gamescom previews

Who the hell thought that organizing an interview with Chris Taylor about Dungeon Siege III was a good idea? I mean yeah, he reviews builds, but he's still not directly involved.

Why should he review builds? Square-Enix doesn't owe anything to Chris Taylor.

It's his series. And it's nice to see that SE does that in my opinion. :p

No it's not. The franchise now belongs to SE, they don't need approval from Taylor.

This is just some silly talk anyway. They say they let him review it for sentimental reasons, so that the fanboys don't rage. In truth, he does ****.

I'm pretty sure I'd have liked if Tim Cain and Jason Anderson and all of the crew were asked for feedback about Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so I can understand why Obsidian and Squenix are asking Chris Taylor about DSIII. Plus, it's useful to avoid straying too far from what made Dungeon Siege Dungeon Siege.

Ultimately yeah, he doesn't have the final word about anything, but I still think it's a pretty cool thing.

But yeah, I also still think that it was stupid to arrange an interview with him.

Who the hell thought that organizing an interview with Chris Taylor about Dungeon Siege III was a good idea? I mean yeah, he reviews builds, but he's still not directly involved.

Why should he review builds? Square-Enix doesn't owe anything to Chris Taylor.

It's his series. And it's nice to see that SE does that in my opinion. :p

No it's not. The franchise now belongs to SE, they don't need approval from Taylor.

.... Ok, you didn't understand how I meant that, do you?

And do you have a problem with Taylor or something?

This is such a minimal point and you are getting all worked up about it. Chill, man.

Edit: Yeah, there are thousands of Total Annihlation and DS 1 fans who want to have a word with you.

Edited by C2B

Kidding right? The more DS3 strays away from Taylor's original work, the better. Because let's face it: DS1/2 were total bonkers, and Taylor is a talentless hack. The only reason I give a damn about DS3 is Obsidian.

He did make TA and SupCom, maybe RPGs just aren't his strong suit?

Then again he also made SupCom 2...

Kidding right? The more DS3 strays away from Taylor's original work, the better. Because let's face it: DS1/2 were total bonkers, and Taylor is a talentless hack. The only reason I give a damn about DS3 is Obsidian.

I actually thought DS2 was one of the best games of it's kind to come out.

hatersgonnahatemantis.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

GPG's Chris Taylor gamescom video interview (which has little to do with DS3 though)

Some tweets on DS3 at gamescom

#1. Jem Alexander, former Social Media Manager at SCEE

-- I'm really excited for Dungeon Siege 3 and I think you should be, too.

-- I did [see the presentation of DS3 at gamescom] indeed, yeah! You'll see my [DS3] report on g4tv.com this week. The game's looking really good.

#2. NAG Magazine Online

#GC10 Dungeon Siege 3 is looking sweet. Slick, complex combat system with some very impressive visuals. Obsidian is doing very well with it.

I'm impressed to see an Obsidian game praised for its combat system.

Maybe there's still hope for an incline of Obsidian's gameplay? The tweaks done to Fallout : New Vegas sound pretty good too after all.

I liked Alpha Protocol's gameplay but the little inconsistencies and the unbalance kinda killed its potential.

I see it more as the gameplay of their titles being a bit stuck between what the mainstream wants and what the more hardcore roleplayers want. While I think AP could've done with more polish and above all, additional balancing, who knows how people will react to New Vegas? I know that *I* really like the sounds of it but I wonder if ye "casual" gamer will like the increased importance of stats, STR requirements (though they don't stop you from using a weapon), slowed perk-gain rates, less "jack-of-all-trades" syndrome and the possibility of not punching through an enemy's armor due to DT.

I love the changes personally, but I hardly think they'll be considered good universally speaking. Especially not among the people who may have been introduced to the series with F3.

Similarily, I personally fear that DS3 will go the other way, displeasing the old RPG people who like the numbers and clicking on things. But obviously that's way too early to tell.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm impressed to see an Obsidian game praised for its combat system.

Maybe there's still hope for an incline of Obsidian's gameplay? The tweaks done to Fallout : New Vegas sound pretty good too after all.

I liked Alpha Protocol's gameplay but the little inconsistencies and the unbalance kinda killed its potential.

I honestly attribute it to Nathaniel. Storm of Zehir had pretty good gameplay changes as well.

And New Vegas has Sawyer.

Storm Of Zehir had some interesting gameplay, but it was built on top of an engine that did not really support that kind of gameplay they were striving for. Also, I suspect that they spent too much time on the technical/design changes, and forgot the content, it was a bit too thin.

EDIT : I'm also beginning to see why doing an action rpg was actually a smart choice for Obsidian. Focusing on just one system and the supporting system (the combat is the main focus after all) instead of various different ways to accomplish objectives should mean that overall the game systems will be more robust because of that. No more 'we put a lot of things in, but none was developed enough' Alpha Protocol-syndrome.

EDIT 2 : And oh God was that edit engrish-y? I hope it's not totally incomprehensible.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Storm Of Zehir had some interesting gameplay, but it was built on top of an engine that did not really support that kind of gameplay they were striving for. Also, I suspect that they spent too much time on the technical/design changes, and forgot the content, it was a bit too thin.

I talked about gameplay. Not about other elements. :)

Since this is a type of game that would not give mouse/keyboard controls any great advantages, I wonder if they'll consider making the co-op experience cross-platform? It would be the first of its kind.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Golem.de preview

...According to the two well-tempered producer of the game, Alvin Nelson and Nathan Davis, the Action RPG to be significantly darker than Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. One of the authors of the history Zieten George, who is responsible, among other things, the story of Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of the Betrayer expansion...

..Another Onyx-based game should already be in work...