RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Starcraft is SC

that's exactly what I meant, sorry, should've made it more clear

I have to disagree with both of you. SC is and always will be Star Control.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

huh? it's like they're admitting, "we suck at making games". wth, I love JA2 but I don't want to replay it all over again for the, what, fifth time? :shifty: anyway, isn't there a JA3 already? I thought I saw reviews and stuff...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"Adressing the weak spots".... what weak spots?!? :)

The game will now have have 3d cutscenes and more explosions.

Ah yes, not enough immersion, cinematic, epic, heroic, hand holding, spoon feeding etc. :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They better play it safe. If the player runs the risk of being exposed to impending fun, they can always throw real-time action, QTE's and minigames at the player to protect him against a joyful experience. Minigames are particularly effective at ensuring a title ends up in the grey goo that seems to be the majoritys favourite these days.

Gaming gruel for the people :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

huh? it's like they're admitting, "we suck at making games". wth, I love JA2 but I don't want to replay it all over again for the, what, fifth time? :shifty: anyway, isn't there a JA3 already? I thought I saw reviews and stuff...

After development hell with various Russian devs it

Isometric view, 2D engine, and TB combat – they were fine a decade ago but to sell today you really should do better.

SWAT 4 was the only squad-based game I've played in a long time so I'm not an expert or anything, but I can't see how it is possible to make a good tactical game other than turn-based. real-time won't work for a couple of reasons. maybe make it like Rainbow 6 or Frozen Synapse? still I'm afraid it's too complicated for casual gamers and consoles.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"Adressing the weak spots".... what weak spots?!? :shifty:

No Auto-Combat insta-win button...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

SWAT 4 was the only squad-based game I've played in a long time so I'm not an expert or anything, but I can't see how it is possible to make a good tactical game other than turn-based. real-time won't work for a couple of reasons.

Not saying it isn't possible, but I haven't seen a good combination of real time and tactical squad based combat yet. Much less anything that combines action games and strategy. The only thing that came close was the Infinity Engine games and they weren't genuine real time games (nor able to handle three dozen individuals).

real-time won't work for a couple of reasons.

Such as?

as noted above I don't know how (or don't have the necessary skills) to control 4+ characters simultaneously. you either rely on AI or bottle-neck the enemy forces so the player could relax a little. a tactical game presumes careful planning and in a real-time game you just don't have time to do it. Rainbow 6 had a pretty smart system, but it was a tactical shooter. how do you do it in a game like JA? pause? without the possibility to make stacks of orders it'll become a nightmare. or just make the game very easy and dumb down the adversary AI.

Walsingham said:

yeah, I mentioned Frozen Synapse. I think it's pretty cool of a game. but I think it's still not enough to expand the fan base. it'll be a game strictly for the original JA2 players. and we can live with turn-based. change it for the sake of changing?

Walsingham said:

my point exactly, and don't think anyone in his right mind would want to do that to JA2

Walsingham said:

yeah, I mentioned Frozen Synapse. I think it's pretty cool of a game. but I think it's still not enough to expand the fan base. it'll be a game strictly for the original JA2 players. and we can live with turn-based. change it for the sake of changing?

No, the game should change for the sake of improving it. TB system ought to be obsolite by now - pause is perfectly acceptable way of managing units in RT tactical games. But more important is the point of who the target audience is - because if you give up on gaining new players then the franchise and possibly the entire genre will simply be slowly milked into oblivion.

No, the game should change for the sake of improving it

in case of JA2 I don't think it would be an improvement

Walsingham said:

didnt relic make homeworld?

or was that the joke?

They did make homeworld, but lost the license to it. Although they recently re-aquired it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.