APB shutdown: This what happens when you make an MMO

Kaftan Barlast

Only 79 days after it's release, online multiplayer game APB shuts down for good.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1121714p1.html

When will people learn that trying to steal a piece of blizzards pie, is like trying to wrestle a great white shark with your hands tied to your ankles. Hopefully, this is the last nail in the coffin of the MMO boom.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No.

Plenty of MMOs are successful. You do NOT need WOW numbers to be successful.

You say MMOs shoulds top being made because oen failed? But should games stop being made because a game (AP0 failed? No, of course not, don't be silly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't have anything against MMOs, South Korea is showing us how it's done every day :) making a game subscription-based - that's what kills MMOs

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That's what I always tell my students, you should all just give up now because there are already successful people out there, and there just isn't enough room left for anyone else to succeed.

A lot of my students want to work with computers, and I'm like "There is already Microsoft, Apple, and Google, there isn't any room left for more companies. There are start ups that fail all the time!"

Edited by Hurlshot

One thing that somebody smart once said is that the most successful mmo will be one that is almost nothing like WoW in any way shape or form.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That's what I always tell my students, you should all just give up now because there are already successful people out there, and there just isn't enough room left for anyone else to succeed.

A lot of my students want to work with computers, and I'm like "There is already Microsoft, Apple, and Google, there isn't any room left for more companies. There are start ups that fail all the time!"

Normally and with any other case I would agree with you, consolidation has made any new business enterprise impossible. But in the case of technology there are no such limitations some kid with a good idea can break into the scene and make Facebook. Because the market of technology and electronic entertainment shift constantly there is always room for innovation.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

APB = 100 million wasted and only thing they made right was awesome character look customation system :lol:

So true, I actually bought it aswell... *shruggs* Wasn't that expensive though.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

that's the whole point. WoW changed how developers understand "success". it used to be: wow, we have 200000 subscribers, we're a hit! and now it's: we need at least a million subscribers to break even, because we dumped 100 million dollars on this game already.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Except Sony and Turbine have a stable of successful MMO's that continue to progress. It's like saying every movie needs to pull in Titanic money.

Hell, NCsoft just released an expansion to City of Heroes, which most people have written off but still makes money.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

keep in mind, that Turbine switched from subscription to free-to-play. that's the only thing that kept DDO and LOTRO alive. they failed at attracting WoW players and making them change their attention from WoW, which is the whole point: devs should try less to take WoW's money in subscriptions, because that won't ever happen. instead they should keep trying to make the second best MMO game, which can be a substitute for WoW, whenever the servers are down, or people get tired of their guilds and raids. because there's not a lot of people who'd be willing to pay for 2 games.

Walsingham said:

DDO possibly, but LOTRO was not heading for a shutdown any time soon even before the switch to f2p.

Exactly. DDO wasn't doing good, but apparently the f2p model was super effective and rejuvenated that title. They also still run servers for Asheron's Call, believe it or not.

LotRO has been very successful, they have stated time and again that they are happy with the subscription numbers. They have been successful enough to sign new deals for the content rights and they entered into a partnership with Warner Bros. Since DDO had success, they implemented a semi-f2p model. I've kept my subscription, as the high end stuff is only available that way.

No.

Plenty of MMOs are successful. You do NOT need WOW numbers to be successful.

You say MMOs shoulds top being made because oen failed? But should games stop being made because a game (AP0 failed? No, of course not, don't be silly.

The thing is, WoW has a +90% market share and is showing no signs of losing players to others games. The other MMO's like Eve online are making money, but only about enough to cover their costs. The asian MMO's might be an exception, but they're not exactly reaping gold over there.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

like trying to wrestle a great white shark with your hands tied to your ankles.

Actually, that's what it's like making love to Shryke.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Never heard of APB :)

I go back and revisit WAR once or twice a month after it became free to play. Thats the depth of my knowledge of MMO's :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein