RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

In a bizarre inversion of 'video killed the radio star' 4E D&D was the first pen and paper RPG to actually copy computer game (specifically MMORPG) style mechanics to attract da kidz to tabletop gaming.

Killing the game in a collapsing, blazing black hole of contradictory nothingness as a result.

I said this 4 posts up :-

@entrerix: 4e isn't bad, it's perfectly fun, easy to learn and playable, it's just very different.

Why did "give fighters something to do other than auto attack and trip" get turned into "computer games." A sad day.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

In a bizarre inversion of 'video killed the radio star' 4E D&D was the first pen and paper RPG to actually copy computer game (specifically MMORPG) style mechanics to attract da kidz to tabletop gaming.

Killing the game in a collapsing, blazing black hole of contradictory nothingness as a result.

And resulting in the puppy that they kicked by suddenly yanking all their licenses, Paizo, in laughing all the way to the bank.

Assumption on my part, but it would appear that going from doing the legwork for wotc into creating a better 3.5 D&D under the name of Pathfinder seems to have worked just fine for them.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

They are both laughing in the bank then, last I heard 4e was the fastest selling DnD edition ever or something to that effect.

Maybe, but it'll be interesting to see how it pans in the long run.

I can only speak for myself, I gof about, oh, 4 meters of D&D stuff on the shelf, and 4th edition is the only one I don't own a single book from. :-

They got what they wanted, they ditched the old grognards, who are still free to continue playing the older versions, and gained the new younger crowd.

Some more stuff on Cryptic's Neverwinter MMO from the site via NeoGAF:

100 years have passed since Spellplague consumed the world of Faer
Edited by Purkake

They got what they wanted, they ditched the old grognards, who are still free to continue playing the older versions, and gained the new younger crowd.

Who you calling "younger?"

4e is the only PnP RPG I actually own books for.

i bought 4e the day it came out, so did my friends, within a year we were back to our homebrew 3.5 which we all enjoyed much more. but we really did go enthusiastically into the new game. It isnt a TERRIBLE game, but it was a huge step backwards imo (or maybe a step sideways is more apt)

so yeah im not really surprised it was a fast seller, 3e was a great improvement for many players over 2e, so i think many were hopeful about 4e... I still have hopes that maybe 5e will strike the right balance between 3 and 4, but I definitely won't buy any more 4e books after having effectively wasted about 100$ on them during the first year.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Im confused. If NWN MMO is going to be based on D&D 4E, what makes it different from D&D Online?

The NW setting, 4e and DDO is now free with microtransactions.

Unless you were making a clever joke, in that case, oh snap

Who you calling "younger?"

4e is the only PnP RPG I actually own books for.

Heathen!

I mean the hipper crowd that plays MMOs and is generally cool(er).

So Cryptic is the Obsidian of MMOs?

av-27279.png

I mean the hipper crowd that plays MMOs and is generally cool(er).

I take offense to all three of those descriptions. I've never been accused of being hip or cool in my life. And I've not touched an MMO in over a year.

Edited by Tale

I think it's more likely that the idea it's aimed at MMO players is utter nonse. Similar to how people claimed 3e was aimed at Diablo players.

Edited by Tale

Even so, they did revamp a whole bunch of things and took quite a few ques from MMOs. Which is in no way bad, but it does make the whole game feel different.

But whatever, there are much better systems out there.

@MC: I didn't mean it as an insult. Were you, by any chance, ditched?

Edited by Purkake

Generally gaming companies tend to aim for the old grognards, who will generally have a lot more disposable income than the MMO kiddies. But whatevah.

My stint with the MMOs was done in the 90s, when they were text-based and called MUDs.

Yeah, we had multi-player online RPGs when some of you kids were still in diapers. :(

Even so, they did revamp a whole bunch of things and took quite a few ques from MMOs.

Like what? Did they have you buying new versions of the exact same spell every 7 levels when I wasn't looking? Class trainers? Was raiding implemented? Mana? Health regen between battles? Remove the need for sleep/extended rest altogether?

Everytime I see this, the only similarity between 4E and MMOs they can bring up is balanced play and the fact that the Fighter isn't doing only auto-attacks anymore. Which is hardly taking a cue from MMOs and more recognizing a blatant problem of old editions and fixing it, something MMOs just happened to beat them to.

Even the trinity system is a classic of D&D back to 1e. It's just more necessary now since the group Wizard isn't going to one-shot the enemy before the Fighter can even engage.

Edited by Tale

in my neighborhood/larger social circle, mmo's are considered much more nerdy than p&p games. i take it that is not so in other places/with other groups?

ive never been to any convention for either type of game so i dont know what the crowds are like at such gatherings.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Generally gaming companies tend to aim for the old grognards, who will generally have a lot more disposable income than the MMO kiddies. But whatevah.

My stint with the MMOs was done in the 90s, when they were text-based and called MUDs.

Yeah, we had multi-player online RPGs when some of you kids were still in diapers. :lol:

I know about MUDs. The disposable income thing was why WotC's new direction seemed weird at first, but looks like it worked out pretty well(so far). I guess it's less going for young people specifically, but generally moving away from the old timers and focusing on expanding the target audience.

Even so, they did revamp a whole bunch of things and took quite a few ques from MMOs.

Like what? Did they have you buying new versions of the exact same spell every 7 levels when I wasn't looking? Class trainers? Was raiding implemented? Mana? Health regen between battles? Remove the need for sleep/extended rest altogether?

Everytime I see this, the only similarity between 4E and MMOs they can bring up is balanced play and the fact that the Fighter isn't doing only auto-attacks anymore. Which is hardly taking a cue from MMOs and more recognizing a blatant problem of old editions and fixing it, something MMOs just happened to beat them to.

Even the trinity system is a classic of D&D back to 1e. It's just more necessary now since the group Wizard isn't going to one-shot the enemy before the Fighter can even engage.

Take a deep breath, I didn't say it was bad, in fact most of the stuff is an improvement. My point was that it is different and a whole bunch of people don't like big changes :)

As for the similarities themselves, I was mainly thinking of the 4 role thing - tank, dps, support and whatever the fourth one was, the recharging ability/spell thing and apparent focus on combat. I don't know what has changed at this point, my last brush with 4e was probably 2 years ago.

I also remember really disliking the saving throw system and standardized damage system, but that has less to do with MMOs.

Edited by Purkake

Sounds almost how NWN worked with modules were you can 'team up' with other Ps should complete them. Nothing new here. Interesting how they go out of their way to clarify that the game isn't NWN3. So, what's it being called NWN OMG? HAHA!

Obsidian is probably developing NWN3, and BG3, and JE2, SS2, MDK3, and SRPG2, and any other sequel to BIO's games then they'll work to making sequels to Bethesda's games. <>

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.