Creative people are clinically insane (or going to be)

Kaftan Barlast

Creativity is akin to insanity, say scientists who have been studying how the mind works.

Brain scans reveal striking similarities in the thought pathways of highly creative people and those with schizophrenia. Both groups lack important receptors used to filter and direct thought.

It could be this uninhibited processing that allows creative people to "think outside the box", say experts from Sweden's Karolinska Institute. In some people, it leads to mental illness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10154775

Ive always known I was a bit eccentric, but this is kind of worrying. Should I be looking at prices for cheap overseas lobotmy?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It all seems to depend on how one defines "creativity." Their results seem to have been driven primarily by the particular definition that the team started with. If you start by testing people who are a little weird but not quite clinically insane and labeling them "creative," you're going to come to the conclusion that "creative" people are rather similar to those whose weirdness takes them across that line.

Anyhow, everybody thinks that they're more creative than they actually are.

Edited by Enoch

For the sake of convenience we can just define creative as someone who has created something at one point or another. If its a drawing, a song, a short story or some kind of technical invention doesnt matter.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

For the sake of convenience we can just define creative as someone who has created something at one point or another. If its a drawing, a song, a short story or some kind of technical invention doesnt matter.

I'm pretty sure almost everyone has created something, so that really doesn't narrow it down by much.

So now there is proof that all artist are insane, I could had tell you that years ago. >_<

Still they jumped to many conclusion about the future, creative people don't become insane overnight not does it happens on mass. The line between eccentric and clinically insane comes down to being maladaptive. The moment that it starts interfering with their lives on a big way.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

But the worrying thing is the conclusion that a creative mind is an unhealthy mind.

It only becomes unhealthy once it goes past a certain point.

Like masturbation? >_<

But the worrying thing is the conclusion that a creative mind is an unhealthy mind.

It is not unhealthy, if being creative is a flaw then my friend the world calls for imperfect men. A unique brain chemistry is not cause to call a person unhealthy.

I reiterate, if someone with an overly creative mind is still able to properly function within society then there is no problem.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Well, I think Im quite strange enough as it is, and I would like to avoid suddenly waking up naked in a grocery store with melons on my feet and going "Oh this is brilliant, I should do this more often"

...which, if this article is right, is only possible if I complete stop my creative ways, get a job as an accountant and take up stamp collecting.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

I believe I may have already mentioned that you can't be normal and extraordinary.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, I think Im quite strange enough as it is, and I would like to avoid suddenly waking up naked in a grocery store with melons on my feet and going "Oh this is brilliant, I should do this more often"

...which, if this article is right, is only possible if I complete stop my creative ways, get a job as an accountant and take up stamp collecting.

Hey, not all loonies are creative. OK? Just because creative people share some commonalities with crazy people doesn't automatically makes every crazy person creative. They only share that they can't filter ideas properly.

The difference lies in both the execution of the piece and interpretation of the idea.

village_idiot.gif

Considering both myself and other animators I've worked with, the thread title is completely true.

You are an animator?! What have you worked on?!

Oh, and do not mistake eccentricity by insanity.

village_idiot.gif