this model. As you have a vest interest in the company staying afloat. If it does not you just lost all those games you bought.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Actually this is a valid concern of mine... if Value or Stardock pulls a DNF and ends up in chapter 8 (lets just say for the sake of the discussion it happens, not debating the odds of such) what happens to those of us that have bought games on the service? With impulse at least I can archive the installed games and reinstall them locally as long as I got a copy of impulse still to manage such. Steam from my understanding if the service goes down the games stop working... While I bought many games via impulse and I had to install steam for civ5 (don't get me started on that) I am very apprehensive of this model. As you have a vest interest in the company staying afloat. If it does not you just lost all those games you bought.

Valve already have a system in place, should this happen with Steam.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Which is...? Not very informative nor reassuring...

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Isnt that why GoG is letting its users download everything they bought? I would assume the same would happen if Steam ever goes belly up, or at least I hope so.

Which is...? Not very informative nor reassuring...

THe CEO released a statement about it awhile ago. Something to the extent of "in case of catastrophe, Steam has a number of back up plans to make the games available."

THe CEO released a statement about it awhile ago. Something to the extent of "in case of catastrophe, Steam has a number of back up plans to make the games available."

Not exactly. Someone claimed that he wrote back in an email and said that they would likely do what you say. Oh, and,as fas as I know, the original post/email is missing so no-one can verify this.

:)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

So I watched that video with the mumbling "monks." :)

I'm going to have to agree with one of the user comments on that page: "Nothing changes for me. I still love their product, what they provide, and what they stand for. But if you're going to do theatrics, do it well or just don't bother."

...that said, despite poorly executed shut-down (whether it's a 'stunt' or not), I will still buy from them and am very glad it wasn't an actual closure like we all initially feared.

Not exactly. Someone claimed that he wrote back in an email and said that they would likely do what you say. Oh, and,as fas as I know, the original post/email is missing so no-one can verify this.

Yeah...vague statements like that I don't find very comforting. To me it sounds like "If it comes, we hope we can, but in the end, who knows." So it's a fear of mine, with things like Steam, as well. Not a huge one, but it's always in the back of my mind, making it difficult for me get on the Steam-like bandwagon.

Edited by LadyCrimson

i will forgive them if they get baldurs gate 1 AND 2, planescape torment, system shock 1, crusader no remorse and no regret (and make them work dammit i swear these are the buggiest games on earth), and some of the other games I've been asking for which i cant remember right now

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Didn't WH40k teach you anything? There is no forgiveness.

Instead of doing something nice, they went the other way spreading confusion and toying with people's emotions. While it may have worked, that is not cool in my book.

Edited by Purkake

It may not be cool, but .... while there are some things that companies could do that would make me 'quit' them, a bad PR/transition move isn't one of them. (edit:I've seen a lot of ppl on Twitter claiming they'd quit GoG over this, which I think is a bit of an over-reaction)

Edited by LadyCrimson