SW:TOR

Oblarg

Though, if you read through their website
Whose?

The SW:TOR website. BioWare's.

I always thought the "Revan was attacking the Republic to make it stronger to fight against the True Sith" angle was utter tosh.

It certainly makes Revan a more interesting character than a simple "war made him evil, so he attacked the republic" or the newly revised "he ran into some superbadguys after the war who turned him evil." Especially if you take into account that Revan never purely limited himself to Jedi ideals and believed strongly in "strength through conflict."

If Revan's motives were purely evil, he wouldn't have left all the infrastructure intact on planets he conquered - even GOTO notes that Revan's actions indicate that he wasn't willing to use the Star Forge forever. That wouldn't be a problem for him if he had completely fallen. It wasn't a problem for Malak.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

He doesn't need to be an interesting character, though. He's a player avatar.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

He doesn't need to be an interesting character, though. He's a player avatar.

This type of thinking leads to bad games.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

That's a joke, right? I'd think that retconning player decisions and lipservice player agency would be greater threats. That being the threat of characterizing player characters in RPGs. Since it defines the character as something other than what the player chooses.

The PC of an RPG being a personalized construct is hardly the building block of bad.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I always thought the "Revan was attacking the Republic to make it stronger to fight against the True Sith" angle was utter tosh.
For one, we never learn Revan's MO while he led the sith (I didn't at least), so it can fly.

OTOH, he tried to kill his rivals at Malachor.

Still, yeah, as nice as it sounds, it's pretty bull.

"Hm, how could we beat the sith? ..I know! Let's kill our best generals, pretend we're all sih then attack the Republic! I'm soo brilliant, if I may say so myself."

It sounds ridiculous, but filtered through Kreia's (and, by extension, her student Revan's) philosophy about a society only being able to know itself and gain strength and focus through conflict, it sort of works. (Really, said philosophy is best understood as an in-game cover for standard RPG character progression, but if you buy that Kreia and presumably Revan actually believed it, Rev's plan almost makes sense.)

Though, if you read through their website
Whose?

The SW:TOR website. BioWare's.

Hm, can't find it. Mentioned in the timeline trailers?

Nah, it was mentioned in the old setting descriptions, and was the only think back when the site first opened that really annoyed me. Not sure if it's around anymore.

It sounds ridiculous, but filtered through Kreia's (and, by extension, her student Revan's) philosophy about a society only being able to know itself and gain strength and focus through conflict, it sort of works. (Really, said philosophy is best understood as an in-game cover for standard RPG character progression, but if you buy that Kreia and presumably Revan actually believed it, Rev's plan almost makes sense.)
Problem is, he, the great hero, was in a great position deliver a ****load of constructive criticism.

Still, he probably though they wouldn't listen to him, okay.

And then he blew up the Exile to..keep them from dividing his forces when he tries to win over his army in attacking the Republic, I guess? Then somehow convinced them that getting their loved ones killed is a good idea. Sometime during all this Malak went ahead and fell.

I guess this would've made more sense if not two different companies would've written the story. Then again Obs would've written something different from the get-go I guess.

Meh, why do I care, I don't even like Star Wars.

Nah, it was mentioned in the old setting descriptions, and was the only think back when the site first opened that really annoyed me. Not sure if it's around anymore.
Not around then. Edited by Oner

That's a joke, right? I'd think that retconning player decisions and lipservice player agency would be greater threats. That being the threat of characterizing player characters in RPGs. Since it defines the character as something other than what the player chooses.

The PC of an RPG being a personalized construct is hardly the building block of bad.

He's not the player avatar of the entire series, and just because segment of his backstory could have gone multiple ways is not a reason to make the rest of his backstory dull and insipid. It's already ****ed up for anyone who had a dark side Revan, anyway.

Apparantly Revan still found time to impregnate Bastila before going awol: click

Something piqued my interest in that bio and if someone could 'splain I would appreciate it:

...she rediscovered the long-lost world of Tython and helped found a new Jedi Temple there to replace the one destroyed on Coruscant.

How did an entire planets location become "lost" in the first place?

If the hyperspace coordinates get lost, the planet's location is lost. IIRC only the Jedi Order knew its location, it wasn't mentioned in the Galactic database.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

...she rediscovered the long-lost world of Tython and helped found a new Jedi Temple there to replace the one destroyed on Coruscant.

Where the Force was first discovered.

Mystical scholars gathered on the harsh and mysterious world of Tython millennia ago to begin the first studies of the Force, but controversy among the scholars

If the hyperspace coordinates get lost, the planet's location is lost. IIRC only the Jedi Order knew its location, it wasn't mentioned in the Galactic database.

Where the Force was first discovered.

Mystical scholars gathered on the harsh and mysterious world of Tython millennia ago to begin the first studies of the Force, but controversy among the scholars

That bio says she's a descendant of Bastilla.. nothing about whether it's also Revan... She could have ended up fooling around wih someone else after Revan disapeared... :lol:

Technically "Revan" was a whole nother person, so having his backstory fleshes out that character. The player merely controlled the amnesiac figure.... Even the grand reveal only gave fragmentary memories of being Revan.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

One of the key features of the Star Wars setting is lost knowledge. Fighting techniques get lost, entire races get lost, star systems get lost... Sith basically lose and rediscover information about something all the time. Jedi try to keep archives but those places get destroyed all the time. Then there's that lovecraftian "knowledge corrupts" thing going on and it makes sure that Jedi can't know all the secrets. Sith could know all but it's in their core philosophy that they don't share that knowledge.

It's like our own dark ages. Some settings like Warhammer 40k use the same trope.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.