recommended schools for programming

pants_happy

I'm currently attending Full Sail's Game Design and Development program, and I thought I'd drop a few lines about the experience so far, since DigiPen seems to be getting a huge chunk of discussion time.

First of all, Full Sail DOES offer an accredited Bachelor's Degree in GDD (this is a relatively new program; only the Associate's Degree was offered at the time this thread was started).

Full Sail goes on a month-by-month basis for classes; you'll never take more than two classes at a time, and each class lasts for 1-2 months. The school's learning pace is extremely fast; that's why it only takes 21 months to get a Bachelor's Degree. There is no summer (well, you get a week), but you can take a leave of absence for up to five months.

When comparing Full Sail to a standard four-year university's Computer Science degree program, I like to equate it to traveling down a river. At most schools, the river is placid and if you want to make any progress, you have to do all the swimming on your own. At Full Sail, you're thrown into a violent rapid that carries you downstream; the struggle is in staying alive, but if you can, you'll get to the end much more quickly.

Many of my classmates have dropped out or failed back thus far; out of the 66 classmates we started with in the first month, less than 20 are still here with me four months later (though several more students have failed back into my class).

Don't let the name "Game Design and Development" fool you, this degree is 90% programming. However, you do design and program your very own game as a final project with a group of 3-5 other classmates. Full Sail also offers degrees in related fields, such as Digital Media and Computer Animation, that offer other gateways into the gaming industry.

I am very happy with the education I've gotten so far. As I mentioned earlier, it can be very difficult to keep up, but after attending a technical school that I absolutely hated because of the pace (hint: it starts with 'D' and rhymes with "Pee Fry"), I'm glad to be learning so much so quickly.

When I entered the program, I had very limited programming experience (a year of Visual Basic, and that class was pretty much a joke). In three months here, I had learned the entire C++ language (though there are infinite ways of using the language and many libraries that I haven't delved into yet).

By the time I graduate, I will have had extensive experience in C++, OpenGL, DirectX, console programming ©, optimization (assembly), math (calculus, linear algebra, physics), and specialized programming fields such as artificial intelligence, data structures, and tools programming. I will have created my own game from scratch and will be ready to go out into the world and show everyone what I'm about.

Are you listening, Obsidian? :)

Anyway, check out the website and see what you think. If you're not serious, if you don't plan on sleepless nights and hard work, then don't bother. If you have the necessary drive, this school can help you achieve your dreams.

This is my first post, but I promise to have a decent avatar and signature up soon.

• 2 months later...

I know that it has been sometime that this topic has been picked at, but I am presently a junior attending the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy. We have been pushed by our counselors to make a list of the 8 or so colleges that we would like to attend. By the time I graduate from IMSA I plan to have take AP Computer Science and the Calculus AP. I have also taken AP Chemistry and I will be taking Calc. based Physics. I also have a strong desire to continue studying German. Can anyone recommend a college that would allow me to get into the game industry, but still allow me to study German?

I'm currently attending Full Sail's Game Design and Development program, and I thought I'd drop a few lines about the experience so far, since DigiPen seems to be getting a huge chunk of discussion time.

First of all, Full Sail DOES offer an accredited Bachelor's Degree in GDD (this is a relatively new program; only the Associate's Degree was offered at the time this thread was started).

Full Sail goes on a month-by-month basis for classes; you'll never take more than two classes at a time, and each class lasts for 1-2 months.  The school's learning pace is extremely fast; that's why it only takes 21 months to get a Bachelor's Degree.  There is no summer (well, you get a week), but you can take a leave of absence for up to five months.

When comparing Full Sail to a standard four-year university's Computer Science degree program, I like to equate it to traveling down a river.  At most schools, the river is placid and if you want to make any progress, you have to do all the swimming on your own.  At Full Sail, you're thrown into a violent rapid that carries you downstream; the struggle is in staying alive, but if you can, you'll get to the end much more quickly.

Many of my classmates have dropped out or failed back thus far; out of the 66 classmates we started with in the first month, less than 20 are still here with me four months later (though several more students have failed back into my class).

Don't let the name "Game Design and Development" fool you, this degree is 90% programming.  However, you do design and program your very own game as a final project with a group of 3-5 other classmates.  Full Sail also offers degrees in related fields, such as Digital Media and Computer Animation, that offer other gateways into the gaming industry.

I am very happy with the education I've gotten so far.  As I mentioned earlier, it can be very difficult to keep up, but after attending a technical school that I absolutely hated because of the pace (hint: it starts with 'D' and rhymes with "Pee Fry"), I'm glad to be learning so much so quickly.

When I entered the program, I had very limited programming experience (a year of Visual Basic, and that class was pretty much a joke).  In three months here, I had learned the entire C++ language (though there are infinite ways of using the language and many libraries that I haven't delved into yet).

By the time I graduate, I will have had extensive experience in C++, OpenGL, DirectX, console programming

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

I know that it has been sometime that this topic has been picked at, but I am presently a junior attending the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy. We have been pushed by our counselors to make a list of the 8 or so colleges that we would like to attend. By the time I graduate from IMSA I plan to have take AP Computer Science and the Calculus AP. I have also taken AP Chemistry and I will be taking Calc. based Physics. I also have a strong desire to continue studying German. Can anyone recommend a college that would allow me to get into the game industry, but still allow me to study German?

yodaman,

I would recommend thinking about foreign exchange at any school you end up at. Most US schools offer international exchange, and it can be a fun way to get some world experience, learn about foreign culture, and get those pesky GER's out of the way. You'll have to take em anyway, might as well do total immersion at the same time. Then by the time you get to upper division courses you'll have had a lot of fun, and be fully able to focus on the CS courses. When you get into em, don't take em lightly. There is a LOT of cool stuff you can learn from them, especially if while you're taking them you always think "How can I make this part of a game?" It certainly helped me a lot, especially to find a reason to chug through some of those math courses, which teach you all about (In a weird theoretical kinda way) how to do advanced collision detection, intersections, and 3d transformations.

• 2 months later...

I know thatthe US military use a lot of modelling and simulations in all aspects, from weapons to training. Surely they must have some school programs running?

Not sure how that would fit into game design. Possibly an after-Army beer and hawaiian shirts diploma would help? Note that game design doesn't always work out, and that way you'd have an alternative career path...

Just a thought.

Best of luck to all, regardless.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

There are only a couple of options for this type of degree in Australia. I am currently doing a CS degree (majoring in Games Technology) at Murdoch University, Western Australia.

I'm enjoying it so far. Most of the stuff this year has been basic, practical stuff, but I'm looking forward to next year when I get to do units like "Games Design" and "Software for Games Development".

Of course, the problem with things like internships is that there aren't many Games Production companies here.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason CS students don't learn that many languages is that the focus isn't on the language but on the theory behind different methods and concepts. So you tend to get to learn the languages that the teachers feel are the best tools for teaching the theory in the subject in question.

At least thats how it is here, we have a grand total of 1 language focused course in the 4 year program I'm taking. And that one is just to learn the basics of C so that we can code an OS in it (the teachers eventualy realised that it was a bit hard to manage to code an whole OS in C when all that you had coded in before was sparc assembly and standard ML)...

• 3 weeks later...
I'm curious to hear about some schools outside the US as well.

Are there any programming schools in Canada or Europe that come highly recommended by game developers?

Aberty Dundee up in Scotland is supposed to be a decent place, I thought about going there but I opted for Huddersfield.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

At least thats how it is here, we have a grand total of 1 language focused course in the 4 year program I'm taking. And that one is just to learn  the basics of C so that we can code an OS in it (the teachers eventualy realised that it was a bit hard to manage to code an whole OS in C when all that you had coded in before was sparc assembly and standard ML)...

I imagine that would be really hard. We're learning C, Java, C++, Perl and eventually C#.

What impresses me the most is seeing a completed game that I can play, rather than a bunch of buzzword techniques wrapped up in a demo that very loosely represents what could possibly be described as or used in a 'game'.  A graphics demo != a game demo.

/* snip */

Thanks for the excellent information! I'll have to start working on a game right away.

A question... how broad should one's skillset be to perform well in the game industry? I've earned my living as a software engineer via a bachelors in CS but got my masters in Cinema-Television making films and earned some kudos via films and screenplays. Is this sort of ecclectic skillset useful for game creation?

Wanted to throw in a plug for USC for game programming and design. 

