recommended schools for programming

pants_happy

Make sure the school teaches C++ (not sure if this has already been covered).

I went to Indiana University. There are some amazing teachers there (Sabry, Mills, Rawlins to name a few) but they're all teaching their classes (circa 2005ish) in Java, Scheme and maybe Python (recent addition).

In fact, I got to my 400 level graphics class (in OpenGL) and the first day the teacher said "I'm going to assume you all know C++ and C so we'll just jump into OpenGL", when in fact they had never even suggested C/C++ until the 400 level.

I ended up teaching myself, and thanks to their strong foundation in learning how a language itself works, I was able to do it with relative ease and a small amount of time. But it wasn't pretty. Thankfully there was a non-major class in C++ that I was able to take to get the foundations and then go back and retake the OpenGL class, but it shouldn't be that hard.

I think Indiana has changed this curriculum by now, but definitely look into your school's CS program to make sure at some point they teach you C++ instead of just expecting you to know it :)

Best of luck.

Im only a junior in highschool, but im taking my second semester of computer science... what should I take after it if I want to pursue Game Designing as a job.

Mathematics is rather important. I dunno how you do it over in America, but you should definitely have a firm grasp of matrices, vectors, trigonometry, co-ordinate geometry and calculus before you finish highschool (and I'd suggest taking linear algebra at uni, but I'm not sure what the game industry actually requires).

Python is a great, great language to pick up alongside something like Java, Haskell (or LISP or Scheme), or C/C++. Honestly, I can't stress enough how awesome Python is as a general utility programming/scripting language (though I see it used in the game industry fairly regularly, too). And on that note, you should definitely look into the C/C++ pair as your coding mainstay, as framerate says.

Make sure the school teaches C++ (not sure if this has already been covered).

I went to Indiana University. There are some amazing teachers there (Sabry, Mills, Rawlins to name a few) but they're all teaching their classes (circa 2005ish) in Java, Scheme and maybe Python (recent addition).

In fact, I got to my 400 level graphics class (in OpenGL) and the first day the teacher said "I'm going to assume you all know C++ and C so we'll just jump into OpenGL", when in fact they had never even suggested C/C++ until the 400 level.

I ended up teaching myself, and thanks to their strong foundation in learning how a language itself works, I was able to do it with relative ease and a small amount of time. But it wasn't pretty. Thankfully there was a non-major class in C++ that I was able to take to get the foundations and then go back and retake the OpenGL class, but it shouldn't be that hard.

I think Indiana has changed this curriculum by now, but definitely look into your school's CS program to make sure at some point they teach you C++ instead of just expecting you to know it :deadhorse:

Best of luck.

Isn't that the way of things? It's like these days they don't teach C++ because they want to improve your skillset by teaching you less used, but still useful and interesting languages, paradigms and concepts... but along the way they accidentally forget about the core language(s?) entirely. There was a similar OpenGL graphics course at my old uni, and asking around, there was a similar problem; they'd never explicitly been taught C++ before!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I am very interested in attending DigiPen's Bachelors of Science in Real-Time Interactive Simulation. However I have some rather pressing concerns about this field itself though.

For the people familiar with BSRTIS' curriculum, you should know that they are very heavy in mathematics, physics and programming. That's totally why I wish to take up BSRTIS, having a strong interest in computing and mathematics since I was young. Game elements require understanding of importance branches like kinetic, static etc to create game engines, networking for writing mmos? and 3D mathematics. In my opinion it is more or less the most difficult software to create, hence my interest in this field.

This leads to my question. I don't have interest in BSRTIS because I a gamer. I do play some FPS or MMORPGS here and there, but I do not have much if any passion in gameplaying itself. I am more interested in the underlying theories about how games and graphics work. Polygons, geometry and low level details etc. I am also interested in BSRTIS mainly because of the heavy programming and mathematical content. In the opinion of you experienced game programmers/designers, will this cripple me greatly?

Next, hopefully BSRTIS students or grads can answer this. As you guys know there are several game-related projects (GAM 400 and GAM 450) in the BSRTIS' curriculum. Do BSRTIS students actually do the artwork for the game themselves or will they work with graphic animators or artists from other majors? The thing is I am also bad in ART so I am not sure if "not being good in art" can get me through the 4 years program as well.

To sum it up, a strong interest in programming/computing, math and physics but not too crazy about gaming + not too good an artist. Are those reasons enough for me to drop the idea of attending Digipen immediately. Hope someone can answer me, thanks :)

Not a reason to not attend Digipen, from all accounts Digipen is a top place. Perhaps you should think about oppertunities which will lead to a more acedemic, researching role?

A good computer science degree would probably suite you, you would most likely be able to learn anything else that interested you from books alone.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Well my parents are on my back about earning the academic degree, but I a hardcore gamer/experimenter I liked to mess around with games, they dont take it serious but I want to make Programming/Scripting part of my career.

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

• 2 weeks later...
Well my parents are on my back about earning the academic degree, but I a hardcore gamer/experimenter I liked to mess around with games, they dont take it serious but I want to make Programming/Scripting part of my career.

I'm not a games designer, but I have worked as a board games designer, many many years ago. Designing your own board games is fun, and gives you a great insight into creative project management. Why not build a simulation of your life, or your digestive system or something? Just grab some cardboard, marker pens, and a dice.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

not that it matters nor is this an endorsement, but my school, the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, offers some kind of computer science degree with an emphasis in game design. it's one of their new "bachelor of innovation" degrees which i have not yet figured out (i never could tell what differs between bachelor of arts and bachelor of science and now i'm even more baffled).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

• 1 month later...

Bachelor of innovation? :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, some new degree type... www.uccs.edu for more information if you're thinking about coming across the pond. :) careful poking around, i'm actually listed somewhere as an instructor, hehe.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

• 8 months later...

I've since worked on a couple of creative endeavours, and a Bi kind of makes sense. After all, it's neither a procedure nor an art per se.

-Elwood Blues

• 5 months later...
Hi, I am from Canada, and I need to know if you would accept graduate students from the Academy of Design at RCC Institute of Technology.

http://www.aodt.ca/

I want to eventually apply, and attain a position with Obsidian Entertainment. I just need to know if you would recognize this school.

What university you went to means **** all compared to the skills and qualities you can physically demonstrate.

AFAIK they don't hire based on the university you went to (does any employer these days?). Unless maybe if it's Digipen! :lol:

Hi, I am from Canada, and I need to know if you would accept graduate students from the Academy of Design at RCC Institute of Technology.

http://www.aodt.ca/

I want to eventually apply, and attain a position with Obsidian Entertainment. I just need to know if you would recognize this school.

Hey Kruize. I can't speak for our hiring manager, but I can concur with the above statements that your skill set is more important than your schooling - we'll accept applications from students at basically any school if their education has prepared them well for a position in the industry.

Matthew Rorie

• 4 weeks later...

Backflips. Learn to do backflips, and make great cookies.

-Elwood Blues

• 4 months later...
Backflips. Learn to do backflips, and make great cookies.

I can make great cookies while I backflip, when do I start?

Out of curiosity, however. What skills would Obsidian be looking for?

About schools: What would you recommend for a pure designer course/school? Programming and the like is something I have no talent (or skill) for, but creativity, ideas and general designing are my best traits (and interests, despite my current schooling ;p).