Please help me learn Chemistry

Humodour

Hi guys.

So I've given up on uni for a while and just received a promotion at my university IT department from student casual to full-time contract for 2 years. It pays $47,000 per year or $31 an hour. Good money for somebody with no qualifications whatsoever.

But the thing is I was planning to leave this town and move to the city (Canberra or Melbourne) in 2012 and study science (either organic chemistry or molecular biology), with about $20,000 or so in savings. That's obviously on hold but I dread spending the next 2 years doing IT helpdesk work of a day and wasting away on video games of a night. I want something to keep my mind active and I figure it may as well be relevant to what I plan to do after this contract.

So I got a bright idea to dig up my old science textbooks I bought but barely used and teach myself as much chemistry as I can deal with over the next 2 years.

To that end, does anybody know of, like, some subject material or lecture notes or open courseware type stuff for chemistry, materials science, nanotechnology or similar?

I'm thinking the kind of stuff found here: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistry/

But MIT's stuff is sporadic. It's great when it exists, but it doesn't always exist. C.f. their first organic chemistry subject's lecture notes are half-complete, while the second one has full notes.

I also wouldn't mind things like exercises or assignments with solutions.

Cheers!

Edited by Krezack

Amazon has lots of self paced interative PC courses, most are more for high school level, I don't know how much help that would be for you. I'd suggest ChemTutor, I remember reading about it and I believe it is college level.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You know, I have this hazy recollection of ChemTutor being pretty decent and professional, too. A quick web search indicates it might be able to help me with stoichiometry, and if so, it's probably worth it because for a maths nerds stoichiometry is strangely something I struggled with in high school. Cheers for the idea!

A Google search also turned up this seemingly unrelated chemistry tutorial website, which looks useful: http://www.chemtutor.com/ :)

Edited by Krezack

You might consider a particle physics text book (university level), as the two subjects cross over each other quite a bit when it comes to electron shell configurations.

I can't offer you any university level advice, but a-level chemistry required a solid understanding between the various measuring terms, moles, molar mass, relative molar mass - the list goes on and can get confusing between all the similiar terms.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Check which books the university you're going to study at uses, buy those, and do your studies alone. I'm not sure if that is a good idea if you're going to study chemistry, but it works perfectly if you're studying physics and maths.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I admire your mental vigour. I keep meaning to dust off my maths.

I'm not going to now. I'm just saying...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why not learn some proper life skills, like how to navigate a wine list and also how to cook properly. Where you live is a wine and foodie heaven in terms of produce. And let's be honest, the ladies love a man who can cook... but chemistry? Unless the chick is strange and digs crystal meth labs, I suppose.

Cookery is full of science, I didn't give a fig about physics or chemistry until I started cooking properly!

sonsofgygax.JPG

Why not learn some proper life skills, like how to navigate a wine list and also how to cook properly. Where you live is a wine and foodie heaven in terms of produce. And let's be honest, the ladies love a man who can cook... but chemistry? Unless the chick is strange and digs crystal meth labs, I suppose.

Cookery is full of science, I didn't give a fig about physics or chemistry until I started cooking properly!

Did you know that chemistry began in the kitchen? :thumbsup:

Maybe chemistry will help his cooking.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This is sage advice, however your logical fallacy is the supposition that chemistry and fine wine are mutually exclusive.

I believe the tradition around these parts is to pump them full of cheap grog and then have your way with them. None of this 'art' rubbish is involved.

Gastronomy is considered a fine art ;)

Proper knowledge of cuisine and the proper way to serve them. This is high class of course but no reason why you shouldn't treat yourself to the finer things in life, or at least serve your cheap grog the proper way.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

another college dropout. so sad.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In case anybody is interested in learning things online themselves, my good friend Bill Gates directed me to this nifty emporium of YouTube lectures and tutorials for maths, physics, biology, economics, you name it: http://www.khanacademy.org/

another college dropout. so sad.

HA! Good Fun!

Who?

Indeed. I believe Gromnir is in one of his 'bitter old man' moods and trying to attack my intelligence.

I do not understand where he got the idea, though. My original post was pretty clear in stating my intention: work for a year on $47,000 whilst studying in my down-time, then return to university to study a degree more to my liking (that is: chemistry instead of IT).

*sigh*

regardless o' your intention to return, you is a drop-out. many folks intend to return to university and never do. for the moment you is a drop-out... and that got nothing to do with you being a bucket-head.

HA! Good Fun!

btw, is loads o' drop-outs who has gone on to be extreme successful, so don't feels so bad/sensitive.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*sigh*

regardless o' your intention to return, you is a drop-out. many folks intend to return to university and never do. for the moment you is a drop-out... and that got nothing to do with you being a bucket-head.

HA! Good Fun!

btw, is loads o' drop-outs who has gone on to be extreme successful, so don't feels so bad/sensitive.

Thanks for this little gem of irrelevance Gromnir. Did you have anything of value to add to this thread such as links to chemistry tutorials or text suggestions?

*sigh*

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks for this little gem of irrelevance Gromnir. Did you have anything of value to add to this thread such as links to chemistry tutorials or text suggestions?

linky

there... something o' value & relevant to the thread.

as a person who has hired more than a handful o' employees, am gonna inform you that a major reason for choosing college grads has got 0 to do with what the prospect learned in school. the degree is proof that an individual can gut it out for four years and finish their education. is nothing wrong with taking time off from school, but every month you is away from school the harder it will be to return. don't put off too long or you is gonna wonder where time went, and you is gonna be stuck with a crappy 40k a year job when you is in your thirties and forties. til you go back to school, you is a drop-out.

HA! Good Fun!

• 3 weeks later...
*sigh*

HA! Good Fun!

linky

there... something o' value & relevant to the thread.

as a person who has hired more than a handful o' employees, am gonna inform you that a major reason for choosing college grads has got 0 to do with what the prospect learned in school. the degree is proof that an individual can gut it out for four years and finish their education. is nothing wrong with taking time off from school, but every month you is away from school the harder it will be to return. don't put off too long or you is gonna wonder where time went, and you is gonna be stuck with a crappy 40k a year job when you is in your thirties and forties. til you go back to school, you is a drop-out.

HA! Good Fun!

4-year degree isn't what it used to be, Grommy.

However, I think it is still very good. Uni opens horizons, tests limits, and reforms the willing mind. Try to finish your degree as soon as possible, Krezack. When we're young, we're often impatient and easily distracted. Time matters more and more as we get older.

Being stuck with a 40K year job or not is not a function of education, but one of opportunities, intelligence, and luck. Education of course can influence the other three. Don't settle for what you have now, but what's possible tomorrow.

Oh man, you and Gromnir sound like my boss. She was like "If you leave uni you'll never go back and you'll be stuck in a dead-end job like me."

That's not how I work. Being content in a dead-end job is not and never will be me. But it's good to have people reminding me of that, so thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

How's the study going, though?

EDIT:

If it makes you feel any better Raithe has promised to teach me how to program in C#. You know, if you ever feel stupid at what you're doing chemistry just imagine me looking like an ostrich trying to swallow a piano.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.