Poll suggests 1 in 5 Americans cannot make simple factual assessments

Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, to be fair, coming to a conclusion about the spiritual beliefs of a person who you've never even spoken with is hardly a "simple" matter.

But, really, what we're seeing is "Muslim" being used as a shorthand for "un-American" by people who have been whipped into a frenzy of rage and who are thus willing to believe anything negative told to them about the current POTUS. The people responding to this survey don't think or care what Obama actually believes-- they're simply picking whichever answer comports most closely with their mental image of him as the Worst Thing That Has Ever Happened to America. There are always people on the fringes who think this way-- the alarming thing is that the radicalization of American politics has raised this figure to 18% (and that only accounts for the fringe on the rightward side of the spectrum).

Edited by Enoch

I don't understand how that could ever be a bad thing though? IF the Muslim community would welcome him, that would be a huge bridge to a better understanding between differing cultures!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So.. even Muslims think he's a liar when Obmama claims to be Christian. If Muslims think he's a Muslim they should be uspet for ebtraying him since he practices the Christian faith.

Either way, the poll is bogus anyways.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Haa-haa, north-americans are stupid! *points*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"Poll suggests 1 in 5 Americans cannot make simple factual assessments."

Poll suggests 1 in 5 Americans are, at best, average human beings. Not too bad, I'd say.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Or one could say: 4 out of 5 Americans CAN make factual assessments.

WHich is pretty good. And a higher number than I would have expected.

It's all in the spin.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"What happened to religion being a personal thing?

I don't think anyone cares about the president's(or prime minister's) religion around here."

I think one should care what religion their leader since, by defintion, your religion no matter what it is, has a huge hand in shaping you as a person one way or the other good and bad.

Not that i care because I'm not a religious person anyways. And, I'm anti God.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"What happened to religion being a personal thing?

I don't think anyone cares about the president's(or prime minister's) religion around here."

I think one should care what religion their leader since, by defintion, your religion no matter what it is, has a huge hand in shaping you as a person one way or the other good and bad.

Not that i care because I'm not a religious person anyways. And, I'm anti God.

So does an education.

It's probably better to judge people on their actions.

Edited by Purkake

It wouldn't matter if he was a muslim, but he isn't. And the people who believe the things are either bigots or they're just plain stupid.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

"Poll suggests 1 in 5 Americans cannot make simple factual assessments."

Poll suggests 1 in 5 Americans are, at best, average human beings. Not too bad, I'd say.

If only 1 in 5 Americans are average in a binary situation, HOLY CRAP

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, we all know JFK was just a patsy for the Pope!

Good point, Hurl. here's that speech with video.

Just one part of the excellent speech:

But because I am a Catholic, and no Catholic has ever been elected President, the real issues in this campaign have been obscured -- perhaps deliberately, in some quarters less responsible than this. So it is apparently necessary for me to state once again, not what kind of church I believe in -- for that should be important only to me -- but what kind of America I believe in.

Interestingly, 60% of those who thought he was a muslim were Rpepublican. Although perhaps what is more interesting is that presumably the other 40 were not!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Should every politician come with a detailed and verified biography and a psychological profile?

Actually, yes.

And there is. No president gets elected without an insane amount of their personal life going public. That is why this is laughable, Obama is not even close to being a Muslim.

Happy Ramadan to everyone, by the way.

I don't think he's a muslim. But so what if he was?

I'm quite sute he is a natural born US citizen. If he was not, Hillary Clinton's team would have found out about it and dispatched him long before the primaries were over in '08. Of course he has only himself to balme for allowing this whole controversy to cotinue but I guess there will always be conspiracy theorists.

He is a lousy President however. And no please do not bring up any sycophant ravings about the last president. He's gone and he's never coming back. Hopefully the same will be said about this fool in 2012 and hopefully he will be limited in his radical leftist agenda by the loss of the US House this November. It would be really great if they lost the Senate too, that would neuter him all together and we can have a nice quiet run into 2012 where we can get rid of him altogether.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't think he's a muslim. But so what if he was?

I'm quite sute he is a natural born US citizen. If he was not, Hillary Clinton's team would have found out about it and dispatched him long before the primaries were over in '08. Of course he has only himself to balme for allowing this whole controversy to cotinue but I guess there will always be conspiracy theorists.

He is a lousy President however. And no please do not bring up any sycophant ravings about the last president. He's gone and he's never coming back. Hopefully the same will be said about this fool in 2012 and hopefully he will be limited in his radical leftist agenda by the loss of the US House this November. It would be really great if they lost the Senate too, that would neuter him all together and we can have a nice quiet run into 2012 where we can get rid of him altogether.

Cut him a little slack, it was 8 years with the Bush administration which stands today as the worst. That's a whole of a mess to clean.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif