Any word on the patch?

And I really never used cover anyways, just like in ME1 (or GTA IV, or pretty much any game with cover that isn't ME2). More a burden than a help in either game...

Perhaps it depends on your character build. I put absolutely no points into any weapon skill, and I have found cover essential.

I will definately purchase if patched, unfortunately I did make my decision based off reviews and the only thing holding me back was the fact that this game was pretty buggy and had some balance problems. Though if Obsidian were to release a patch that fixed any issues and it looks as if this game will have some support, then I will invest once again in Obsidian. I truly believe Obsidian is one of the most talented developers on the market today, they just don't get enough credit for their work. These are the guys that were involved with Fallout and its cult success, I'll always give them a chance because I still enjoy that game even today and I still own the first release copy of both Fallout 1 and 2 to remind me what an amazing RPG can be like. Hell, even those games were buggy and had some serious flaws, but that didn't stop it from being a huge success.

I'm sure with time Alpha Protocol will pick up steam.

Good. I bought the game three days after release, but decided not to play it when I heard the rumors about a patch. Almost lost all hope for a patch when they announced that there will be no sequel. I guess my patience is paying off after all.

Oh look, genius failed a joke spot check. :down:

Looks that way. He even got a little help from the "XD" smiley at the end of the sentence.

Poe's Law.

"Poe's Law points out that it is hard to tell parodies of fundamentalism (or, more generally, any crackpot theory) from the real thing, since they both seem equally insane."

:thumbsup:

Well, I actually bought the game Saturday. At one point I had it on pre-order but after reading some bad reviews I removed it from pre-order.

I picked a copy up used at Gamestop and I'm not regretting it. Great concept, the controls are simple and intuitive enough and being able to have some control of how the story progression works is something I could get used to.

Sure it needs a patch but in the meantime I will continue playing it. I can always start over once the patch comes out.

I would like to see an official post here on the forums saying the patch is still in the works and what kind of bugs/added features the patch till do/add.

But atleast we know that there is a patch in the works

A patch was just released. I'd tell you more about it, but apparently it's just a patch. There are no notes, no information, pretty much nothing. Oh wait, there was this:

"This patch addresses issues with game installation, activation and some other minor technical problems. Just unzip it, replacing APGame.exe in your game folder with the one supplied in this patch."

It's a good final push to show how little anyone cares about AP. Too bad. Could have been a classic too.

I don't think it's the big official patch we're waiting for XD THat would be ridiculous.

It would be. But I fear that this is the official patch, since it is from Sega.

That sounds strange to me: on the official site there isn't any link about the patch and this is a big (and the unique) chance for the Obsidian to sell more units of the game and improve its "reputation" so would be really stupid making an useless patch >_< if THAT is the patch they were talking about, then I think obsidian is crap

Edited by otreblA_SNAKE_ITA

I don't think it's the big official patch we're waiting for XD THat would be ridiculous.

That sounds strange to me: on the official site there isn't any link about the patch and this is a big (and the unique) chance for the Obsidian to sell more units of the game and improve its "reputation" so would be really stupid making an useless patch >_< if THAT is the patch they were talking about, then I think obsidian is crap

To be fair here. The only thing that seems wrong with it are that there aren't seperate versions of the patch because it seems to work for the US version and addressed issues. So, we just have to wait for a european version of the patch. >_<

That sounds strange to me: on the official site there isn't any link about the patch and this is a big (and the unique) chance for the Obsidian to sell more units of the game and improve its "reputation" so would be really stupid making an useless patch o:) if THAT is the patch they were talking about, then I think obsidian is crap

To be fair here. The only thing that seems wrong with it are that there aren't seperate versions of the patch because it seems to work for the US version and addressed issues. So, we just have to wait for a european version of the patch. >_<

...which is indeed a crappy way to treat paying customers. It's one more thing that gives me the impression companies exploit European markets unfairly: US versions are almost always released sooner and are almost always, quite often significantly, cheaper (European customers might not be united nor bitchy enough - allowing various companies to get away with such policies). The US version being the only one to benefit from patching is adding insult to injury.

As for the reputation of Obsidian...this only enforce the impression that they're basically incapable of making games on their own, and have to be supported by IP/brand names to deliver. If Obsidian was a music band, it'd be a cover band pretty much.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

That sounds strange to me: on the official site there isn't any link about the patch and this is a big (and the unique) chance for the Obsidian to sell more units of the game and improve its "reputation" so would be really stupid making an useless patch o:) if THAT is the patch they were talking about, then I think obsidian is crap

...which is indeed a crappy way to treat paying customers. It's one more thing that gives me the impression companies exploit European markets unfairly: US versions are almost always released sooner and are almost always, quite often significantly, cheaper (European customers might not be united nor bitchy enough - allowing various companies to get away with such policies). The US version being the only one to benefit from patching is adding insult to injury.

As for the reputation of Obsidian...this only enforce the impression that they're basically incapable of making games on their own, and have to be supported by IP/brand names to deliver. If Obsidian was a music band, it'd be a cover band pretty much.

What? That I don't understand. KOTOR2 and NWN2 were way way way way buggier than AP ever was. And honestly giving out different versions of patches and adjusting the DRM etc and looking that it works with every version. Isn't that kinda Segas job?

Edited by C2B

The complaints in question almost certainly have to do with Sega, not Obsidian. You could argue that Obsidian has something of a reputation for bugginess, which I would agree with, but in this case it's really about Sega abandoning a franchise ruthlessly (whether that is justified given its sales - is up to you.)

What? That I don't understand. KOTOR2 and NWN2 were way way way way buggier than AP ever was. And honestly giving out different versions of patches and adjusting the DRM etc and looking that it works with every version. Isn't that kinda Segas job?

KOTOR2 and NWN2 were better games out the box and though both suffered from a number of bugs, Obsidian was quick to release fixes and patches. The release now and fix later approach is so prevalent that it's pretty much become an industry standard unfortunately. That doesn't excuse the practice however. But when a company releases a game which is not only bugged, but encumbered with any number of other issues, hardly communicate even with their own community, and then release a minimal patch that apparently breaks all non-US versions of the game...then that is bringing that standard to a new low. The responsibility may or may not lie with Sega, but it reflects poorly on both.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.