gamescom previews

PCGamesHardware.de: Technical Details of Dungeon Siege 3

Gamescom 2010: Dungeon Siege 3 in the Technical Test - Physx and Eyefinity support, because DX9 consoles

The first playable version of Dungeon Siege 3, we have a back room to examine the Gamescom in. In addition, we revealed chief designer Nathaniel Chapman numerous technical details of hardware requirements and capabilities of the Onyx-house developed engine. (Daniel M

Edited by funcroc

The fact that there are no higher resolution textures planned for the PC version is a bit disappoint as it is the fact that there is no AA option in the game but you have to force it with the drivers. Hopefully they'll rethink their stance on this. Also, I hope this doesn't mean that the PC version is getting a simple port with a shoddy interface that doesn't take mouse + keyboard into account.

I hate this trend of no AA in the options, is it really that hard to put the option in there?

Having to force if via the drivers is a damn hassle.

You must learn to live in harmony with your computer grasshopper, before you can truly become one with it.

The fact that there are no higher resolution textures planned for the PC version is a bit disappoint as it is the fact that there is no AA option in the game but you have to force it with the drivers. Hopefully they'll rethink their stance on this. Also, I hope this doesn't mean that the PC version is getting a simple port with a shoddy interface that doesn't take mouse + keyboard into account.

Why bother though? It's extra work and I would imagine it's hefty amount of extra work for players that mostly just download their games illegaly. Yea it would be nice, but if you think about it, it's prolly not worth the time and resources. No matter how great the graphics are that same huuge group of people will not pay for the product.

I personally think the graphics are just fine already. It's not like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 are looking any better...

Hate the living, love the dead.

If that's the reason, go all in and don't release it on the PC.

Won't be long until more and more companies will actually start to ignore PC. If you look at some companies (EA Sports, Rockstar to name a few), you can see how they are ignoring pc market completely. Did they even release the last NHL game on PC? 2008 or 2009 (can't remember which) PC version was really really bad when compared to the console versions. Rockstar releases buggy as **** ports way after the original release date. Not to mention all those games by Sony and Microsoft that won't be ported ever...

So yea, I'll be happy with what would seem to be a proper pc version of the game. Even if it doesn't have high res models for the graphics whores :(

Hate the living, love the dead.

First, I'm not sure if it was an initial communication confusion or the haze of Google translation, but there were some miscommunications there.

On the textures and AA option, what I said was that our current pre-Alpha build, we havent finished our options menu and we are still focusing on getting the core game content done. Once we finish the core process of making the Game, we'll be able to give definitive answers on other features and tech things we will or won't implement.

First, I'm not sure if it was an initial communication confusion or the haze of Google translation, but there were some miscommunications there.

On the textures and AA option, what I said was that our current pre-Alpha build, we havent finished our options menu and we are still focusing on getting the core game content done. Once we finish the core process of making the Game, we'll be able to give definitive answers on other features and tech things we will or won't implement.

thanks for the correction :lol:

/vote for AA ;P

Onyx is set up so that we can develop on all platforms simultaneously. I can literally hit a button and hop on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC at the same time and see the changes I made. We want to make the experience just as good regardless of which platform you prefer.

Let me translate that for the ones not understanding what Jean-Eric is trying to convey here:

"We're building a game that has to run as good on the lowest common denominator (ie. five year old, underpowered consoles) as it does on your Core i7, triple-SLI rig"

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing how being held back by inferior console hardware is in any way good for us who like to pimp our PC's.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Onyx is set up so that we can develop on all platforms simultaneously. I can literally hit a button and hop on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC at the same time and see the changes I made. We want to make the experience just as good regardless of which platform you prefer.

Let me translate that for the ones not understanding what Jean-Eric is trying to convey here:

"We're building a game that has to run as good on the lowest common denominator (ie. five year old, underpowered consoles) as it does on your Core i7, triple-SLI rig"

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing how being held back by inferior console hardware is in any way good for us who like to pimp our PC's.

On the other hand this form of development means better reaction to bugs on a multiplatform basis. Which sounds great.

I also don't see the problem with the graphics too much. It looks great! though I hope high res textures are still implented in the pc version.

Edited by C2B

Looks like Gameswelt wasn't particularly impressed.

I wonder what the writer of that article has seen fof DA2 that he's so impressed to put it way in front of DSIII.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Just to put things in perspective:

An ordinary cell phone of today has the same amount of RAM (or more) as the consoles they are trying to cram this game onto.

An ordinary GPU (one, single part of a PC) has twice the amount of RAM as the consoles they are trying to cram this game onto.

In fact, I would bet their artists are drawing these high resolution textures for everything they create, but they're having to downscale them heavily to fit into the restricted memory of the current-gen consoles. Sure, having the same art resources for all versions is probably a time saver, but it still feels like a waste not having a dedicated team handling the PC version. Scalability, people!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

In fact, I would bet their artists are drawing these high resolution textures for everything they create, but they're having to downscale them heavily to fit into the restricted memory of the current-gen consoles. Sure, having the same art resources for all versions is probably a time saver, but it still feels like a waste not having a dedicated team handling the PC version. Scalability, people!

I'm seconding the sentiment.

You will be able to make the game look much, much better on PC than it will on consoles, much like other cross platform games. The game looks amazing at 2560x1440 with FSAA and AF cranked, and that is something that you can't do on consoles. Seeing as the game is in pre alpha, and our featureset isn't even locked down, I wouldn't get too worried yet about what we will and won't support on a given platform :D

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a souped up PC at home (which is why I know how it looks at those ridiculous settings) and I advocate for our PC versions to be scalable graphically. It's something that I do feel is very important.

and I advocate for our PC versions to be scalable graphically. It's something that I do feel is very important.

It better be! BETTER BE! *shakes fist at the air*

But seriously, that was reassuring, thanks for the post.

..now is there any chance that you could explain us how the special attack bars work? Bad bad german + using google translations to help myself understand came with a very contradictory picture.

Someone with a better german than mine should take a look at Eurogamer's preview.

Well, the interesting things the preview talks about

- Mass Effect/Alpha Protocol similiar dialogwheel without a time limitation like AP

- There doesn't seem to be much animation when they talk. Probably not done as of yet

- There's a hero class called Guardian and about stances. Nothing new

- It's an action battle system meaning you can press/click to attack. When attacking a focus meter fills to use special attacks. If you have an orb too the attack gets stronger.

Meaning: you have an 180