The Thick of It

Oblarg

So, after watching In The Loop (which was easily the funniest movie I've seen in years), I felt the need to watch the TV series off which it was based.

And I must say, why the **** aren't there any TV programs this hilarious in the US? This is absolutely superb.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

There are plenty of really brilliant comedy shows in the US. Like 30 Rock, Community and so on.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I never understood what people saw in 'Seinfeld' :rolleyes:

But then, I loved 'Finding Nemo' and a colleague that I lent the dvd to hated it. Humor seems to be a very subjective thing ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The US does make the occasional entertaining show. E.g. How I Met Your Mother, Seinfeld. Actually that may be the extent of funny American shows.

There are plenty of really brilliant comedy shows in the US. Like 30 Rock, Community and so on.

I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Arrested Development and Better Off Ted are also good. The real shame is that many of the solid new comedies are getting axed rather quickly, despite good reviews. Networks need to adjust to the new market, where many viewers are using non-traditional means to get their shows.

The Big Bang Theory to this list.

That show is made and written by the exact same guys who do "2

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Big Bang Theory is fantastic, Kaftan just has a broken sense of humor. Chuck Lorre has done work on a series of very good sitcoms. Not all of them are going to appeal to everyone, I don't really get 2 and a Half Men, but Roseanne, Dharma and Greg and Grace Under Fire are all very good uses of the sitcom format.

Bazinga.

Big Bang Theory is horribly formulaic.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Every single Chuck Lorre sitcom:

"Have you seen my shoes?"

"No."

*laughtrack*

I do find it odd that despite the BBC being basically government paid for (maybe I'm wrong?) they have a better history for shows that are satirical or critical toward government, country, and police agencies than all self supported American channels combined.

America does awesome TV, the consistency is there time and time again across all genres. I have loved Frasier, Dexter, The Wire, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Two and a Half Men, Band of Brothers and even more mainstream stuff like NCIS and The Shield.

BBC does awesome TV.... occasionally. Although The Thick of It isn't really for me it is critically acclaimed, but stuff like this comes across once in a while. Not all the time. A lot of BBC comedy is dreck.

I'd get rid of the BBC tomorrow, but that's an entirely different argument and my POV isn't mainstream in the UK.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I do find it odd that despite the BBC being basically government paid for (maybe I'm wrong?) they have a better history for shows that are satirical or critical toward government, country, and police agencies than all self supported American channels combined.

Are ye daft, man?! The very reason the BBC can do political satire and so on is because they're goverment funded and thus independant. They dont have to go out of their way to make sure their stuff isnt offensive to the companies paying for commercials or the owner of the network.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

Most British humor, for me, is very hit & miss. Even Monty Python, who in general I love, their actual series rarely made me LOL. It was more their comedy writing that I found hysterical - rather than the visualization. Fawlty Towers & Are You Being Served made me chuckle now & then too.

America has made some good sitcoms for their prospective eras, but I do agree w/Kaftan that at least in a general sense, sitcoms aren't usually very good (even when they don't have a laugh track). It's pretty rare that I watch one with any regularity. It's kinda weird actually, because I love a lot of stand-up comedy but many supposedly 'funny' shows make me yawn ... including 30Rock/The Office.

I love Big Bang Theory tho, since I can relate to so many of the things it affectionately satirizes. And during the era, Family Ties often made me giggle. Probably wouldn't now as much, but at the time... :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Are ye daft, man?! The very reason the BBC can do political satire and so on is because they're goverment funded and thus independant. They dont have to go out of their way to make sure their stuff isnt offensive to the companies paying for commercials or the owner of the network.

This.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Most British humor, for me, is very hit & miss. Even Monty Python, who in general I love, their actual series rarely made me LOL. It was more their comedy writing that I found hysterical - rather than the visualization. Fawlty Towers & Are You Being Served made me chuckle now & then too.

You're a sick bastard-ess. The truth is that, contrary to popular opinion, every single monty python sketch is great. They range from great to so enourmously genial that it makes your pants hurt. Like this sketch

that most people just dont get.

Do you mean there are too many shows about theoretical physicists?

No, I mean it's a generic sitcom like any other, except the lead characters are geeks.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: