Goodbye GOG.com

taviow

Ah Codename 47, starts off good..then you're running around the jungle. Wonder when they'll get all the LucasArts games, if ever.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Codename 47 sucks but Blood Money was pretty good. Silent Assassin wasn't too bad either.

The problem is the trial and error nature of the gameplay. You have to fail the mission 10 times to get it 100% right if you're going for the stealth approach.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Nice.

It was a notoriously unstable game on multiple core processors, I hope the got it going right.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Multicore is fixed (heh, all it needs is something like "imagecfg thief.exe 0 0" from a DOSprompt iirc) but just about nothing else is, no widescreen/ddfix etc. I understand why as bundling what are effectively mods opens a can of worms on the support and licencing side but there are a lot of complaints about it.

I go to GoG to buy old games that work today. If they aren't actually fixing the games in any way, what am I paying them for? Might as well go the "abandonware" route then.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It is fixed. It works fine on modern hardware out of the box, er, so to speak, which is all they ever do. As I said, there's good reason for not bundling third party fixes for things like widescreen (copyright, security issues, support) and it's well outside their scope to do it themselves.

They've fixed the installer borking itself on any NT based OS if you didn't know switch-fu and the game dying on any processor with HT enabled (plus the codec issues with movies, albeit belatedly) and that's all they needed to for it to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, bought Age of Wonders (already had II and III), Septerra Core (always was curious about what it's about) and Syndicate (despite not having the expansion).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Buy one D&D game, get one free

And get ToEE free if you get any D&D game. Mind you, I guess you all have them all already.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cossacks is a very, very fun game. I sunk many an hour into Cossacks LAN in teenage years, mainly with a friend who would refuse to ever play competitively but build the most historically accurate of battle formations. He'd probably have won all the games if he didn't stop to role-play all the battle commands through in-game chat.

• 4 weeks later...

Anachronox is still a great movie. I wonder if the game will live up to it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Anachronox is great, the combat is awful though. Only game I know of that added a "fast forward" button in a patch so that you won't fall asleep...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"