My concerns on DS3

Mr. Chapman, you gave us enough info to fill in for a gamescom preview. You're so awesome, you just peeked Matt Rorie in my appreciation! :p

So, from what I gather, the "auto-aim" feature works more like a "pathfinding" option, for those that want to play the game in the isometric view on consoles, like correcting our course towards the nearest target, but it will also work as a sort of targeting mode for using the "vanity"/over the shoulder, viewpoint, am I correct? However, will a gamepad shoulder button be mapped for targeting the next nearest enemy? Like, what happens if we are surrounded by enemies and the auto-target system keeps us focused on a certain mob? Or does simply tilting the analog stick towards a different direction automatically change our target? How hard or easy will it be to target a specific mob out of the bunch? If I recall, games like Bayoneta and DMC both had that feature. All in all, sounds like the standard adaptation of KB&M controls for the gamepad capabilities. Honestly, it doesn't sound all that bad to me.

Are you aiming for a more arcade-y action feel for DSIII? At least for the console counterparts? And if you do, would you say it's more complicated, like the aforementioned games, or something more akin to Dynasty Warriors? If not, how would you describe it? Most importantly, are you even allowed to discuss the battle system this in depth?

For the PC, as I understand, we will have the LMB for moving, targeting and the standard attack, RMB probably for rotating the camera, unless you've mapped a different function to it that we've not established yet, the mouse wheel for circling through the combat styles (one handed, two handed etc.) and the 1-0 hotkeys for special abilities. So pretty much what someone would expect from a hack'n'slash RPG on the PC. Am I correct?

I'll be honest, the reason I avoid going into this level of detail is not just that I'm not supposed to, but also that this stuff is so fluid in pre-alpha development that anything I tell you will be out of date by the time you actually get to play it.

Suffice to say, we'll try to make both our console and PC versions play like an awesome ARPG. We are putting more of a focus on the action itself than in many other ARPGs, so the combat may feel a bit more "action-ey" than, say, DS1 or 2. Which is not to say that it won't be tactical, but the tactics will be grounded more in action gameplay - for instance, you do get tactically rewarded for swapping between stances based on the makeup of each encounter, or for tactically using your abilities to their greatest effect. But at its heart we've focused the game on fun, deep, action RPG combat.

It's hard to say where we fall in the DMC->Dynasty Warriors spectrum. I think we're actually on a slightly different path, because we are a lot deeper in terms of ability and stat customization than either game, really, and we have a bigger emphasis on tactical ability/stance selection and a smaller emphasis on reflexes and timing gameplay than games like DMC and Dynasty Warriors. So, I guess my hope is that DSIII will feel like it's on a different spectrum, even though it's got a few similarities to those games.

Also, if DS3 was a fruit, which fruit would it be?

A melon obviously.

Imposing looks with lots of red inside?

I leave the interpretation to you my young padawans.

Don't disappoint me.

Especially you Nathaniel. :shifty:

I think it largely depends on what kind of melon we are, doesn't it?

It sounds like the combat will be a mix of Divinity 2 & Demon Stone. In that case, I hope there will be a possibility to fix the camera in over-the-shoulder mode.

I played Demon Stone on PC not too long ago, and it was nearly unplayable because the camera was all over the place, not to mention the need to switch to different characters all the time because they couldn't fight on their own for ten seconds without getting killed.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I'll be honest, the reason I avoid going into this level of detail is not just that I'm not supposed to, but also that this stuff is so fluid in pre-alpha development that anything I tell you will be out of date by the time you actually get to play it.

Suffice to say, we'll try to make both our console and PC versions play like an awesome ARPG. We are putting more of a focus on the action itself than in many other ARPGs, so the combat may feel a bit more "action-ey" than, say, DS1 or 2. Which is not to say that it won't be tactical, but the tactics will be grounded more in action gameplay - for instance, you do get tactically rewarded for swapping between stances based on the makeup of each encounter, or for tactically using your abilities to their greatest effect. But at its heart we've focused the game on fun, deep, action RPG combat.

It's hard to say where we fall in the DMC->Dynasty Warriors spectrum. I think we're actually on a slightly different path, because we are a lot deeper in terms of ability and stat customization than either game, really, and we have a bigger emphasis on tactical ability/stance selection and a smaller emphasis on reflexes and timing gameplay than games like DMC and Dynasty Warriors. So, I guess my hope is that DSIII will feel like it's on a different spectrum, even though it's got a few similarities to those games.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions =) I have nothing more to ask, except this; do you prefer playing with the gamepad or KB&M?

Seriously, that's such a good answer that it's a shame it's not going on a magazine or an article on a video game site =(

We use essentially the same auto-targetting system as Ninja Gaiden 2 (the 3D one, not the NES one). I don't think anyone would consider that game dumbed down :)

You had me at Ninja Gaiden 2 :D Loved that game. Also i think a sorta (assist system) is fine for consoles. We don't have the pinpoint precision as a mouse pointer in our favor.

Edited by rc deaths agent