Company of Heroes Online

There is access to the CoH closed beta on the CoHO website.

I'm currently downloading it, but in the meantime if anybody else feels like participating then I'll give you my raptr details and we can play. CoHO is free, is scheduled to be released next month and is, naturally, beyond completely awesome.

Cheers

MC

Edit: Read the NDA!

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

sooo, what's the quickest way to obtain a beta key?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Follow the link on the official site, sign up for a raptr account and you get a key.

I've been playing for two days, I'm sure I'm not breaching the NDA by saying it's like CoH but with added win bolted onto it.

And, yes, you get the original SP campaign for free.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hmmm. I'm actually winning games. So time for a non-NDA breaking AAR.

Played a US (Para support coy) guy earlier. He was doing the right thing initially (rifle spam) then I noticed he was making machinegun teams. Lots of them. For Wehrmacht players MG teams are a really important early build unit (mine are enhanced with SPESHUL POWAHZ I'm not allowed to tell you about) but not so much Amis. So I wondered if he was a complete noob but noticed he was pathfinding engies to capture strat points so that was worrying.

Then he went early Greyhound, again exactly what I expected him to do so I went straight to T3 for an up-gunned puma which would really ruin his day. My Pumas also have ToP SecREt SPESHUL POWAHZ I'm not allowed to discuss on pain of death). He captures the centre victory point (1 V 1 map - Langres) and... waits. A sneaky attempt up my right flank with the Greyhound is frustrated by two up-gunned Pumas and now I'm going T4 which I can't believe. By this point he has enough MP for a Sherman but he's wasting it on inf units. CoH can get pretty paper / scissors / stone and it's all about capturing resources and second-guessing your opponent's build order / tactics. Being a para I'm also expecting a pesky airborne inf team with RRs to mess up my light armour.

Basically the guy just went firm and defended his middle strat point, by which time I'm holding fuel points with flame pios and MGs and deploying a flakpanzer onto the field. I trundle down his (unprotected) flank and into his base and it's goodnight Vienna.

I think the guy was a semi-noob who was almost there. We had a chat and I told him that he needed to keep advancing - Americans can spam units but need to keep going. If you let Wehr build up petrol then we unleash horrible armoured forces on you (I always play Blitzkrieg and go for fast armour with tough inf support and don't rely on arty spam).

Anyhow, it was just like a regular online CoH game just with knobs on and me winning! :p

sonsofgygax.JPG

oh. I got the impression CoH is a FPS (I blame the official site). seems I was wrong. but only god knows how I hate playing against other ppl ...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

• 3 weeks later...

man, seriously... I can't find the DL link, a registration page, anything. their site sucks balls.

EDIT: oh, it seems it's just their web-designer who sucks, anyway, I'll try to install it today.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

Installing now. Monte, I need a way to yell at you to play COH or COHO.

PM me and I'll send you my username(s) and you can add me to your friends list. I have a raptr acc and Steam, I might link Steam to CoHO if that's possible.

sonsofgygax.JPG

why don't you just flash your in-game name here for everybody, who might be interested, to see? ;) I've finished tutorials and getting through campaign. the game looks like a wild mix of Generals and Z, I'm liking it

anyway, I've chosen Germany for the "Tigers", does it mean I can't play coop with those, who have an american general?

Walsingham said:

All multiplayer games will be Axis vs Allies. So you'll never see Whermacht or Lher teaming with America or Britan.

Also my Steam Account is [soDOff]Calax. And my Company of Heroes name (for the actual games anyway) is Calax ;)

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

why don't you just flash your in-game name here for everybody, who might be interested, to see? :) I've finished tutorials and getting through campaign. the game looks like a wild mix of Generals and Z, I'm liking it

anyway, I've chosen Germany for the "Tigers", does it mean I can't play coop with those, who have an american general?

My favourite way to play is co-op V computer, you can do this on CoHO. You can have as many commanders as you like, so make an American one too but FFS don't go armour.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I can't figure out how to find people, my american commander's name is Shiver

Walsingham said:

I've played two random games thus far. One was a 1v1 match that I dominated by posting infantry at two of the victory points and the american player just couldn't disloge me without armor that he didn't get. The other was a 3v3 match that I lost because while one of my teammates did pretty well, the other was a defensive doctrine like me, but ONLY produced 88s when he could. So eventually the point he kept trying to go for was surrounded by captured 88s. And he finally hit his 3rd tier as the game ended and I was trying to snip all the 88s into inactivity and then charge around with a panther.

*RAGE!*

If you know what you're doing then this early stage is frustrating as newbie players learn the ropes. Stick to 1 V 1 unless you are playing with friends.

I got pwned by an airborne player who just wouldn't quit today, his base was in ruins but he ground me down. My fault for going straight to T3 and missing out on mortars and decent inf.

At least I learnt a lesson.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Gah, I need to play the game with friends... my allies are to content to sit back and defend rather than go for the points so my opponents always charge up and take 2 points while I snag one and defend it.

Monte, I had a guy with 6 at guns and several supporting units just sitting there because he was afraid to advance.

oh, crap... I spent 3 hours on a mission, and right when I was about to end it I got disconnected :( I guess there's no auto-save for such cases?

Walsingham said:

oh, crap... I spent 3 hours on a mission, and right when I was about to end it I got disconnected :( I guess there's no auto-save for such cases?

Not sure, they might have it set up so that you can go to your last checkpoint (either your objectives changed or you completed a bonus).

I ended up getting frustrated at my Online matches and did some Lehr campaign from Opposing fronts. I love that campaign... putting MG's in slit trenches overlooking water that people try to do amphibious landings is delicious.

well, the xp you earn saves, but the progress doesn't. and guess what? tried the mission now, and the server kicked me out again, only this time half-way through. I'm getting frustrated...

Walsingham said: