gamescom previews

Come to think of it. The system that was explained until now. Does that just count for the guardian? I don't remember hearing anything about the magic system as of now?

I believe the stance system is applied to all the classes, but it won't be one-handed VS two-handed for all classes. In the screen-shots, we've seen that the Archon was wielding either a traditional wizard staff or some sort of (apparently magic-created) spear on fire : those two weapons are probably indicator of different 'stances' for that class (with the staff, probably the close-combat and fire-kicks, and long-range damage when wielding the spear).

Come to think of it. The system that was explained until now. Does that just count for the guardian? I don't remember hearing anything about the magic system as of now?

I believe the stance system is applied to all the classes, but it won't be one-handed VS two-handed for all classes. In the screen-shots, we've seen that the Archon was wielding either a traditional wizard staff or some sort of (apparently magic-created) spear on fire : those two weapons are probably indicator of different 'stances' for that class (with the staff, probably the close-combat and fire-kicks, and long-range damage when wielding the spear).

I suspected that much. I just hope we aren't limited in usuable magic through it.

@WUE I didn't really refer to that point though. ;)

Honestly, I find the 'they're changing the genre too much' a fair criticism, though honestly, it doesn't look that way to me. It's still ultimately a hack'n'slash with ph4t l00t and a generic medieval fantasy setting.
I don't see how adding in two stances or a branching story is changing the genre. Or is it because of the talking hero? ZOMG we want no conversations in our Diablo ripoff!

Besides, Taylor wanted to make fights in DS2 more tactical, guess that game was too much like IWD too.

The gameplay is no longer party-based, and it's doubtful the one companion one seems to have in the game can be directly controlled. That's a big change compared to the previous games. DS2 had conversations and even party banter, that's no big deal.

I'd guess the few hardcore DS fans that are still around would want nothing more than DS3 to have the exact gameplay as the previous games, but only with better graphics.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

. . .

I'd guess the few hardcore DS fans that are still around would want nothing more than DS3 to have the exact gameplay as the previous games, but only with better graphics.

That's not only in the interest of the hardcore.

It's a general expectation that DS3 will combine the best of DS1 and DS2, namely similar or improved (from DS1+DS2 player's perspective!) gameplay, hero levelling, party member features, interface/inventory, controls, camera, etc...

If Obsidian is changing too much then DS1+DS2 players surly will ask if/why they made a totally different game and just copied the game title and some references on previous story... :p

How many stances does the Guardian have anyways??? Some previews say he has One-Handed and Two-Handed, some says he has Two-Handed and Two-Weapons, some says he has One-Handed and Two-Weapons... does that mean he has in fact three stances, but each previewer only sees two in one presentation?

They were most perplexed about the breadcrumbs trails, the combat system (they defined it a mix between a beat'em up and Fable O_o') and even the art style was too cartoon-y according to them.

EDIT : Oh, I forgot : not enough loot.

The art style was too cartoony? Weren't the two previous DS games just as cartoony? Either that or I missed the part where they looked like a "realistic" modern day shooter. I'm not sure what they mean about the combat system, though.

They were most perplexed about the breadcrumbs trails, the combat system (they defined it a mix between a beat'em up and Fable O_o') and even the art style was too cartoon-y according to them.

EDIT : Oh, I forgot : not enough loot.

The art style was too cartoony? Weren't the two previous DS games just as cartoony? Either that or I missed the part where they looked like a "realistic" modern day shooter. I'm not sure what they mean about the combat system, though.

I'm just mentioning what they said. I personally haven't played Dungeon Siege I and II, but the colors looked a little bit more toned down. I'm not sure if that was really an art choice though.