Scary/horror games

entrerix

I've been trying to think of good/decent games that are scary/horrific and there are not many rpgs/rpgish games here. What games am I missing?

System Shock 2

Penumbra

Condemned 1 and 2

Dead Space

Silent Hill

Fear Effect

Shadow Hearts?

ok, some of those could hardly be called rpgs, but they are fairly immersive nonetheless...

is sanitarium a good game?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yahtzee made four horror point-and-click adventure games before he started working at The Escapist. They're really, very good and might be just what you're looking for. They're also completely free.

5 Days a Stranger

7 Days a Skeptic

Trilby's Notes

6 Days a Sacrifice

Bioshock, Doom 3, Stalker, Fear, Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines. That's all that comes to mind atm that's worthwhile.

VMBL?

At least the haunted house part :ermm:

I think you are more likely to find point and click adventures with horror themes. Recently started on Still Life and Post Mortem.

I have another rather unknown game, which uses spooky atmosphere to great effect without being an actual horror game, called 'The Void'.

NecroVision? Sort of like Painkillers evil twin.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Dead Space isn't scary.

FEAR is just creepy. I hear Metro 2033 has its moments too.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

If your computer can somehow run it correctly, System Shock 2 is about as scary as it gets.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Indeed.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Oblivion was pretty horrifying. Don't really want to play anything like it ever again, for sure.

edit: Fallout 3 was creepy for a while when traveling through the sewers/subway. After a bit though the novelty wore off and it ceased being creepy.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

AvP2 with surround sound and played in a darkened room could really hit the creepy, nervous atmosphere... :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

i've been hearing good things about fatal frame 2 directors cut, but it seems i'll have to track down a used copy if I want to play it...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.