Goodbye GOG.com

taviow

And for System Shock there's System Shock Portable.

Is that some kind of wrapper that allows the game to run on modern systems? Or is that a new (modded) version of the actual game?

They need to add xcom and system shock.

You can get Xcom off steam, so it's likely legality that's stopping that.

Hah. I never even realized!

Does it run OK on modern OSs.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

crud. Steam has xcom.

if I get it I'll never get any work done. :aiee:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I might have to purchase Beyond Divinity from GoG, since my old CD version still has the Starforce DRM (which Vista doesn't like) and although Larian's patch removes the DRM, it still needs to be installed first.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

at this point im mostly just waiting on system shock and then most of my old games i have been itching for will be in my itchy hands.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

crud. Steam has xcom.

if I get it I'll never get any work done. :aiee:

I bought the x-com complete (or whatever it's called) package off Gamersgate a while ago. I't came with preconfigured DosBox wrappers, enabling it to run on 64bit Windows 7. X-Com 3 is the only game to rival Jagged Alliance 2 in sheer awesomeness in its combat.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Is that some kind of wrapper that allows the game to run on modern systems? Or is that a new (modded) version of the actual game?

Wrapper basically along with some utilities for sound and the like, similar to the MoO/ XCOM DOSBox versions (all of which work fine on Windows 7/64 for me). There are also resolution increasing and key binding mods- not sure if they're integrated with it now or just compatible with it- to further enhance the experience, the version I have is around three years old.

Its legality is a bit unclear, LGS allowed downloads of the SS1 iso prior to their closure (I got it from TTLG back in 2000, before it melted their bandwidth) so it's probably OK until whoever the rights holder is sends a cease and desist, which would probably be a precursor to it being put on GOG anyway.

X-Com 3 is the only game to rival Jagged Alliance 2 in sheer awesomeness in its combat.

It's great. A highly under-appreciated game that combines a host of different gameplay types.

When you installed the xcom games from steam did you have to do any configuring to get them going ot was it just install and play?

Wrapper basically along with some utilities for sound and the like, similar to the MoO/ XCOM DOSBox versions (all of which work fine on Windows 7/64 for me). There are also resolution increasing and key binding mods- not sure if they're integrated with it now or just compatible with it- to further enhance the experience, the version I have is around three years old.

Its legality is a bit unclear, LGS allowed downloads of the SS1 iso prior to their closure (I got it from TTLG back in 2000, before it melted their bandwidth) so it's probably OK until whoever the rights holder is sends a cease and desist, which would probably be a precursor to it being put on GOG anyway.

I still have my original cd of System SHock. I just can't get it to run anymore. I could try it in DOSbox but eh I had a lot of trouble with dosbox and Daggerfall some years ago and it soured me on the whole dosbox experience.

X-Com 3 is the only game to rival Jagged Alliance 2 in sheer awesomeness in its combat.

It's great. A highly under-appreciated game that combines a host of different gameplay types.

When you installed the xcom games from steam did you have to do any configuring to get them going ot was it just install and play?

Gamersgate, not steam (I'm not a steam fan). Install. Click on desktop shortcut. Play :aiee:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Install. Click on desktop shortcut. Play :)

all right! That's what I like.

Gamersgate, not steam (I'm not a steam fan). Install. Click on desktop shortcut. Play :)

That's how all the DOSBox wrappered games on Steam work as well. Not sure if X-Com Apocalyse goes under that.

Gamersgate, not steam (I'm not a steam fan). Install. Click on desktop shortcut. Play :)

That's how all the DOSBox wrappered games on Steam work as well. Not sure if X-Com Apocalyse goes under that.

It does (as did the two Masters of Orion games) :)

i love playing dos games on steam, just click and it works! like mother f*n magic.

i wish dos games had been that easy to use back during the dos days... i remember it always took 3-4 hours of mucking with dos before i could get my games running right (could be because i was only 9 and dos was maybe a little over my head though)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I still have my original cd of System SHock. I just can't get it to run anymore. I could try it in DOSbox but eh I had a lot of trouble with dosbox and Daggerfall some years ago and it soured me on the whole dosbox experience.

You defititely should get System Shock Portable then, it's very marginally more complicated then the straight DOSbox versions of MoO and XCOM I have from GG but that's because it's more flexible. Couple of clicks and you're in and I've had no problems on either xp/32 or win7/64.

You defititely should get System Shock Portable then, it's very marginally more complicated then the straight DOSbox versions of MoO and XCOM I have from GG but that's because it's more flexible. Couple of clicks and you're in and I've had no problems on either xp/32 or win7/64.

There is also http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Provided you have a Windows 95 or 98 setup CD.

I use that to play my very old beloved Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers.

• 2 weeks later...

Knew that. i completed my set. I have all the M&Ms now even though I doubt I'll have time or the drive to play them all. But,s oemtiems, dealsa re too good to pass up. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Is there an expiration date on the vouchers one got with the TW2 pre-order? Thinking of buying Septerra Core. Also, opinions on the game?

Worth buying. Cool settings (something like 7 different planets). A bit grindy but I get the feeling that's a given with the JRPG style.

septerra core is almost a really good game (for the style), but the grindy combat kills it for me. combat is soooo slow and soooo frequent.