RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

do the people who hack consoles know that computers exist? cause those usually come pre "hacked" as far as i know...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I just bought two games I already own off of Steam: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

They are on 75% sale and I am weak.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

damn, you know a deal is good when it makes you spend money on something you already own just to make yourself feel like you got a deal....

steam must facilitate a ridiculous amount of transactions

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

No, the game should change for the sake of improving it. TB system ought to be obsolite by now - pause is perfectly acceptable way of managing units in RT tactical games.

See, that is exactly the attitude that killed off good tactical games (and a lot of other genres). Why turn it into RTS #237 when there are already 236 pre-existing ones? They are re-skinned action games with the focus on action and it's games mechanics designed aroung keeping up a certain pace.

It joined the club of Action-Roleplaying games (more action, less rpg), Action-Adventure games (more action, less adventure) and now Real Time (action) Strategy (Lots of action, strategy paid a token lip service to) etc.

Like it or not, there are still a group of people (i.e. ME!) who likes things the other way around and slap their foreheads when people out there wants whatever franchise in a completely different genre to turn into an Action-Something (more action, less something), hence my previous comment about grey goo. It just becomes a remake with no relevance other than name recognition.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

No, the game should change for the sake of improving it. TB system ought to be obsolite by now - pause is perfectly acceptable way of managing units in RT tactical games.

See, that is exactly the attitude that killed off good tactical games (and a lot of other genres). Why turn it into RTS #237 when there are already 236 pre-existing ones? They are re-skinned action games with the focus on action and it's games mechanics designed aroung keeping up a certain pace.

Really?

So that

I just bought two games I already own off of Steam: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

They are on 75% sale and I am weak.

Why wouldn't they include Clear Sky? Seems kind of weird to just leave it out.

As for why they hacked the PS3, it's because they could.

As is the thought that JA2 is somehow inevitably tied to TB combat solution and that the game consist of nothing else of importance.

See, this is where you go wrong. The very thing that makes JA2 is its combat and its combat mechanics. Sure, it has some quirky characters and fun dialogues, but at its heart, it is the combat you spend 90% of the time doing. It sure isn't the generic island setting or the simple gfx. So, take out the 90% of the game that made it stand out from the crowd and make it yet another rts? What would be it's selling point? Grey goo #238?

A pox upon Westwood Studios :(

All because they decided to compensate for a mediocre and uninspired Dune release by adding more "twitch" to Dune 2, hoping that it could make up for it's short comings by adding a contrived sense of urgency by moving all the counters on the board at once. Unfortunately, it turned out in the long run to be financially successful formula that killed off innovation.

Therefore we are still, 20 years later, stuck with same old, same old. Sure, sometimes they tried changing the viscosity of the goo, sometimes trying lighter or darker shades of grey, but in the end, it is still the same old stale, grey goo.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Jagged Alliance 2 wasn't about the action; it was about the thinking. TB is perfect.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Diablo 3 crafting walkthrough featuring interface shots and crafting.

You can now add sockets to any item and they still have repairable items and hardcore mode.

I'm not impressed. Not unimpressed, mind you, but not impressed either.

This caravan will 'follow' you from town to town and can be upgraded? Seems odd. Also, if you pause the video I notice that one attribute of an item is "increases vendor value"....oh boy? I do like being able to craft more freely via a NPC rather than everyone rushing to that Act quest.

Breaking down stuff for parts could be useful, but knowing Blizzard the chance of getting good parts from that will be 1 in 7 trillion. hehe

And...is that 20 detached human feet he has in inventory, or just hunks of meat, or something else? I can't quite tell. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

oh wow... I am speechless. Diablo 3 actually looks like **** now compared to what I remember seeing a year ago when they introduced barbarian. it's so sad

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I have more faith in Torchlight 2 now, jeez. I liked the early gameplay footage so much, and now I see this video and it just doesn't click

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.