Teen Banned from US

Raithe

UK teen banned from US travel for calling Obama names in an email...

So for being rude and generally uncivil I can understand the need for a slapdown... and if he was actually "threatening" I could see why they might decide to follow up and check out the emailee to be on the safe side.

But for calling Obama names in a drunken email, the law enforcement agencies in America and the UK were stirred into action..and he's been banned for life of ever travelling to the US? Does seem a little overkill.

I always thought the american love of free speech technically included the right to call someone names? :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I call this awesome. I'm sick of teens thinking they're cool calling people names online. They should have actually tomahawked his house. Just to prove the point.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I call this awesome. I'm sick of teens thinking they're cool calling people names online. They should have actually tomahawked his house. Just to prove the point.

:)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Kaftan,

I saw you trolling a forum a week ago, and I didnt think it was that funny so Im having you banned from the U.S. I also sent Freddie Reinfeld a letter, so expect to be thrown out of Sweden sometime next week. I hear Uganda is lovely this time of year ha ha.

/B.O

DAMNIT! :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Kaftan,

I saw you trolling a forum a week ago, and I didnt think it was that funny so Im having you banned from the U.S. I also sent Freddie Reinfeld a letter, so expect to be thrown out of Sweden sometime next week. I hear Uganda is lovely this time of year ha ha.

/B.O

DAMNIT! :no:

I have some space in the basement. You can borrow my Xbox as well as i do not play it at the moment. "Sveriges sak

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Kaftan,

/B.O

DAMNIT! :no:

I have some space in the basement. You can borrow my Xbox as well as i do not play it at the moment. "Sveriges sak

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

A Bedfordshire Police spokesman said: "The individual sent an email to the White House full of abusive and threatening language.
I don't think they'd ban him for insults, but if the police is right that there were threats, they would almost have to ban him, they take this kind of thing very seriously here. If it was a US resident, it's almost certain he'd be investigated.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The kid says he doesn't know what he said (which he should, most systems I've seen save copies of outgoing mail). The White House isn't going to release it. It simply could be anything.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The white house must gets thousands of these emails every day, how come they singled out this guy for punishment?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The white house must gets thousands of these emails every day, how come they singled out this guy for punishment?

You don't know what "these emails" are. If it was threatening violence, then that guy's not being singled out at all. The only singling out if so is by the media.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Wait, there are repercussions for doing something stupid online? Shocking!

It is a privilege to enter another country that you are not a resident of, not a right.

First of all, the internet is designed from the ground up as a special place that is secluded from reality. Information wants to be free, and users want to be free of consequences of their virtual actions. It should take more than a few mouseclicks before you're banned for life from an entire country.

And free travel across borders is kind of a fundamental democratic schtick. Its what the EU is all about for example

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

Sending abusive emails is not the freedom of information, Kaft. Any more than those disgusting photos your mom keeps sending me.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Good to know.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

His freedom of speech has not been affected.

Yes it has; cursing Obama got him kicked out.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Free speech doesn't always mean free from some repercussions of expressing yourself in said speech. (You're free to tell some giant, aggressive, drunk bar patron that his mama is fat, but I wouldn't recommend it. :thumbsup: )

Not that this was "speech" as such, it was private(?) email communication.

Also, he's still free to go on the internet or talk to the press and express himself about the injustice of it all, all he wants, if he wants to. eg, freedom to say what he wants is not impeded.

But I'd tend to agree that this banishment won't really last that long, unless it's discovered he does have 300 rifles and targets with Obama's face on them in his bedroom or something.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

*shrug* Threatening the president is not covered by freedom of speech. Trust me. Besides which, Obama has had more death threats in two years than any other president has had in an entire term... or so I've heard... so the Secret Service tends to be a bit testy about them. This kid wasn't singled out. He was just proud enough of his actions to contact the media and hit the front page. Most folks who do this kind of thing end up in an interogation room, or in jail, and they aren't looking for publicity afterward.