Torchlight

Since I've got Steam it's been meh-tastic. I've discovered that my awesome, CERN quality gaming rig isn't remotely bothered by it running in the background and I'd sort of forgotten it was there.

However, Torchlight is on there for peanuts. I fancy a Diablo-esque dungeon stomper, any ideas on whether it's worth the effort?

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

It's pretty much a Diablo II clone, and that in the actual sense of the word. So if you want to play DII with better graphics, new skills, characters and levels, it's awesome. Just don't expect any great innovation, there are a few new things, but it's mostly more of the same.

Stay away from the cheats and you'll have plenty of fun.

Wish there was co-op though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's pretty much a Diablo II clone, and that in the actual sense of the word. So if you want to play DII with better graphics, new skills, characters and levels, it's awesome. Just don't expect any great innovation, there are a few new things, but it's mostly more of the same.

I endorse this statement, though tbh I put it down rather quickly.

the campaign is very short, took me, what, 5 hours to beat the game. but you can keep playing after that. but that was before I figured out there was no co-op, so I got rid of the game. no hack and slash game is worth it without LAN support. I guess I won't be playing Diablo III

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm D/L'ing the demo now.

As for the lack of LAN for D3, why not battle.net?

D3 is the next big thing for me, I'll use battle.net with friends only (hopefully lots of the guys from here will be playing).

sonsofgygax.JPG

I quickly put it down as well, but only because I decided to open the developper console and the game ran out of interesting dungeons.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's a slick, well made Diablo II clone. For me the first game to do it 'right' since D2. The pity is that as a SP game, after beating it a few times and going up the levels, you sort of run out of reasons to keep playing - and when it first came out the loot mechanics were a little wonky (crafting). Still, worth it if you get it cheap.

I play such games only with close friends. and they don't have the resources to play D3 over battlenet. and I don't have the desire. to tell you the truth last Blizzard game I played extensively was Starcraft (or Diablo 2, whichever came last), Battlenet + Warcraft 3 design pretty much made Blizz non-existent in my eyes. I'm very sceptical about D3, pretty hard to reach the same hights as D2 did.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm very sceptical about D3, pretty hard to reach the same hights as D2 did.

That's interesting, most people I know are very pumped about D3.

Why the doubts? I've been following it fairly closely and see nothing to dissuade me that it's going to be an uber-polished hack'n'slash gem of a title. The only thing that doesn't do it for me are the new classes, I was happy with the old ones but given that I will play a savage barbarian type anyway I can live with it.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I liked it, but I also stopped playing before the finish. Something about it wasn't very addictive for me, couldn't tell you what exactly. But it's a fine dungeon-stomper. o:)

Also, be sure to play on one of the harder difficulties. 'Normal' is way way way too easy for experienced action-rpg players.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

well, not counting the lack of LAN support? )

first of all the new character design. game keeps getting more and more cartoonish, just like Warcraft did. It totally screwed up the WC franchise for me, I'm afraid the same will happen with D.

then there's th game mechanics. you know how D2's interface relied on just 2 buttons, both on the mouse? that was very neat (Borderlands went even further, just the "fire" button's enough) and I'm afraid they're gonna change the combat system. that won't work for me. but at the same time leaving it as it was in D2 wouldn't be enough for me either. they'll have to come up with something revolutionary. and I don't think they can.

you brought up the new classes already. as for the rest, I believe it will be a game very well done, but it won't be the game I wanted it to be )

Walsingham said:

I don't normally mind some 'cartoon-y' to a game, but yea...color wise Torchlight was very garish in some spots. Also, some of the camera view stuff began to annoy me, IIRC...making it hard to pick up items or target things here and there. But for the price worth having in the collection, imo. o:)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

you can light up loot to see it through walls. and moneys pick itself up

Walsingham said:

Don't overuse enchanting and play Very Hard and it's definitely worth it. Actually the only gripe i have with Torchlight is that it's too easy, even very hard is just like normal difficulty. :/

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I wasn't a great fan of it. I thought it was too short and the lack of multiplayer was a death sentence. I played through the campaign and was left with a feeling of meh. I thought the character system and the skills were kinda boring. The randomized dungeon were nice at first, but then became kinda soulless. No interesting encounters except from a handful of boss fights.

It has nothing on Titan Quest for instance.

you can light up loot to see it through walls. and moneys pick itself up

At this point I barely remember exactly what about the item picking up was annoying me...maybe it was a bug. Sometimes items would 'drop' behind barrels or tables or corners and I was unable to 'walk' close enough to pick them up, for instance...loot hotkey or not. Plus targeting enemies (as a spell caster) felt awkward here and there.

Edited by LadyCrimson