My concerns on DS3

I have read an updated impression on gamespot regarding the gameplay that was showned at Gamescom. Here's an excerpt from the impression:

We watched Obsidian play the game as a Guardian class character. The developer was able to adapt the character's stance to wield one or two swords at a time, with the emphasis on being a support character to the other player. The combat seemed straightforward enough--the game would auto-target enemies so that the guardian could perform a blade dash on multiple targets. There are three levels of more powerful special attacks too, including a spectacular "fall from heaven" move where your character rises into the sky and crashes down to earth destroying anything in the vicinity.

Honestly if the gameplay is only about me issuing attack and the player character will auto target nearest enemies without me even selecting which enemy/monster i want to hack n slash, seriously this will be a dumped down action hack n slash game. I hope i'm mistaken on what i'm reading though.

Edited by Archaven

There's nothing wrong with brainless button mashers, as long as the gameplay is good and the class/skill system varied.

I don't think that auto-targetting inherently makes a game a brainless button masher. This is not an FPS, the core gameplay is not aiming, auto-aim has literally no relevance to the depth of the game.

There's nothing wrong with brainless button mashers, as long as the gameplay is good and the class/skill system varied.

I don't think that auto-targetting inherently makes a game a brainless button masher. This is not an FPS, the core gameplay is not aiming, auto-aim has literally no relevance to the depth of the game.

Isn

Isn

So, this will be a brainless button-masher then?

Color me unimpressed.

Did you ever spent 10 minutes with Devil May Cry or similiar gerne like Bayonetta? Because as overdriven as they are these games have probably the deepest battle system of any game available. Sure you can mash buttons. Does it mean you mastered anything of the battle system? No.

In Crpg's you can also just click on things and throw the seemingly best equipment on the charachter. That's the same argument.

Color me unimpressed.

Did you ever spent 10 minutes with Devil May Cry or similiar gerne like Bayonetta? Because as overdriven as they are these games have probably the deepest battle system of any game available. Sure you can mash buttons. Does it mean you mastered anything of the battle system? No.

Poor example.

Those games feature

Color me unimpressed.

Poor example.

Those games feature “automatic mode” so that they could be finished by nothing but mindless button mashing.

Nope. Just isn't true.

If you're not playing on easy.... Try this games on normal or hard difficulty. Try them. It's just not the truth.

(Also just because there are games that feature such modes to give even casual players the ability to play through a game. There's NOTHING wrong with that.)

Edited by C2B

Color me unimpressed.

Poor example.

Those games feature

Those games also feature ultra-hard difficulty and survival mode that 99% of players can’t beat but it doesn’t mean the devs were so attached to the battle system (no matter it’s depth) to make it actually require any skill.

Uhm what? You're kinda contradicting yourself here you know that? Also it doesn't change anything that the battle system can be used one way or another. It STILL has depth. It STILL is hard to master. IT still isn't just a "brainless button masher"

Not to mention, you're kinda saying elitist devs are the good kind. And what does that even MEAN "attached to their battle system". So devs that take their time to make it accessible for low skill players aren't attached to their battle system?

Edited by C2B