Mana based or Cooldown?

Hi all. Seems like the forum is a little quiet. Really not that much fans for Dungeon Siege series? Or.. are many deterred and Obsidian made a bad reputation for themselves due to Alpha Protocol?

Anyway.. i'm not sure if this has been discussed or talked about so i'm not sure how's the character skills/powers/abilities being handled in DS3. Are they going for a mana based system?

Or how how bout a cooldown system? I definitely hope it will be NOT like D&D that based on number of castings per day.

I like to see a cooldown system but i don't want it like Sacred because you are limited by basically casting/spamming 1 or 2 combat arts for entire game and all difficulties for same character. I would like to play with ALOT of skills/abilities/powers and i leave it up to developer's creativity to balance it out. Here's my idea:

1. Each skill/ability/power has cooldown. And these skill/ability/power must be nice to see and satisfying to unleash wreaking havoc causing blood explosion all around ya :thumbsup:

2. Depend on the skill or ability, some can be tweaked so that it is spammable and some has long cooldown like 30secs or 60secs so making it hard to be spammed and force players to use it strategically and tactically during a said battle.

3. I would like to suggest a combo feature where players could combine different skills/abilities/powers into one combo. Hence when a combo was selected, the player could basically chain multiple moves for eg. iron palm, shattering blow, critical strike unleashing them one after another on each Right-Clicked.

4. Spells should use a Mana system or could use the same cooldown feature as above.

Feel free to discuss about my ideas!

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Archaven

Mana based only worked fine before in the DS series. I would like to try out both systems though. I played WoW, and I'm not a much fan of the cooldown system. It can add some more depth yes, but mostly, with a certain rotation, you can bash almost every enemy. Maybe a nice combination of both would work well.

The forum is dying indeed. But most ppl posting here were no DS fans anyway. The DS fanbase died years ago, apart from a few hardcore fans like me, I hope Obsidian will bring it back.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

The forum is dying indeed. But most ppl posting here were no DS fans anyway. The DS fanbase died years ago, apart from a few hardcore fans like me, I hope Obsidian will bring it back.

Isn't that bit of an exaggeration? It's not like we know much about the game, nor has there been any new info relesed lately to talk about. AP forums were quite quiet as well before the media push started, not to mention all the talk after the game was out.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Mana based only worked fine before in the DS series. I would like to try out both systems though. I played WoW, and I'm not a much fan of the cooldown system. It can add some more depth yes, but mostly, with a certain rotation, you can bash almost every enemy. Maybe a nice combination of both would work well.

Forum is "dead" until we have more info to talk about.

True true, I didn't think about it that way. I was thinking of opening a new topic to make it a bit more active, but guess what, I couldn't think of anything to post about.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

You could always make a thread wherein you inform the devs that it's not proper DS3 if it's not made according to your specific demands.

I think we already have enough of those topics.

- DS has packmules!

I'm actually very interested in this, but what is there to discuss? We need more news, I'll be all over this when we learn more.

Same here. I check the boards everyday but nothing to post about atm. Probably lots more like us just waiting for more news to drop.

I did ask in another thrread if there was couch co-op for the consoles but no answer. Anyone know?

I'm actually very interested in this, but what is there to discuss? We need more news, I'll be all over this when we learn more.

Same here. I check the boards everyday but nothing to post about atm. Probably lots more like us just waiting for more news to drop.

I did ask in another thrread if there was couch co-op for the consoles but no answer. Anyone know?

I'm not 100% sure, but I really hope there is. I love playing these kinds of games with my brother, and I rarely play online. In the debut trailer, if you look at the fighting during 00:41, you can see two players on screen, but this could be online.

Every presentation has been obviously done offline and had drop-in, drop-out co-op. I would be very surprised if the game shipped without offline co-op.

As for mana based or cooldowns, anything is ok as long as you don't have those 'go back to town to buy 120 more potions for the next level of the dungeon' moments.

Hi all. Seems like the forum is a little quiet. Really not that much fans for Dungeon Siege series? Or.. are many deterred and Obsidian made a bad reputation for themselves due to Alpha Protocol?

I guess most of the people who are fans of Obsidian are not also DS fans.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

As for mana based or cooldowns, anything is ok as long as you don't have those 'go back to town to buy 120 more potions for the next level of the dungeon' moments.

That's my opinion as well. I don't mind the 'new level=buy more pots' routine that much, but it does get old, especially if they take up lots of room in inventory.

It'll be interesting to see how Diablo3's 'health globe' thing will work out. It sounds good in theory but we shall see.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts