Which way do you prefer?

I'm talking about the towns & the teleport system. In DS2, each act had it's own town, and there were waypoints back to the town. You also had the teleport to town spell. Do you want to see that back in DS3? I personally don't want that. Let me explain:

In DS1, when I was playing, I really had the feeling that I was really on a journe through vast lands. It had a special feeling. You never knew when you could make a pitstop. You really had the feeling that you were tracking in the wilds. They ruined that for me in DS2. Yes, it is nice that you could sell away your junk at any time, but that destroyed the adventurous (sorry for my bad spelling) feeling. I rather explore the thich bushes and the vast deserts with a fully packed mule, not knowing when I can make a pitstop, rather than having the feeling that I can return to shop an restock any time I want.

What do you think about this?

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

I would appreciate if a dev could comment on this (if possible off course) :lol:

It indeed feels like 1 world. Exactly the opposite of the world in Dragon Age. DA is a good game, but I miss the big map.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

Does it have to be either or?

Titan Quest had the "moving forward through the world feel" and the ability to teleport back to previously visited towns to sell loot.

I'm somewhat of a gatherer, so I really want to be able to sell stuff regularly. And somewhere to store stuff I want to keep.

I'm kind of in the middle. I think it depends a bit on whether it's single player or multiplayer, too. Multiplayer needs at least some stations/waypoints in various towns or meet-greet hubs, imo. Single player it's a bit optional. If SP and MP have the same maps, then likely you're going to have some teleport aspect.

But yes, I'm tired of "town scrolls", ala Diablo. In multiplayer it's kinda disruptive when ppl in your party constantly want to go to town. >_< However, to accommodate loot-gathers, if you don't have 'town scrolls', you need to have moderate backpack space. DS1 was highly frustrating with its original backpack size (try playing it solo), non-stacking potions, length of time between shops, and no stash. Backpack size mods to double & triple size were the first thing I stuck in the mod folder. :ermm:

The multiplayer of DS1 was a nice middle ground for me. Huge relatively open world that had area towns, but a town HUB teleport system you could use. You had to be a certain chr. lvl to use each town's teleport pad, so unless you liked grinding low lvl monsters endlessly to lvl up, you couldn't skip areas 1st time thru by teleporting, thus it retained the exploration factor.

Titan Quest, as mentioned, did a fair job with it too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I prefer the Sacred/Sacred 2 style: gigantic open worlds for you to explore with lots of different towns and dungeons.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I haven't played either Dungeon Siege game, but I don't want town teleportation to be readily accessible, for two reasons.

One: I want the game to underline the need to pick up only the stuff that's useful for your character. The game needs to block tactics like lugging around every piece of junk in order to sell it later and making tons of money this way. Resource scarcity sucks in real life, but it's a great feature for RPGs if you ask me.

Two: when in a huge dungeon, or somewhere in the wilderness far from civilization, it would enhance the feeling of isolation and danger to know that you can't just pull out the teleport scroll when in trouble. No bailouts! You have to make do with what you find.

Still, DS3 being made in this day and age, I think it's going to go with the accessible way and throw town teleportation scrolls at you from every angle. Hope I'm wrong here.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'm talking about the towns & the teleport system. In DS2, each act had it's own town, and there were waypoints back to the town. You also had the teleport to town spell. Do you want to see that back in DS3? I personally don't want that. Let me explain:

In DS1, when I was playing, I really had the feeling that I was really on a journe through vast lands. It had a special feeling. You never knew when you could make a pitstop. You really had the feeling that you were tracking in the wilds. They ruined that for me in DS2. Yes, it is nice that you could sell away your junk at any time, but that destroyed the adventurous (sorry for my bad spelling) feeling. I rather explore the thich bushes and the vast deserts with a fully packed mule, not knowing when I can make a pitstop, rather than having the feeling that I can return to shop an restock any time I want.

What do you think about this?

I would recommend that you get personal skills of relaxation and enjoyment instead of suggesting that games should be developed with a lot of limitations. In effect: Real life discipline

DS2 did have that intrusive little teleport video to mask loads and discourage town portal back and forth spamming.

You dont have to tell me anything about developing personal skills, and discipline. I practice Bujinkan Ninjutsu, and I probably have 1000 times more discipline than you, and I probably know more about personal skills and self-creation than you ever will.

Sorry for the off-topic message btw :)

- DS has packmules!

Titan Quest had the "moving forward through the world feel" and the ability to teleport back to previously visited towns to sell loot.

I'm somewhat of a gatherer, so I really want to be able to sell stuff regularly. And somewhere to store stuff I want to keep.

As a different approach (I loved Titan Quest so can't say I disliked the way it worked) I kinda like how FATE handled this - having the pet be able to travel back to town and the loot would be sold. It had its limitations (the animal could only carry so much and of course wouldn't be able to fight while gone) so there was always the choice over whether it was worth it to go back to town in person or just send the pet.

Could be an approach that would allow the game to work the Mule (assuming they return) a bit more into the game play.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Seems like the best approach, reading posts here, and from my own knowledge, would be to limit the ability to teleport, atleast in dungeons, much how Final Fantasy 1 would only let you save in "safe" zones, every couple levels in or so. If you spread out the ability to port, people are less likely to abuse it, and it allows those who want to be able to dump their loot at the last town, happy as well.

Its nice to go the hardcore path and say "no teleporting, only carry what you need!" but that is not a very good selling point when your trying to hit up more then just your dedicated, DS1 fans. You have to give atleast some attention to those that don't play that way.

"I rather explore...": this is really about your attitude in your play style. It's not like you have to tp back or use transmute.

I agree w/that in principle, but it applies to almost everything in games, not just teleport. At least in singeplayer. Think a skill is overpowered? Don't use it. etc. But I also understand that just because you can choose not to use something, it doesn't mean a game can't be made better if those elements were/had been improved in some way. :lol:

As long as there aren't horses in the game. The only game where I liked riding horses was Mount & Blade. The others, controlling/keeping track of horses were so annoying I just walked instead. And if you're going to allow anytime-teleport, don't make us buy constant teleport scrolls. Just give us a teleport stone that takes up room in inventory or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

ok I have a problem reaching through moderation, so let me try yet another different approach(even if there was nothing wrong with the creativity of my earlier)...

There is a new movie called The Great Debaters, lead work done by Denzel Washington. It is well recommended for participants of forum communities because it shows a good aspect of offensive communications *including* expressions.

I don't recommend the dead culture that exists all over the world, including the internet. Expressions are good, even if you often need to process through things. It serves no meaning to recommend living culture, because it's self recommending. People always want to lead a lifeful, living life - though forced habits, dishealth etc hinders you from doing what you truly want. I still warn and make distance to non-productive ways.

---

As was earlier directed towards me, in this thread, was a comparison with one blatantly throwing out extreme things like never being able to reach a certain potential. This is very rude behavior.

Edited by Vuguroth

ok I have a problem reaching through moderation, so let me try yet another different approach(even if there was nothing wrong with the creativity of my earlier)...

There is a new movie called The Great Debaters, lead work done by Denzel Washington. It is well recommended for participants of forum communities because it shows a good aspect of offensive communications *including* expressions.

I don't recommend the dead culture that exists all over the world, including the internet. Expressions are good, even if you often need to process through things. It serves no meaning to recommend living culture, because it's self recommending. People always want to lead a lifeful, living life - though forced habits, dishealth etc hinders you from doing what you truly want. I still warn and make distance to non-productive ways.

---

As was earlier directed towards me, in this thread, was a comparison with one blatantly throwing out extreme things like never being able to reach a certain potential. This is very rude behavior.

- DS has packmules!

• 1 month later...

I believe the Mule's out though it makes a brief appearance. Not sure what the developers mean by this though.

I'm playing TQ-IM at the moment and it's not bad but I have fonder memories of DS1, a massive albeit linear world to explore. It's definitely better than DS2 but you need cargo capacity!!! One things about TQ though is that there's some nice and highly expensive pieces of equipment which you need gold for. The ability to buy 'uber' equipment at uber prices is good, as long as you've got the money. I'm comfortable lumping treasure or porting it back but I hate wasting stuff.

Perhaps if the map is more web than linear, something like DS1's multiplayer map? Mules\massive pack capacity or teleport to town spells are a must though.

As a different approach (I loved Titan Quest so can't say I disliked the way it worked) I kinda like how FATE handled this - having the pet be able to travel back to town and the loot would be sold. It had its limitations (the animal could only carry so much and of course wouldn't be able to fight while gone) so there was always the choice over whether it was worth it to go back to town in person or just send the pet.

Could be an approach that would allow the game to work the Mule (assuming they return) a bit more into the game play.