I got my MFA from USC in Cinema-Television Production and would second this. One could do CS and minor in Video Game Design and Management. There is also an MFA in Interactive Media. Here's a link for more information:

http://www-cntv.usc.edu/academic_programs/...active-home.cfm

I graduated from DigiPen in 2003,

I just wanted to post my experiences.

1999 was a very shaky year for the school, alot of teachers left (to work in the industry) and alot of the new teachers there had no teaching experience and needless to say, my frist programming class I ever took didn't start with 'hello world' but more like window's GDI window class pointers and call back functions, since the new teachers didn't know it was a beginning course from the harsh work load.

:p

all is forgive.

needless to say the school is much better off now with a few good years under its belt.

I was not one of the 75% drop outs, almost though. If you work hard enough, you can acheive your goals, so I don't think it matters what school you go to but DigiPen is nice, since you have to work around 60 hours per week if you want to survive (thats the drop out reason, not the math courses!)

I also enjoyed everyone I met at the Pen, students and teachers alike. Its a great atmosphere and there is never a shortage of halo players, not that I play halo, but everyone else did.

see now i'm off topic, i talk and ramble too much. However, the school is for the hard working and dedicated and everything relates to gaming as much as it can be. I just wish there was another 4 years though, I want to know more about AI and graphics from the professors there. Its the on hands training, thats the good stuff. there is no better feeling in the world then when you get your game project done and show it to the world!

I also have a quick question for Adam, if he still works here that is, What year did you graduate from dP, I was tutor my senior year (02-03) and I tutored pretty much everyone, (I basically had to sneek off to the bathroom since if any one would see me they would want me to debug their code or anwers some questions) I was one of the Crazy Cross programmers. give a shout out if you got time!

ed p.

Fat ED!

I just wish there was another 4 years though, I want to know more about AI and graphics from the professors there.
There's a master's program now, and I've heard that they're planning to have a Ph.D program also.

I was one of the Crazy Cross programmers.
I know this doesn't have a whole lot to do with programming, but those Dr. Jahn spell videos are awesome.

I just wish there was another 4 years though, I want to know more about AI and graphics from the professors there.
There's a master's program now, and I've heard that they're planning to have a Ph.D program also.

I was one of the Crazy Cross programmers.
I know this doesn't have a whole lot to do with programming, but those Dr. Jahn spell videos are awesome.

It's good to know that Dr. Jahn  hasn't lost his step.  Are you currently enrolled there Andrew? How far into the program are you? I use to tutor most of the CS classes, so if you have any problems and can't get ahold of any help, email me at pfated@gmail.com as last case resort, I'd love to help any way i can.

I just started my second year yesterday; the lifetyle was a huge adjustment for me, so I still haven't completed two of the freshman classes, but I'm feeling a lot more comfortable than I did last year. I'll definitely let you know if I reach a total dead end. Thanks :(

every little bit helps, so thanks for the response. i guess you're right with the degree being the same, reguardless of where you go. there are a few colleges around here (north dakota/western minnesota) that offer cs degrees, but i would prefer to go to a college that's already focused on computer science, rather than go to an agricultural school for a computer science degree. right now i'm attending msum (minnesota state university moorhead), and classes are ok, but it's really not a school for would-be programmers. i guess it's all how you look at it. perhaps the biggest thing for me is that i need a change of scenery, so i'm just shopping around, so to speak.

a friend of mine suggested full sail before. i've checked that out, along with a few other colleges, so now i'm just looking for advice from people who've received a bachelor's in cs, and what they thought about their college.

oh, and good luck with your last year. working on AI sounds really cool, and right now is probably what i want to do the most too.

thanks for the help,

mr. happy

I earned a BSEE at Florida State, and the BSCE program (and the entire college of Engineering) there is first rate in my opinion. I had a friend there, CE grad who is now working on a PS2 game for Creative Assembly in London.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...
every little bit helps, so thanks for the response. i guess you're right with the degree being the same, reguardless of where you go. there are a few colleges around here (north dakota/western minnesota) that offer cs degrees, but i would prefer to go to a college that's already focused on computer science, rather than go to an agricultural school for a computer science degree. right now i'm attending msum (minnesota state university moorhead), and classes are ok, but it's really not a school for would-be programmers. i guess it's all how you look at it. perhaps the biggest thing for me is that i need a change of scenery, so i'm just shopping around, so to speak.

a friend of mine suggested full sail before. i've checked that out, along with a few other colleges, so now i'm just looking for advice from people who've received a bachelor's in cs, and what they thought about their college.

oh, and good luck with your last year. working on AI sounds really cool, and right now is probably what i want to do the most too.

thanks for the help,

mr. happy

I earned a BSEE at Florida State, and the BSCE program (and the entire college of Engineering) there is first rate in my opinion. I had a friend there, CE grad who is now working on a PS2 game for Creative Assembly in London.

