Goodbye GOG.com

taviow

http://www.gog.com/

Well, that is pretty sad.

Never heard of them... what did they do?

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Apparently they have legal problems

Via twitter:

Thanks for the support everyone. Hopefully everything works out for the best!

Sometimes it's really hard being DRM-free... hard to keep things the way they are and keep management and publishers happy :(

Edited by Purkake

Details plz, can't actually access the site... Also need to download the games I own and back it up.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

From the temporary site:

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,

GOG.com Team

From the temporary site:

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,

GOG.com Team

Joy... :(

There are questions as to if this is infact legit... We'll see, over the coming days and weeks. If its true, then its terrible news.

You could buy older games in a bit updated (win compatibility, higher resolution) form, and I think they did some debugging too, not sure tho. Edited by Oner

GOG stands for "Good Old Games".

They used to sell old games such as Fallout, with support for Windows Vista/7 etc.

The GOG version of Fallout was the best. Worked perfectly on my computer, and it also came with the soundtrack, manual, Fallout bible, wallpapers, artwork, avatars etc etc.

Edited by taviow

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

What? I was just looking at their games list, like, 7 hours ago!!! Nooo! I was going to buy several games soon since winter is coming but went to bed instead.

I'm seriously bummed. :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hey, one of the polish sites reports the post written two days ago by Michal Kicinski in which he says:

"Don't panic when you see announcement on GoG's site, everything will be clear on 23 September during CDProjekt's conference"

So I'm sure it's jus GoG ending it's beta stage, with assholish marketing campaign.

Edited by PoetAndMadman