What you did today

Gorth

Turned 25 this week. Listening to "Yes Man" the audiobook version (Different to and better than the film imho) by Danny Wallace. Also wondering if something I said to my aunt over the phone earlier was misunderstood and I need to apologize, or whether it wasn't misunderstood and apologizing would just be really weird.

Guest The Architect

Happy belated birthday, Serrano.

The AFL grand final replay starts soon. Going to watch it. Not actually going to the game, though, it's in Melbourne.

After that, I have to get this critical evaluation on an experimental paper by Henry E. Adams, Lester W. Wright, and Bethany A. Lohr in 1996 on the association between homophobia and latent homosexuality completed by Tuesday, but I'm struggling with the body section because while I have my opinions about the papers strengths and weaknesses, it's hard finding evidence to support them. For example, it's clear that the Index of Homophobia is a more accurate measurement of homonegativism, not homophobia, but I can't find any articles which discuss this.

Edited by The Architect

Handed in my Master's thesis.

Think it's pretty good. Of course, an MA is a depressing mid-way point where you do pretty good work but nobody's likely to bother reading it.

Think it's pretty good. Of course, an MA is a depressing mid-way point where you do pretty good work but nobody's likely to bother reading it.

Yeah, and in ~10 years you'll wince at something you've written now or in the next few years. Might not take that long, I'm 4 years from my master's thesis (which I received quite good marks for, too) and it's really quite painful to look at in places. ;)

Congrats on completing that ordeal, though! No matter what you choose to do later on, nobody's going to take that away from you. (I'm not sure why I keep telling that to people, but I found the thought really comforting back in the day. Still do when struggling for the next degree)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Watching the last Boston ballgame of the season, which always makes me a little sad. :wub:

And...Go Giants!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Depends how you write it! :lol::wub:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Eating some awesome lentil soup I made.

Based it mostly on the spicy variant of the lentil soup in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (the best generalist cookbook out there). Simmered about 6 cups of stock (the "Kitchen Basics" brand is the best of the pre-made stocks) with a cup of lentils, diced carrot, diced celery, and a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Meanwhile, I cut 2 strips of bacon into small bits, cooked them in a pan, removed the meat, cooked a diced onion in the bacon fat (plus a little olive oil), and added some garlic. When that was cooked, added about a cup of diced tomato, some cumin, some ground chipotle, some ground ginger, some curry powder, the bacon bits I had previously removed, and a fistful of chopped fresh parsley. Once the lentils were tender, I added the contents of the pan to the stock, tasted for seasoning, and removed the thyme sprigs. Delicious.

The opening night of this year's haunted house was last night. Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Well, it will go to 5-6 conferences, and I think I have a fair shot at getting some of it published, so maybe it will see light of day in some way, yes.

Actually, a good marketing trick will be to upload the full work somewhere, get a tinyurl, then have that link on every page of my ppt slide in conferences. Yesss....

Refreshing my old history lessons a bit, reading up on some of the major engagements in WWII (mostly the 3 largest ones). After that, probably time for a refresher of the pre-republic Roman era :huh:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, it will go to 5-6 conferences, and I think I have a fair shot at getting some of it published, so maybe it will see light of day in some way, yes.

Actually, a good marketing trick will be to upload the full work somewhere, get a tinyurl, then have that link on every page of my ppt slide in conferences. Yesss....

I demand the opportunity to read it. Then at least one person will have, and you can die easy, old hoss.

I should probably go eat breakfast. Hunger makes me a little ...disparate.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Instead of working, looking up books to read. Well trying to read Infantry Attacks by Rommel right now, but figure a good fiction book will also do well to have on the go.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What'd you get it in Tig?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Instead of working, looking up books to read. Well trying to read Infantry Attacks by Rommel right now, but figure a good fiction book will also do well to have on the go.

Ach it's not so bad. I love the bit on the Italian front when he cons a bunch of the enemy into surrendering. Although nothing compared with Otto Skorzeny's story. For a book about an SS man, it didn't half set me laughing.

-Elwood Blues

Ach it's not so bad. I love the bit on the Italian front when he cons a bunch of the enemy into surrendering. Although nothing compared with Otto Skorzeny's story. For a book about an SS man, it didn't half set me laughing.

Oh it's not bad at all, but I'm in need of a fiction book to read anyway. Interesting writing style too, telling a story and then notes on what he learned from it. His notion of digging in if you're hanging around in an area for more than 10 minutes seems pretty obvious nowadays with hindsight, likewise the "don't bunch up in an open field" during an artillery strike.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh it's not bad at all, but I'm in need of a fiction book to read anyway. Interesting writing style too, telling a story and then notes on what he learned from it. His notion of digging in if you're hanging around in an area for more than 10 minutes seems pretty obvious nowadays with hindsight, likewise the "don't bunch up in an open field" during an artillery strike.

What's perhaps more interesting is teh way he uses his MGs to fix a trench line then send his men in round the flanks. I've often wondered if that was just the benefit of hindsight.

-Elwood Blues

I'm up to So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish in my ongoing reread of Hitchhiker's. This is where Adams started to get serious.

You spend all of last book thinking that Arthur's got a thing for Trillian since he stalks her around that party, but she basically ignores him. This book comes along, completely ignores that line of thought, then there's the next one. I know that them having a love plot is part of the movie, but... ADAMS!

I can't wait to read Colfer's installment.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Found out I'm in a class action suit against ye olde gamestop and am eligible to earn a pretty large chunk of cash. Gamestop could loose up to 4.7 million dollars to the suit plus the overhead.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Your cut of that would be what, $5?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

about 725$.

Also it looks like I lost almost that exact amount of books, games, movies and other malarky in the US mail. *twitch*

Hopefully the guy who sent it (my dad) will actually take some responsability for his screw up and give me SOME cash (He sent it at a rate that doesn't track your shipment or move fast at all, meaning we have 0 way to know where it is beyond "it's between here and there!" and it's well past over due.

Your cut of that would be what, $5?

Heh....it could be a little more, but yeah....if it's a general type suit (or whatever they call it) you don't usually get much from it because there are soooo many people involved. I get a lot of notices in the mail re:such mass suits...I always toss them in the trash.

But maybe Calax's suit is something a bit different. Edit:$700+ isn't too bad. Usually it's more like $20-30. heheh

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, my tenure at the place basically is for the entire time that they have as being eligable for so I am one of the highest earners out of the plantiffs

What'd you get it in Tig?

Media Studies, scroll down here. However that is a thoroughly despicable photo, I don't know what they're thinking taking them when it's 9am and you're presenting at a conference. :)

Wals I'll PM you a copy or somesuch soon.