I am new to this forum. I found it by surfing the net for info on gaming design schools. My son is 12, and very into video games! He is interested in possibly pursueing this field after high school. He is very good in math (curently in advanced math),Science, and also very talented in art as well. I think this field would be a good fit for him. My question to you all is what are good schools for gaming design from the art side? What is the differance between programming and designing? Should he be working on game design on his own at his age? I have seen some" game design for teens" books on the Amazon website. Would these be helpful? Also if money were no object, what schools would you all recommend? We live in Michigan, but he could go anywhere. Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...
I am new to this forum. I found it by surfing the net for info on gaming design schools. My son is 12, and very into video games!  He is interested in possibly pursueing this field after high school. He is very good in math (curently in advanced math),Science, and also very talented in art as well. I think this field would be a good fit for him. My question to you all is what are good schools for gaming design from the art side? What is the differance between programming and designing? Should he be working on game design on his own at his age? I have seen some" game design for teens" books on the Amazon website. Would these be helpful? Also if money were no object, what schools would you all recommend? We live in Michigan, but he could go anywhere. Thanks !

First of all let me preface by saying that while I do have some knowledge of CE, programming language, and software design, I am far from being an expert. Programming tends to be an overused and often misused generic term for software design and CE in general. The difference is usually one of semanitcs depending on who is using it.

If he wants to take a shot at game design then I would suggest you get him a copy of Neverwinter Nights and let him learn to use the toolset to actually create game mods. It will familiarize him the the general design process and introduce him to a basic form of the C++ language. There are a wealth of tutorials and guides on Bioware's website on how to use the toolset. It is a lot of fun and if he has an interest that will certainly kindle it. As for learning a programming language I would let him wait a little while longer yet but these books you mention sound pretty good. Reading a book is never a bad thing.

As for schools, any college of engineering that offers CE has a series of art and graphic design classes that are ususally required for the degree. The game design industry is a really small niche so graphic design knowledge would seem to me to be a real important thing to have to get in.

But heck, he's only 12. I would not push him too hard yet. The moment you make something you profession or business, you will stop enjoying it as a hobby. Trust me on that one!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was at DigiPen from 2001-2004.

This past weekend I was in the Seattle area, so I stopped by the school and chatted with some of the professors, students and faculty. I wanted to play in the Counter-Strike tournament, but sadly, I didn't get a chance to... :o

And if you all were curious, I wasn't one of the students that needed some tutoring :ermm:

Here is some good advice for people in high school thinking about going into a school like DigiPen - try to get your feet wet with some programming before enrolling in the school. This will help you with your first year, and it will let you get a feel for what you are getting yourself into. I met more than a handful of people at DigiPen that didn't know what programming was all about before they enrolled, and it wasn't what they expected. At most universities, these people can usually just change their major, but at DigiPen there isn't too many different majors to change to. They end up switching schools, and being a year behind in their studies...

-Brennecke

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

• 1 month later...
Here is some good advice for people in high school  thinking about going into a school like DigiPen - try to get your feet wet with some programming before enrolling in the school. This will help you with your first year, and it will let you get a feel for what you are getting yourself into. I met more than a handful of people at DigiPen that didn't know what programming was all about before they enrolled, and it wasn't what they expected. At most universities, these people can usually just change their major, but at DigiPen there isn't too many different majors to change to. They end up switching schools, and being a year behind in their studies...

-Brennecke

Adam,

What about those people who want to get into the graphics and animation of the game industry?

Does that person have to learn a ton of programming also?

What does an interviewer look for when a game company wishes to hire someone to be part of their graphics and animation team?

Yes, college and the desire shown by the individual, but what else?

What is that extra bump that gets one person the job and the other…

”Don’t call us we’ll call you”?

Tsel :(

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one know any decent places to go to study programming in England by any chance?

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.